Lost Limbsaver can cost you the shot!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RussJohnson

Lost Limbsaver can cost you the shot!

Post by RussJohnson »

:evil: My son happened to notice I had lost another Limbsaver off my Vortex Crossbow. I had lost one earlier in the season when it almost took my eye out. It flew off during a practice shot in the back yard.I called Limbsaver and they told me that the "High Powered " Crossbows were giving them some problems.They offered to send me some replacements. They also mentioned they were coming out with a new Crossbow product in 2011. During the very long wait(3 or 4 weeks) for the replacements I did not have the oportunity to take a shot at a deer. Turns out that was a good thing. When I recieved the replacements I installed a new one on the left side of the bow.Still no shots at a deer.Somewhere while hunting I lost the right side Limbsaver. When my son noticed it, I decided to shoot the bow at a target to see the effect of having one Limbsaver on the bow.I was almost off my large Yellow bag target to one side! Lesson learned. If you loose one of these and you want to keep hunting,peel the other one off. Limbsaver sends you 2 replacements anyhow. Dont count on the accuracy of your Excalibur if you don't have both of these installed evenly and securely or removed all together. :twisted:
one shot scott

Re: Lost Limbsaver can cost you the shot!

Post by one shot scott »

It seems that almost everyone I have heard of using the limbsavers have a problem with them flying off over time. I would recommend a sts and a string with whiskers served on to help with vibration dampening.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I wouldn't want to use them, but I wonder what having them unevenly spaced (eg. left one 4" from riser & right one 5" from riser) would do the the accuracy?
Sounds like they could be really messing with the limb movement - probably not a good thing. :wink:
wabi
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

They are costing you fps. You can accomplish the same thing w/ heavier arrows and they will be the only thing that flies off the bow, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
RussJohnson

Post by RussJohnson »

I dont use the string silencers. I know they cost you bolt speed. I have only been using the rubber dampeners that stick to the limbs. I saw them being used by Uncle Ted on TV. I do think I notice a difference in vibration and noise.Shooting at 40 yds at the backyard target there is no drop in the bolt after adding the stickon's to the limbs(not that I could detect). There was a big difference with the string spiders. I removed them after 4 shots. I took 2 nice bucks in Oct. with no string jump with the stickon's. One was at 47 yards the other at 31yards. I got the email from the Excalibur marketing department about the new string stop. It looks pretty cool. I hope they send me my Royalties. I designed that thing in my head 20 or 30 times sitting in my deer stand staring at my bow!! The concept works great on our Bowtech compounds.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Thanks for the info!!
I have them on my ibex...when one comes off I will remove the other...permantley!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I wonder if the dampeners from Bow Jax would stay on any better?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

RussJohnson wrote:I dont use the string silencers. I know they cost you bolt speed. I have only been using the rubber dampeners that stick to the limbs. .
Anything on the string or on the limb will cost you some speed. The dampeners also need to be evenly spaced and evenly weighted.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Hey Russ, I had the same problem a while back. Finally ended up pullin' 'em off when my STS system arrived.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ye#p327796

I also didn't see any difference in arrow impact out to 50 yards with them on the inside of the limbs and I could tell they did work in reducing the vibration, but not nearly as much as the STS.

I now wear safety glasses when shooting my Xbow even though I've taken the Simms off! 8) :)
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I saw them being used by Uncle Ted on TV.
Unk Ted gets checks regularly from a lot of sources, lol. I saw a vid of him w/ TWO sets of limb savers on each limb. Be willing to bet my Y-25 he turned whatever model Excal he had into the next one down the list power wise. Not to say they don't have the power to spare, but according to posts by Bill T, the loss of fps is significant.

Going out on a limb here, [pun intended] but I seem to recall it was around 15 fps. Using the 'rule of thumb' formula of every 5 gr arrow weight change equals 1 fps.........well do the math on going to a heavier arrow.

When I 1st got the black vix that became Smokes 'Miss Vixen' it had them on it and one promptly fell off. I 'sawed' the other one off w/ dental floss.

YMMV.
"Eze 18:21"
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Mine also kept flying off the limbs so I stuck them elswhere. Don't know that having them on my Exocet makes a dimes worth of difference but I do think it looks kinda cool.

Bill K.