Gun Week In Ohio

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DaveShooter

Gun Week In Ohio

Post by DaveShooter »

I hunted 5 or 6 times this week of the Ohio Shotgun/ Muzzloader Season.
I haven't had this much fun in yrs. The first day I was nodding off in my ground chair . I turnned and got busted by a 6 point mr sneaky buck snorting like all get out. Buck ran back to a friend and still was snorting like crazy. Kevin is his name he shot but missed. 2nd day rained like all get out. 3rd day was snowing and I pulled a shot at a doe more than 100 yds through thick stuff .Clipped a sappling in front of the deer and didn't make contact with deer. 3rd day beautiful day in the woods ton of tree-nutters and a big red-headed woodpecker. No deer but a grand time with friends in God's nature. It sure was all grown up and thick like you wouldn't even believe wher I was. The 2nd day my buddys son took a button buck in the thick stuff on bent knees approx 80 yards with not much window to shoot through in the thickets.Happy for him and again all in good clean fun. :D :D :D
gerald strine

Re: Gun Week In Ohio

Post by gerald strine »

you do not need a kill to enjoy the hunt if you did none of us would do it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Went out again today for the third time this week.
Still haven't fired a shot at a critter, but I had fun today. The snow was falling and that's one of my favorite times to be out in the woods! The cold crisp air and silence can put a spell on me. I can let my mind take me back in time and imagine how it was for my ancestors.
I didn't take my tea/coffee kettle along today, and I wished I had brought it a couple times. Scouting the creek looking for deer crossings, and I passed up a couple spots that would have been great places to stop, relax, and brew up a cup of tea or coffee. :D
If the snow keeps falling I may go again tomorrow, and if I do I will take a trail snack and my tea kettle along.

Only shot I've taken all week was when I got back to our shooting range on my way out today. I've been carrying the T/C Hawken this week, and decided to shoot it to test the load I had in the barrel. It went off perfectly, and I killed the old crushed pop can at 40 or so yards with no problems. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

Sounds like a good time Wabi, I went out only the first 3 hrs of Monday and had the same group of 2 does/4 yearlings come by twice but as it was the first morning I held off on shooting, I also had my T/C out for the hunt. I'll go out the last 2 hrs this eve. and sit along the hay field and see if any come out to feed.
Sure is nice out there with a small skiff of snow---My thermos will be along side me and I would feel empty handed if I didn't have it.
Give it a try,What the heck!
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

gerald strine wrote:you do not need a kill to enjoy the hunt if you did none of us would do it.
So true on that one.... :D :D :D
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

wabi wrote:Went out again today for the third time this week.
Still haven't fired a shot at a critter, but I had fun today. The snow was falling and that's one of my favorite times to be out in the woods! The cold crisp air and silence can put a spell on me. I can let my mind take me back in time and imagine how it was for my ancestors.
I didn't take my tea/coffee kettle along today, and I wished I had brought it a couple times. Scouting the creek looking for deer crossings, and I passed up a couple spots that would have been great places to stop, relax, and brew up a cup of tea or coffee. :D
If the snow keeps falling I may go again tomorrow, and if I do I will take a trail snack and my tea kettle along.

Only shot I've taken all week was when I got back to our shooting range on my way out today. I've been carrying the T/C Hawken this week, and decided to shoot it to test the load I had in the barrel. It went off perfectly, and I killed the old crushed pop can at 40 or so yards with no problems. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey Wabi-- Did ya have a good blood trail on that pop can??? Only kidding :D Seriously half the fun is seeing sometimes if the o'le smoke pole will go off when trigger is pulled. :D
weezy

Post by weezy »

Tried to do a deer drive and push some deer to my Dad.I jumped two doe's but they circled back around me and went the opposite way I was trying to push them.Oh well,we never seem to have much luck during gun season.

Are you guys noticing alot less gun hunters around where you hunt?
I seen 1 other guy hunting half mile down the road and that was it.Which hurts our hunting because theres big woods(200-400 acres) on either side of us and the deer just hold up in there if nobodys hunting,and no one was hunting the 5 days we went out :? Its good when theres a bunch of guys pushing deer from woods to woods but it seems like a big decline of gun hunters within the last 3 or 4 years.Maby thats just the case in my area :?: