SpitFires?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

weezy

SpitFires?

Post by weezy »

Whoe uses them and how have they performed on deer?I want to hear the good and the bad(if any).

Im thinking about switching to an expandable next year and im trying to narrow down which ones work the best.Any suggestions?

I currently use g5 Striker mags but their so big that if theres some wind it effects the flight pretty bad and goes off course as much as 3-5 inches sometimes so im looking for one that shoots exactly like field points
Meat Hunter

Re: SpitFires?

Post by Meat Hunter »

Weezy,

In my experience, Spitfires replicate the performance of field tips. In the past, I have used the Spitfire practice tips and they performed the same as the hunting Spitfires.

You will see this notice on the NAP site; you are cautioned against taking high angle shots. With high angle shots, there is a tendency for one of the blades to contact first and cause a ricochet. Unlike some of the popular mechanicals (“O” rings, springs and dental elastics), I have never had a Spitfire open before impact with my 270 fps Vixen.

With broadside shots, Spitfires have performed very well for me. They have always opened upon impact and I have always gotten complete pass troughs.

Due to Spitfires having a tendency to ricochet with high angle shots, I have recently changed to Excalibur X-Act mechanicals. These mechanical have longer points than does Spitfires and I am of the opinion that they may allow the point to penetrate earlier and thus may allow for higher angle shots. I have yet to hunt with my new Excalibur X-Act mechanicals so I cannot confirm this.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I like them and they leave a big hole and great blood trails.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I started using the 100 gr spitfire BH's this yr. I am phazing out my montec BH's, they are very good but cost is too high. So the spitfire has given me 2 deer & 2 pass-throughs, i will keep them as mech. fer the price.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I have been very happy with the performance of the NAP Spitfires. I shoot a 125g.

This is a typical blood trail from a running deer (after the shot) taken with a double lung hit. I have never had a problem with them.

Bob

Typical Entrance hole:

Typical exit hole:

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
EZKILL

Post by EZKILL »

Spitfire XP Pro Series BROADHEADS NEVER LOST A DEER WITH THESE XP 125gr "I have used these broadheads for three years and never had a problem
Equinox
Custom Arrows by crazyfarmer
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

I use the 100 gr shot a spike this season complete passthru deer dropped within site. They group the same as my field points. :D
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
weezy

Post by weezy »

I think i'll give them a try...what about quatering shots?Will they still open fully?
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

planter wrote:No O-Rings with Spitfires :?: That alone interests me and I trying to move up in cutting diameter from my little 100gr. Rockets. They also don't seem to be the same BH as they were before Trophy Ridge bought them out.

I have been on the horns of a dilemma regarding choosing a new BH and was NOT impressed with the RAGE in the field or at the cash register. The Slicks just did not fly very well for me but in their defense I did not sight in the bow for those heads. I just like to be able to screw on a BH and have it shoot like the field tip it replaced and the rockets have been my go to head for well over ten years. Maybe spitfire will do the trick next season. :D

I used to use "pluckets" Bloodtrailers and I would be surprized if I was not the only guy who ever shot them..They can't still be making them. :roll:

Peace Out!!

No "O" rings but about the same pain at the cash register. Cheaper if you get them on "Ebay" off season or in the fall NAP always runs a rebate on them which will save you a few bucks.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

My Doe was a qtr. to me at 14 yds worked well she ran a short 18 yds n piled up. Got her right behine the right leg n it came out just afore the diaphram on left side. Got mine on fleabay early summer $25 a pak of 3 1 1/2" cut & i got 2 paks $54.00 including shipping
Half Bubble Off BD360

Mister B

Post by Mister B »

I have killed 4 deer with them and they performed well on ground level shots. However, I have had two, yes two glance shots this year alone in which I didn't find the deer. Another factor to consider. Of the ones I retrieved there was hardly any blood trails. The blades cut such a large hole that the deer's insides protruded and stopped up the exit holes completely. My son took one of the eight points that I had a glance shot on earlier in the bow season with his gun. There was a gash on its side that had already begun to heal over from where the Spitfire glanced. I just got in some Slick Trick Mags and intend to try them. They also fly like my field tips. I used to shoot Thunderheads in my vertical bow and love finding a good blood trail but Thunderheads don't fly near as true as the Tricks out of my CB's.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
Tom

Post by Tom »

weezy wrote:I think i'll give them a try...what about quatering shots?Will they still open fully?
People the ANGLE of entry matters too all heads and not just mechanicals. If the angle of shot is greater then the angle of the blades on the head, then you will have problems. The tip of the head must begin tracking into the animal before the blades touch. If the blades get to touch first (fixed or mechanical) before the tip starts into the animal, then physics will take a step forth and start a deflection.

I have one of the first designs of the NAP Spitfire and it always works for me. Remember to use only NEW CLIPS when hunting. Also I have found that the angle of shot can be as good or greater then most heads out there.

Hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Tom wrote:
weezy wrote:I think i'll give them a try...what about quatering shots?Will they still open fully?
People the ANGLE of entry matters too all heads and not just mechanicals. If the angle of shot is greater then the angle of the blades on the head, then you will have problems. The tip of the head must begin tracking into the animal before the blades touch. If the blades get to touch first (fixed or mechanical) before the tip starts into the animal, then physics will take a step forth and start a deflection.
Agreed . . .that's another reason I like the long ferrule broadheads. I do like the Spitfires because that fly very well. I still put a dental elastic on them. Never shot a deer but I did connect on a ground hog at 40 yards. The Spitfires are deadly accurate.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I shot a 140lb hog last week...sharp angle away and when I cleaned the hog the liver had a hole about the size of a nickle.
I don't think I had full deployment but the spitfire did it's job!!
All the deer iv'e shot I have had full deployment!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

BH's in general, Spitfire or any other model. How severe of an angle will you shoot a game animal ? Its not about if'en a BH can kill or enter its about yer judgement call on the shot ? Think about my statement fer a few seconds, do you as a hunter accept yer actions when you pull the trigger ? Good or bad its always yer choice to shoot! I have killed over 200 tick toters & i don't hate them as bad now as i did when i was young & foolish. I pick my shot or let it walk, its either a clear shot fer me or no shot fer me. If i screw up it ain't the Bow or ML or string or BH its ME! I take responsability fer causing the hurt on an animal. Too many ppl shoot at game they knowed they can't get a clear shot on but refuse to let that animal live to see another day & another chance to hunt it!
Half Bubble Off BD360