Got my son to the trap range today..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Got my son to the trap range today..

Post by Pydpiper »

Been going stir crazy with this controlled hunt, so I decided to see what my boy could do on some clay at Oxford fish and game. Got him this gun a few weeks ago, he is going to make me poor with all the shells he is going through.
Today he did a round of 15, knocked down 3, the last 2 in a row. Took him a bit to understand what leading is, but I can see this becoming something we do a little more often.
Hunter is 8.

His first busted clay, I really wish I had got it on video, but I had my hands full launching birds and keeping an eye on him, the look in his eye when he seen the bird go to dust is embedded in my mind forever, I swear I was grinning twice as much as him.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
lscha

Re: Got my son to the trap range today..

Post by lscha »

That's cool!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Those will be great memories for sure :!:
I bet with another years growth that gun will handle a lot easier and their will be a lot more dusted birds.
The price of shells is well worth it even if they are .410 shells $ :shock: ouch.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

Looks great Pyd!

Way to lead him to a better life.

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by WalknTall »

Very cool! It's all about the memories!
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much", John Wayne
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

He's having a blast look at that smile! :D
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks everyone!
I have had some PM's about the LOP of the gun and we appreciate it, we really do!
The gun he has is an 870 20 gauge, what Remington calls a "compact". It is a 13" LOP. Remington makes three small models, with the largest being this "compact" that he has, second smaller is a "youth" at 12" LOP, then the "youth JR." at 11" LOP. I wanted a smaller one but when this thing went on sale I had to make a quick decision, so I bought it, it was the only one there and the price couldn't be beat.
We have a stock on order that is 2" smaller, but having some border issues with it. Hunter refuses to let this gun sit around without being used while we wait, and I am OK with that.
Once the proper gear is in for it I will have him fitted to the gun and maintain it as he grows. The 870 receiver is a pretty versatile starting point, he will grow in to it for many years to come, but right now with so few options available off the shelf here in Canada I had to buy what came along first. In the meantime he is not being taught to accept things they way they are, he understands that the gun isn't a perfect fit and soon it will all come together. The second picture he looks like he is leaning the wrong way, that is just me trying to get a picture of the shot, his little body is just being moved back from the load.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great pics!! Good to see the youngin's out enjoying some shooting,
The new stock will surely make a difference and the bulky winter clothing changes the game too!!
Keep it up guts!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads