exomax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sandow

exomax

Post by Sandow »

Good morning everyone!

I´m very interested in getting started with crossbow hunting and target shooting. In the next few months i´ll have enough money to buy a excalibur crossbow. I like the exomax.
My question is: Is the exomax a good choice for my first crossbow or are there any good reasons to start with a "lighter" model like the phoenix?

Thanks for your advice
Dash

Re: exomax

Post by Dash »

Whatever excalibur you get you'll be happy with it !
I'll try not to push you one way or the other. Just some tips in choosing.
But as a general rule the Vortex, Exomax, Equinox models are a lot heavier to draw back. Unless your very short, that should be no problem. For hunting you'll use only a couple of shots anyway, and will give you very straight trajectory.
But for playing around for hours and continuous target shooting it will wear you down a lot, making your aim less steady. This is where excalibur light to mid poundage bows are good. You can shoot them all day. And from everything I've seen, no less accurate.
So take into account what you will be doing most....Target/Hunting,
also...
Height (height makes it easier for extra draw length of high poundage bows),
Age (Back condition, old shoulder injury etc ),
Strength (You could be a bricklayer, or an IT Expert at a desk all day)
Don't think the lighter to midrange models won't do the job either. Many members here have them, and seem to have the same success as the high poundage bows.
Remember ...... Its not a dick swinging competition :!: Bigger isn't always better. It's what fits you !
Sandow

Post by Sandow »

Thank you for your answer. I´m 22 years old and a kettlebell lifter, so i hope cocking an exomax would be no problem.
Are there any disadvantages besides wear and tear?
Sorry if my question is dumb, but i´m completely new to the game.
From my point of view it would be smarter to buy the best crossbow as the first and last one, that way i would spend less money in total.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Being a gal and not a weight lifter I'm not sure I qualify to comment, but that's never stopped me before! :lol:

I'm no lightweight and can cock the Exomax, but I don't want to. If you're going to be target shooting, and perhaps competing at 3D, the Phoenix will make the experience more enjoyable after several hours. Also, the lighter poundage bows are more forgiving in case of a dryfire, and won't chew through strings as quickly.

Welcome to the forum!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

As afew from this forum know (the dry-fire team) i can cock the Exomax 'til the cows come home. But I am a bricklayer and lifting is just part of the job. Your job to needs muscle and you should have No Problem with the draw weight. You will also Love it as I do. :D
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
Dash

Post by Dash »

Sandow, when we use the term "lighter poundage crossbow" it isn't so accurate. 150-175 pounds is not exactly "Light". More than adequate to get the job done. As Vixchix said, the serving on the string will wear or seperate quicker definately.
I found out the indoor comp this year is 130 shots. I doubt you could fire more than 50-standing shots with the equinox/exomax and still have your aim as true as the moment you started. I'm no lightweight either. The weight is effectively reduced by the shorter bows being held slightly closer to the body. Allowing you to hold it steadier for longer.
Remember, look at all the issues that concern you. Not just poundage for the sake of poundage. Its your accuracy that will count .... I love the equinox I have for hunting. But for target/competition, keeping it below 175 pounds will give you more consistant accuracy. Or be like me and get both models !!! :D :lol:
Sandow

Post by Sandow »

I started reading "crossbow hunting" from William Hovey Smith. He writes:

"Shot placement is more important than raw power. A crossbow with a 150-pound pull weight will send a shaft trough the chest of any North American whitetail at a range of 30 yards, assuming a leg bone is not hit. Upping the poundage to 175 speeds up the arrow, flattens the trajectory, and provides something extra to kill bear and the larger members of the deer familiy. Although the 200- and 225-pound crossbows may be used on smaller game animals, these powerful crossbows are best employed with exceptionally heavy arrows and twin-bladed cutting points on the world´s largest beasties, such as buffalo and elephant."

Do you agree with that?
What, if i someday want to shoot small game on larger ranges?
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Long range archery is something I don't do on game as there is alot that can happen to an arrow between bow and game.
Target shooting is different though the worst that can happen is a lost arrow.

As for bow choice I started high and ended up with a 175 pound Phoenix which I could shoot all day and it doesn't eat strings like the bigger bows do.JMO
Tenpoint Matrix
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

WELCOME!! I would say if possible go to your local Excalibur dealer and pick up different models and see how they feel to you,that may also help in your decision making along with what has already been mentioned.
If you have no dealers nearby send marketing dud a message and he will get on that :lol: :wink:
Last edited by MADMAX2 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best things in life are not things!!
strum

Post by strum »

I have the exomax mostly because i found it used at a great price..but i was looking at a either a phonix or an exocet..
I cant say a thing bad about the exomax it shoots hard ,fast an very accurate..serving wear realy hasnt been a problem for me ,but i dont shoot 100 shots a day like some do ..
as far as killin deer..it will lay em down..
for me its realy overkill..and now that ive used it a while
i have decided that any of the lighter ones would have worked fine..Im 5'7" and in very good shape so i can cock it just fine..but there are times i wouldnt mind a little less to pull on..
like the others said ..its a good idea to go shoot a few if possible..that was my prob,,i dont have any dealer near and no one i know who has one..
But i will say it a pleasure to hear that WHUMP..when it hits the target and it nice to know i have power if i need it..
One guy said the only reason he got a 225 model was cuz they dont sell a 250 :D but thats the testostorone talking..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Sandow

Post by Sandow »

I think i´ll buy a phoenix. It seems to fit my needs.
But with the vari-zone or the lumi-zone? The price difference is not that big at my dealer, so i tend to the lumi-zone.
Sandow

Post by Sandow »

Can you give me an idea of how big the advantage of the lumi-zone in low light conditions is?
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Unless you're hunting in the deepest darkest cedars the Varizone will likely be just fine for legal hunting hours (pre-dawn and post-sunset).
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

g'day, mate the exomax is an awesome xbow but l have some lower lb bows which l enjoy shooting more all day long without chewing through strings in my opinion 175 lb is plenty unless your in Aussie shooting buff. best regards blackjack
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
cevans

Post by cevans »

I would take into consideration where do you hunt? Open areas? Brush? Cutover timber areas? I bought the Exomax for a flat shot as possible. Not the weight issues vs loading, vs. lighter poundage so I could shoot all day. Plus pushing a heavier arrow possibly. I wanted kentic energy in my shot. Just a couple of reasons that made me decide in my bow selection.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.