I hate tracers!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Missin

I hate tracers!

Post by Missin »

I got a tracer nock awhile ago just to give them a try. It was for an ali arrow so i had to buy a cheap arrow ect for it. I shot the damn thing once and its stayed on, wouldnt go into the flash mode. Everything i tried i just could get it to turn off. I had some fun with it but it only lasted a few days before it died.

Yesterday i thought i might try one again for my carbon arrows. I was having a great time with it and had maybe 10 shots with it. I got some BH's from the dealer to test for him aswell so i figured i may aswell shoot one. From 20 metres it completely missed the target and went into a roll of fence wire. Looked all night hoping to see the flashing light but no hope.

Went out this morning and found the middle section and back nock section of the arrows, the broadhead and insert end where nowhere to be seen. I did find out why the nock wasnt lit, it had broken in half.

These things are fun to play with but they are the biggest POS at the same time. And at $20 each its now cost me $40 to have 12 "fun" shots.

This was the tracer nock that has failed me twice now, not sure about the others.
one shot scott

Re: I hate tracers!

Post by one shot scott »

Crikey! I would hate tracers too after that experience! $40 in nocks!
What b/heads did you try?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Dash

Post by Dash »

Hi Missin,
What type of broadhead made it plane off course like that :?: :shock:
I've found that some of the locally made 2 blade heads don't work very well with the higher speeds of the Equinox. Although other people I know have been happy with thier accuracy on lower speed bows.
Missin

Post by Missin »

The BH i tried was a Carbon express 3 blade which basically looks like a rip off of a slick trick. I did notice that a vane fell off just after it left the bow but at 20 metres i wouldnt expect 1 vane to make such a difference.

I will try the other 2 Bh's later and will let ya know if they fly bad or not. I could have pulled the shot too.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Still cheaper than Six Flags and there's no waiting in line. :)

I don's see the benefit of the lighted nocks. Once you pull the trigger, it's a done deal. The arrows I've lost, I seriously doubt a lighted nock would have helped.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Missin

Post by Missin »

sumner4991 wrote:Still cheaper than Six Flags and there's no waiting in line. :)

Huh?? :?

There fun that is all. But they are also good to see what your arrow is doing in flight. Try one and you will see what i mean, just dont try tracers! :lol:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Six Flags is an amusement park
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Missin, sorry to hear you had troubles with the tracer nock . I have had really good luck with the luminock. The 1st one quit for no apparent reason . Contacted them told them and a new one was sent to me at no charge. It worked for almost 3 seasons then I lost the arrow deer hunting from the ground in a picked corn field. That arrow and broadhead had taken 5 animals for me . Luminocks here are about $10 Cdn

Sumner, the lighted nock helps me see the shot in lower light conditions. I crest all my arrows (white blazers, white crest and bright yellow bottom ) and have a lit nock in my broadhead arrows ( they really stand out ).

It has helped in finding the arrow after the shot as well. They have been a real bonus while hunting deer and black bear in low light conditions
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Missin wrote:The BH i tried was a Carbon express 3 blade which basically looks like a rip off of a slick trick. I did notice that a vane fell off just after it left the bow but at 20 metres i wouldnt expect 1 vane to make such a difference.

I will try the other 2 Bh's later and will let ya know if they fly bad or not. I could have pulled the shot too.
Can't be a knock off of Slicks, they have 4 blades. It's one of the things that make em fly good. Lighted nocks are heavier than regular (some weigh over 30 grs) which changes the arrow's FOC. That plus a head that planes will cause a change in POI. IME, a missing vane will also affect POI, in fact a tear in one or loose edge can also.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Farmer wrote: Sumner, the lighted nock helps me see the shot in lower light conditions. I crest all my arrows (white blazers, white crest and bright yellow bottom ) and have a lit nock in my broadhead arrows ( they really stand out ).
I understand the "selling" points. However, I just don't see a "real life" benefit. I've only lost two arrows in the last five years. One I found the next day because a raccoon or some other critter dug it up for me overnight. The other I lost three or four seasons ago and during the gun hunt this year, one of my hunting buddies found it.

I hunt from the ground, so if anyone would really benefit from having a lighted nock, then it would be me, in theory.

I don't like the idea of having that much weight on the back of my arrow. Nor do I like the idea of adding $20 to the total cost of my arrow.

It would be different if it made my arrow fly better or made me a better hunter . . .like a range finder or a Boo String.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sorry to hear about your poor results with these nocks. :(
I want to give the lumenocks a go for next year.
I've heard lots of good things about them.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I record my hunts, so having the luminok and footage I can rewind allows me to see how well my shot was and how long I should wait the animal out. And it has helped me find the arrow numerous times. The luminok is the only one I have used and it does not seem to effect POI. I have experimented with different grain heads and feildtips and with no drastic change. They usually require some light sanding to get them to fit into the arrow but once you get them right they are very dependable.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

one shot scott wrote:I record my hunts, so having the luminok and footage I can rewind allows me to see how well my shot was and how long I should wait the animal out. And it has helped me find the arrow numerous times.
OK . . .but, is there an improvement from regular nocks and lighted nocks? Sure, I can see where, if the nock is exposed, then it makes it easier at times to see and retrieve the arrow. However, I typically wait the same amount of time to start tracking regardless of how well I thought the animal was hit. During this waiting period, I usually have plenty of time to recover my arrow.

Really . . .once you pull that trigger, you could just hold still and close your eyes . . .you know where that arrow is going to hit. If something goes wrong, then there isn't anything the lighted nock will do to help.

Honestly, isn't it more of a toy? Something fun? Something cool?

Depending on the angle of the shot, I'll bet the deer see it coming.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

:D Yes, part of the attraction is the coolness factor, 2 years ago I was hunting in freezing rain. I didnt notice but my rail had iced up and when I shot at a buck the shot was off. I ended up hiting too far back and high. The arrow stayed with the deer, there was no blood trail at all but because of the luminok I was able to track that deer. I found him bedded but kicked him back up and he made his way to another forest. I was able to find him just by driving around on the snowmobile and looking for the light. Now i admit that that time I was lucky, but that night the 20 dollar cost of the luminok was worth ever penny.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

one shot scott wrote::D Yes, part of the attraction is the coolness factor, 2 years ago I was hunting in freezing rain. I didnt notice but my rail had iced up and when I shot at a buck the shot was off. I ended up hiting too far back and high. The arrow stayed with the deer, there was no blood trail at all but because of the luminok I was able to track that deer. I found him bedded but kicked him back up and he made his way to another forest. I was able to find him just by driving around on the snowmobile and looking for the light. Now i admit that that time I was lucky, but that night the 20 dollar cost of the luminok was worth ever penny.

You should sell that story to luminok. :D That's some mighty fine tracking.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen