Back again few more questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nutmegjailer

Back again few more questions

Post by nutmegjailer »

Remember me I have the new 175 lb pull Ibex. I still would like to quiet this thing down. I chronied my arrows this past weekend. In Ct we have to have at least a 450 grain bolt. So I cannot shoot what Excalibur reccomends for the 305 feet per second speed. I am shooting an Easton XX75 2216 20" aluminum arrow with a 125 grain field tip. I will be shooting first cut 125 grain mechanical broadheads. They shot well off of a Horton crossbow of my friends last year. With my set up I am getting about 275 feet per second. But the bow is loud I hope the deer do not jump the string. Any comments and advice would be very welcome. I can hunt the month of January here with the Cross bow. I am looking for different ideas and advice to try after the season in preperation for next year. :?:

Rick Davidson
Last edited by nutmegjailer on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
vixenmaster

Re: Back again few more questions

Post by vixenmaster »

See if'en this one jumped the string, :lol: My old vixen about 255 fps
Here's ya one & my arrow was a slugged 2216 weighing 560 gr 31 yds i think about 215 fps
Put yer arrow where it needs to go then walk over & pick-up yer tick toter, my friend
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

nutmegjailer wrote:Remember me I have the new 275 lb pull Ibex.
Yes, I remember you, You have that custom crossbow!
Wow You should have the fastest bow known to man. Maybe call excalipur and ask why so slow. Make sure you explain you have a 275 lb. model. :lol: :lol: j/k
wabi

Post by wabi »

With arrow speeds of 275fps I would keep shots under 30 yards. Closer is always better IMO. :wink:
Don't worry about the noise, just practice and keep shots within reasonable range.
wabi
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

nutmegjailer wrote:Remember me I have the new 275 lb pull Ibex. I still would like to quiet this thing down. I chronied my arrows this past weekend. In Ct we have to have at least a 450 grain bolt. So I cannot shoot what Excalibur reccomends for the 305 feet per second speed. I am shooting an Easton XX75 2216 20" aluminum arrow with a 125 grain field tip. I will be shooting first cut 125 grain mechanical broadheads. They shot well off of a Horton crossbow of my friends last year. With my set up I am getting about 275 feet per second. But the bow is loud I hope the deer do not jump the string. Any comments and advice would be very welcome. I can hunt the month of January here with the Cross bow. I am looking for different ideas and advice to try after the season in preperation for next year. :?:

Rick Davidson
Connecticut's rules are a little "eccentric" as far as most states go with the 200lb pound limit, the 450g arrow minimum, and cocked crossbow is considered a loaded weapon whether or not an arrow is on the rail. This is what happens when the legislature makes laws about things they don't know about.

What does your current arrow weigh?

A lighter arrow will make the xbow louder. Crossbows are loud. It is just the nature of the beast. There is nothing that you can do that will make it as quiet as your vertical bow. If you take reasonable shots at relaxed deer they won't jump the string. I am shooting an Exocet.

FWIW I have never seen a DEP officer with an arrow scale and I have met plenty of them hunting public bow only land. Every year I make a couple of trips down to zones 11 and 12 trying to get access to some private land so I can hunt the January season but I have not connected yet. Good luck.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

nutmegjailer wrote:Remember me I have the new 275 lb pull Ibex. I still would like to quiet this thing down. I chronied my arrows this past weekend. In Ct we have to have at least a 450 grain bolt. So I cannot shoot what Excalibur reccomends for the 305 feet per second speed. I am shooting an Easton XX75 2216 20" aluminum arrow with a 125 grain field tip. I will be shooting first cut 125 grain mechanical broadheads. They shot well off of a Horton crossbow of my friends last year. With my set up I am getting about 275 feet per second. But the bow is loud I hope the deer do not jump the string. Any comments and advice would be very welcome. I can hunt the month of January here with the Cross bow. I am looking for different ideas and advice to try after the season in preperation for next year. :?:

Rick Davidson
The Ibex is 175 lb draw weight not 275 lb a 275 lb bow would be even louder :shock:
I agree with what has all ready been said about keeping shots under 30 yards but would add to only shoot at deer that are relaxed and not on full alert and you will not have to worry about the noise and string jump.
Just shoot as much as you can and you will get used to it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Noise ?...what noise ?!! :? :?:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Rich

Post by Rich »

Keep your shots under 30 yards and that noise should be the last one the deer hears.

Rich