Late Season Bowhunting Tips

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

Late Season Bowhunting Tips

Post by BryanOney »

Going to try some late season bowhunting for the first time. I can stay warm, but what are some good tips to help me kill a deer. Brown will be down. Should I hunt food sources. Are mornings or evenings the best. Should I use a climber or ground blinds. I am open to any tips. Thanks Bryan
vixenmaster

Re: Late Season Bowhunting Tips

Post by vixenmaster »

Hunt areas where they feed as winter is tuff they will be after the food. Mornings are good all day is better, get between the deer & bedding areas. I prefer climbers fer moving after them. Ground blinds this time of yr unless really blended in while cause them to be very alert & may make them skirt around you
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Late season and food is the most important issue. Hunt food sorces...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Find the food and you'll find the deer. It's that simple in the late season!

A few more things to keep in mind.

If you live in hilly or mountainous areas, check out the South facing slopes. Deer will gravitate to these areas because they warm quicker. The deer will not have to use near as much energy to get, and stay, warm.

Also, when it's really cold, it's been my experience that deer will tend to move later in the mornings after the sun has had a chance to thaw the frost off of the food source. I also once read where Ben Lee didn't venture out hunting in the late season until the frost was burned off.

For me, our late season is nearly as good as the first few weeks of the season. Everyone talks about hunting the rut, but the first few weeks of Archery season and the last month or so of the season has always been far better for me.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

yeah find what they are eating and there routes to it :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I love the late season better than the rut.There are more deer moving to eat when it's cold out.I saw 6 deer tonight heading for the alfalfa field.When there's snow you can pin point the travel routes real easy! Good luck and shoot straight! :mrgreen:
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline