practising with Mechanical broad heads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

zman

practising with Mechanical broad heads

Post by zman »

I am going to buy some mechanical broad heads on the weekend because I am not happy with the fixed ones that came with the excalibur right stuff package , can i shoot them into my target and pull them out the same way I pull the feild tips out , I bought the block target and it say i can use mechanical on it aswell
georgiaboy

Re: practising with Mechanical broad heads

Post by georgiaboy »

What kind of mech. are you going to use?
I shoot spitfire's and I practice with fieldtip's or spitfire practice head's..,poi is the same with either one.
If your not going to use spitfire's you may consider buying two set's...one to hunt with and one to practice with.
I have a block target also,never shot real mechs in it...but I think it would be rough on the blades!! especially thin blades(rage)
Good luck!!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I don't know about other brands of mechanicals but the Rage come with a practice head to use so you're not shooting the actual broadheads.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wabi

Post by wabi »

A good foam target is fine.

Problem is, once you shoot one in the target there's a very good chance you'll need new blades. The foam will dull & bend blades, and I don't like to chance using the head to hunt with once it's been shot into a target. Even if it looks good, and feels sharp there's still a risk it may not work as it should.

I've been testing a couple brands of mechanicals this year and the accuracy is great, but I still don't have enough confidence to use them on deer, yet. Hoping to get a shot at a coyote to see how they work on game. (long story, but I had a mechanical fail to open on a deer a few years back - killed the deer, but it scared me into going back to fixed blades)
wabi
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

If this helps your confidence with mechanicals i use spitfire 100gr 3 blade heads.

Here is a blood trail from another deer shot with the spitfire head.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

When i practice with my Excalibur Xact mechanical broad heads I use one and unscrew the head where it penetrates the target before I pull the arrow back out this prevents the blades from bending. After so many practice shots I change the blades on this practice only head.
I always use a new mechanical broad head when hunting!
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I started using the NAP spitfire XP pros this year and have had good luck with them. I bought 18 of them off a guy last winter. 17 of them were brand new and 1 he had practiced with. I tried shooting that one into a layered foam target and that wasn't such a good deal. I super glued the blades shut on the used one and practice with it using my Delta target. That has worked really well for me. If 1 of the blades works loose I just reglue it. I found that once I got my Vixen and Ibex sighted in using it I haven't been too worried about shooting it a bunch of times. They all seem to fly about the same as the practice head and my field points. Maybe seem a little unconventional, but I do what works for me. :D
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

Wow, the deer in the posted picture sure was leaking oil fast! Why aren't you happy with the Boltcutters? Is there anything in particular? One of the things that I really like about the bolt cutters is that they are 150 gr. Bill T. said that one of the ways to keep the arrows accurate with the high speeds that Excaliburs are currently achieving was to increase the weight at the end of the arrow.

Regards,

KURISU
fratri

Post by fratri »

I just started using mechanicals a few weeks ago, a friend told me about a little trick, use dental floss to wrap around the blades so I did and it works well. Every 4-5 shots the dental floss needs to be changed and rewrapped but blades don't open.
"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri