Rail Silicone

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nutmegjailer

Rail Silicone

Post by nutmegjailer »

Just curious what you all use for rail silicone. Can you use any silicone or do you have to use special silicone?

Thanks.... Rick..
Dereck

Re: Rail Silicone

Post by Dereck »

Just use spray can from Canadian tire
Tenpoint Matrix
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Jig A Loo, most auto supply stores. I spray some on a rag and wipe on rail. Great stuff. Goes on wet but dries quickly leaving slick surface. Also apply to arrows to facilitate removal from targets.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Dont use it if you have a full camo rail without testing a very small area first!!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Dash

Post by Dash »

I've been using food grade silicon gel/grease from work. Awesome lubricant to protect the realtree skin on the equinox rail. One small dab on a cue tip appied evenly to the rail is enough. Wipe off any excess. Even if all gell is wiped off the rail with a rag, it still feels better lubricated than any of the liquid sprays I've tried.
CRC Auto Silicon spray or similar can be used sparingly for the bolts like Cossack said helps to remove them from targets, and stops scuffing wear on bolts.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

bstout wrote:I use a clean, dry cotton cloth (my T shirt) to keep my rail clean and dry (no chemicals).
Same here but I may try a lube of some sort next fall only when the temps dip below freezing.
I had an incident this year where I was hunting in a wet drizzly snow.
As evening approached the temps dropped rapidly and the droplets froze to the rail and the arrow was stuck to the rail as well.
This definately would have caused a shot to go astray had I not noticed it and cleaned it up.
Perhaps silicone would keep it from freezing to the rail??
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Mechanical Advantage

Post by Mechanical Advantage »

Dumb question but what is the pupose of siliconing the rail? Speed?
knowhow

Post by knowhow »

PTFE or Teflon lube works great - stays long on rail and arrows and provide smooth arrow removal from target. One spray can should last for looooong time.

Horton has also Teflon rail lube, but for price of such small package you can get big can from some car accessories shop.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Mechanical Advantage wrote:Dumb question but what is the pupose of siliconing the rail? Speed?
Silicone will clean off the built up wax, and adds a dry lube to the rail. I am surprised how slick mine is after applying just a tiny bit to the rail. But make sure you clean as much off again as possible. I dont think you want any on the string :wink:

If in doubt, do without.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
EZKILL

Post by EZKILL »

I just keep it clean and dry and keep my rail clean i put nothing on my rail works fine
Equinox
Custom Arrows by crazyfarmer