the secret to success, do I NEED a new bow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

the secret to success, do I NEED a new bow?

Post by wabi »

I realize this post may sound offensive to some, it is not meant to be that way, so please do no think I’m “pointing my finger” at YOU. :wink: :roll: :D

I see many people are influenced by the market hype for the latest, biggest, baddest equipment available thinking it will improve their hunting success. It very well may improve their odds a bit, but I’m a believer in “paying your dues”. By that I mean there is no effective shortcut to experience! You can envision that a high speed arrow will overcome your inability to get close to the quarry, but nothing will make you a better hunter than developing those skills that enable you to actually get close to the game in my opinion.

A bow capable of an ethical 50 yard shot is still lethal at 10 or 15 yards, and nothing can compare with the feeling of satisfaction a close shot opportunity provides. If you can get no closer than 50 yards (I’m just using 50 yards as a number, it may be double or half that in real life situations) to a deer perhaps the key to success might not be buying more equipment, it might be as simple as putting in more time learning. Observe, learn the deer’s habits and reactions, and THINK about what you are observing and have heard others tell of their experiences.

If a deer has shown it’s alarmed or alerted to your presence it’s sometimes wise to just laugh and tell yourself you missed your chance this time rather than try an “iffy” shot. My philosophy is that “there’s always tomorrow” and there’s nothing worse than the feeling of making a poor shot and loosing a wounded deer. (And I’ve experienced it firsthand.)

There are a few members here that are “happy as a clam” with their old, outdated, slow, short range, but deadly accurate crossbows. Those people are for the most part a bit older in years, but a lot wiser in their ways when it comes to deer hunting. They have “paid their dues” by not only hunting for years, but also observing and learning from what worked and what didn’t! Those old “slow” bows have been converted from a liability to an asset, not by physical alterations, but rather by mental “attitude adjustments”. In other words, if I can’t shoot “far”, then I’m going to have to get close! They could still be just as successful with a faster, bigger, better, badder bow, but they have also learned to be gratified by success with something that requires a bit more personal effort.

I’m far from being a deer’s worst nightmare, but I usually manage to put some meat in the freezer each year and I credit my success to experience, not some new product that can “guarantee success”, because no such product exists! I get “busted” at times, I have screwed up a few “sure shots” over the years, but I did learn something each time I screwed up, and today those mistakes are much less frequent. The result - a much higher percentage of dead deer to shots taken!

I post those success stories (as most of our members do), but I'd hate to tell all the stories of hunts where the deer were "just out of range" or a "bit too smart" for this old hunter. It would not only sound discouraging to new hunters, but it would make me sound like a bumbling oaf in a lot of cases. :lol:

I hate to sound like I’m saying don’t buy that new crossbow Excalibur is going to introduce next year, but I will say don’t feel like you might as well not hunt if you can’t afford it. :wink:
Take your best weapon (your mind) and go with whatever you have to launch arrows with. Get close, make a good shot, and you’ll be as happy as any of the rest of us who “get lucky” once in a while. Luck plays a part, but so does skill - and skill comes from experience many (or most) times.
wabi
Shotnbeer

Re: the secret to success, do I NEED a new bow?

Post by Shotnbeer »

Well said.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Well put wabi. I have a good friend and hunting partner who's been using the same Wolverine for over 20 years now. He's also killed more deer with a crossbow than anyone I know. He managed to get a deer and a turkey this year on the same hunt within 15 minutes of each other! I've only owned one crossbow, my Phoenix, and barring losing it or damaging it beyond repair it's probably the only crossbow I'll ever own.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

I want to add my 2 cents if I may; I have the honor of knowing a gentleman who knows more about hunting in general than most of the "experts" we have today; no he has never been on a hunting show or wrote a book or has ever become famous by shooting a "booner" but his woodsmanship is like none I have ever seen; he shoots an old Bear Whitetail compound bow that is probably over 35 years old and his BH's are the old bear razorhead of yester year BUT that man has killed more deer than most have or ever will; he NEVER has bought any camo nor does he use any attractant or use any kind of scent free spray;

I said all of that to say this, it's not what you got that matters but it's how you use it; yes the tv shows and the "super" adds in all of the magazines have done very well in one making to believe that you need a 1500.00 mathews or hoyt to become a "good" bowhunter; all I can say is "hogwash". the excaliburs that was bought 15 plus years ago is just as deadly as they were when new; I can take a single shot H&R shotgun and kill as much game with it as someone who has a Benelli; my point has always been "I rather have a 300.00 gun and 700.00 worth of ammo than have a 1000.00 gun and no ammo"; the excaliburs I own will be just as deadly 20 years from now as they are today;

I want say much more but don't want to bore you so thank you for this post and can only wish that more was spoken on this subject; you don't need thousands of dollars to become a good hunter, you just need good experience and good woodsmanship; very well said and once again, thanks for a great post.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Needing a bow is just part of the fun. The bad part is it eliminates just one more excuse for missing. :wink: :lol: We are all just bigger boys with bigger toys. Its all good. :D
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Well put. I bagged five with archery gear this season. The farthest was 23 yards away. Three were inside of 13 yards. A newer faster bow isn't going to make me any more successful at those ranges.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

x2 all of you
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
TPM

Post by TPM »

my point has always been "I rather have a 300.00 gun and 700.00 worth of ammo than have a 1000.00 gun and no ammo";
Wise words. The late Vic Reinders was a champion trap shooter for many decades. Some of his records still stand. He shot one gun for most of his trap shooting career, an old Remington Model 31 pump gun. He was famous for telling new shooters "rather than buy and expensive gun, buy a decent pump gun and spend the rest of the money on shells and practice". By the time he died he had put over 900,000 rounds through that gun. He was living proof that "it's the Indian not the arrow"...
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I agree with you competely Wabi! But that new fly rod on the other hand.... :wink:
Why ride when you can walk!
Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

Standing ovation Wabi!!!!! Very wise words, very true...could not have been said any better. You hit it all right on the head!
DEO VINDICE
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Tired Rooster wrote:Standing ovation Wabi!!!!! Very wise words, very true...could not have been said any better. You hit it all right on the head!
X2, Mike. Well put. :)
"Eze 18:21"
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

I honestly believe that the reason I bought an Excalibur, was this kind of thread always seems to be here. The wisdom of Excal owners amazzed me!!!
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

Wabi, thats one of the best posts I've read you are spot on. The highest priced equipment don't make a person a better hunter, one only gains that thru experience. :D
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I like the post wabi . . .but, look at the flip side . . .would I be forced to be a better hunter if I had bought a Barnett? :shock: Dang right!

Part of the reason I ended up here was because of the things you listed in the post. And, it did improve my success rate.

I typically do a ton of research before I buy a high dollar item, because I know it will probably be the last time I buy that item or at least it will be a very long time before I buy another.

I don't need the latest and greatest . . .just the best available at the time of purchase. I'll then be the best I can be with that purchase. If I keep trading out and buying " up", then there is a learning curve. Keep taking two steps back and one step forward.

Best to keep what you have to get really good with it . . .unless you have a Barnett.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Well said ...

Wabi wrote ...
I’m a believer in “paying your dues”.
I agree 100 %

Wabi wrote ...
I’m far from being a deer’s worst nightmare, but I usually manage to put some meat in the freezer each year and I credit my success to experience, not some new product that can “guarantee success”, because no such product exists! I get “busted” at times, I have screwed up a few “sure shots” over the years, but I did learn something each time I screwed up, and today those mistakes are much less frequent. The result - a much higher percentage of dead deer to shots taken!
I agree 200 % ..... some people " just get it " !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "