Hanging it up for the season (I think)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Hanging it up for the season (I think)

Post by ninepointer »

Not to discourage those still hunting; please keep at it and good luck!!!

I actually really like crossbow hunting for deer in the late season. I love the snow and I have found that when you get action,it is usually spectacular this time of year!

In my case its just that I was very, very lucky to get a forkhorn with my crossbow early in the season, plus I have my share of the venison from my northern camp's rifle hunt. I still have an antlerless tag left, but I honestly do not not need any more venison for the coming year. The thought of going after one more doe at this point kind of makes me feel greedy. There's a slight chance that I might still get together with some friends for a hunt, in which case we can share my tag and they can have any deer we might get. But with the hustle & bustle of the holidays, I don't see that as likely.

Instead, I think I will now focus my time afield on training my young beagle. Then after Christmas my second hunting season begins: Wabbit Season!!! :D

Anyone else called it quits?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
DanO

Re: Hanging it up for the season (I think)

Post by DanO »

I hear you Nine! I had the same feelings last year about this time. I watched a large doe walk up below my stand and I decided I wouldn't take her; I had enough venison for the year. Then I though, why am I out here if I wouldn't take a deer? End of the season for me as well.

I've refocused as well to late season waterfowl and ice fishing. It never ends!!! :lol:

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Though I'd wait and see if they get back to legal hunting hour appearances instead of nocturnal visits at the feeder.
I've just been filling the feeder and checking the camera about once a week since gun season ended.
Looks like a couple have shown within 5 minutes of (before & after) legal hunting time since we got some snow.
IM000120.JPG
IM000153.JPG
wabi
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

Nothing at all wrong with your decision; if people feel like that's enough then so be it; that "wabbit" hunting is very addictive as well; nothin like sitting down to a plate full of fried rabbit along with smashed potatoes and brown gravy...yum yum!!

I love hunting small game hunting in the late season; it just seems the right thing to do; good luck and PLEASE post some pictures on here of those rabbits you kill... :D
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I,m not getting out as much as I'd like the last couple weeks but I still have a tag left to fill so I'm gonna give it a couple more cracks.
I'm hoping to get out Sunday afternoon for a sit and a couple more times before the season ends.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

My bow hunting ended in late October when the black powder season arrived in Virginia. I hung up everything on 22 November when I bagged an 8pt with a rifle here in West Virginia. This was my last season hunting in Virginia and it was a good send off. I bagged eight deer there, but never laid eyes on a decent buck. I punched that decent buck ticket on opening day here next to the house on public land. It was a fitting end to a very productive season. Future seasons will be far less productive with far less opportunities but that just adds to the challenge. I will have a lot more time to pursue other game that I have neglected the last few years due to the early and long bow season in Virginia. I just can't seem to hunt anything else during bow season.

I'm normally burned out by Thanksgiving each year so this is a typical season.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I'm going out Sunday for deer.We have 2" of snow on the ground and the weatherman said 20* which will be perfect weather.I'll hunt deer until jan-31st.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline