Thumbhole vs Traditional stock

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Badapple

Thumbhole vs Traditional stock

Post by Badapple »

Im planning on purchasing a new x bow and tested them out today.I narrowed the choices down to the exocet 200 and the Vortex. Thought I might ask the forum members a questions concerning your experiences between the thumbhole vs the traditional stock.When testing both these models out I found that the Vortex grip felt better than the traditional but the traditional stock felt better when attempting to use the safety. How do others feel about this issue? and has it ever affected anyone during the hunt. ie deer seeing the hand movement when trying to release the safety on the Vortex.
georgiaboy

Re: Thumbhole vs Traditional stock

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome!!!
I shoot the ibex...thumbhole stock. I think that the thumbhole stock gives me more control ...as far as the safety is conscerned...I killed four critter's this year and don't even remember taking the safety off !!
Non issue for me !!
Good luck !!!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Dash

Post by Dash »

I think its all about personal choice rather than anything else. I don't see any major disadvantages with either. I just like the feel and look of the pistol grip. Some options on a crossbow affect performance, but this isn't one of them. Like two identical cars, same running gear, but different paint jobs and front seats. Its nice to have the choice.
Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

This is truly one of those things that is a matter of personal preference. Opinions will vary back and forth all day long. There is no right answer. It is totally what YOU are most comfortable with. I have an Exocet 200 which has the traditional stock. I considered the Vortex with the thumbhole, but I personally prefer traditional. Because of rifles, I am more used to and comfortable with this type of stock. It is best to not let anyone's opinion sway you in this choice and pick the one you feel will fit you best. You will have to live with it. Either way.....an awesome bow!
DEO VINDICE
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The diff is you, i flip my safety off as my Tick Toters walk by my climbing stand. I haven't had nary a deer pick me off cause i pushed the safety off of my Bow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
birddog10

Post by birddog10 »

Agreed with all. Opinions vary and it's whatever suits your fancy. I went with the Phoenix as opposed to the Ibex after the salesman asked me what kind of stock I had on my rifles and shotguns, traditional or thumbhole? It was a rhetorical question that made sense to me. I did however try an Excalibur with a thumbhole and didn't like the way I had to adjust my thumb to release the safety. But, again, that's what I was comfortable with.
Good Luck. I'm sure which ever one you buy you'll get used to it real fast.
CBRon

Post by CBRon »

The saftey is no problem for me I use my index finger, Bend your wrist down slighty and raise your index finger to push the safty off, try this it's alot easier for me. The one thing I don't like about the thumbhole stocks is because of the angle of the grip my index finger rubs on the trigger gaurd while I pull on the trigger. I don't like that at all.... Ron
VIXEN 2 , PHOENIX
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Have had both styles and like the traditional stock the best for me.
But as said by others first you can only decide which is best for you.
Either way you will have one of the best crossbows on the market with the best warranty on the market. :D
Tenpoint Matrix
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have both i like the way the thumbhole feels but i hate the safety on it i will never get to the point i like it , and i can not reach it with my finger but i would never sell it.
Badapple

Post by Badapple »

Thanks I will go again and test the bows out.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I wish the y25 had a thumbhole stock. I find them very comfortBLE AND THE WRIST FEELS MORE NATURAL. ooppS I HIT CAPS...
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

i to like the thunb hole never had a problem with the saftey . try each reach for the safty you will not find that much difference i like the shorter stock for winter when i got lots of close on DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

owning both styles they both have there faults.like the others i hate the reach for the safety on the thumbhole. the other style stock is too short. they also have cheek height issues. its almost like you gotta buy the stock extender and cheek piece right from the start. i own 2 other brands of crossbows that fit better out of the box. i dont know who designed these stocks but they didnt seem to take a middle road.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

As most have stated it comes down to personal preference.
I have owned both and currently have a Vortex (thumbhole) and prefer it by far over the traditional stock.
My hands are average in size and I don't have any problem using the safety.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I prefer the thumb hole stock , when hunting I always have a grip on the well grip for hours on end and the angel of the thumb hole is more natural to me their for more comfortable.
The safety is no problem their is plenty of time to take it off this is not woodcock hunting.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.