What broadhead do you use ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dash

What broadhead do you use ?

Post by Dash »

I don't want to start a debate on Mechanical versus Fixed blade here !
But it would be interesting to see a survey of what each individual excalibur hunter prefers, and thier main reason why.
List the brand, weight, and what creature you hunt with it (We don't all shoot just deer) . Also your main reason for sticking with this broadhead.
Cheers...
For Feral Goats, Pigs, or larger etc I bought 150 grain boltcutters. I've got to be honest....... The main reason was price, because most broadheads can cost up to double in australia. They had a good deal on ebay, and from other users comments they seemed like a good starting point.
For small game, I use 150grain Varmit busters. Instant kills with the equinox, fly exactly the same as my feild point, and super tough (Reusable).
one shot scott

Re: What broadhead do you use ?

Post by one shot scott »

100g grizz tricks out of the Y25. Deer mostly. A pretty decent b/head but fragil. They almost never come out of a ribcage in one peice or if they do its damaged beyond repair. Accuracy makes up for that though because i dont typically reuse broadheads.

I have also used the boltcutters. They shoot great but I lost most of them due to inserts that would'nt stay in :cry: so I never had one do the ribcage test.

When I first bought my first excal it came with the boss wasp. I didnt care for that head.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use NAP Spitfire 100 gr Deer & Hogs, i also use Magnus Snuffer 125 gr Deer & Hogs. Spitfire is mech. Snuffer is coc, they're both tuff & well made & cut from a**hole to appetite, :lol: Heck you gotta love a great BH!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Missin

Post by Missin »

Slick trick standard 125grain!! I would be more then happy to shoot a big bull with on of these. Fly great and i have been through maybe 5 or more packs last year, every one was consistant. Replacement blades were also consistant.
I get mine for $37 a pack of 3. I also found the slick tricks flew the same as VB's, just hit lower.

If you havent seen this site dash then check it out. It has some great things on it including afew BH tests. http://www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.o ... Main0.html
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

Slick tricks 100s 4 blades for the xbow
muzzy 100s 4 blades for the compound ..much cheaper than slick tricks but fly about the same
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I switched to the 2 blade Rage this year and really like it.
I have some older fixed blade Wasps that I plan to use for small game but haven't use them yet.
Last edited by j.krug on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
masboy

Post by masboy »

muzzy 4 blade fan shot them from reg bow a lot .but have not killed deer with them in crossbow yet.killed all deer this year with boltcutters none went far but not much blood.both fly super accurate and spin great. muzzys half price of most broadheads hear. you get 6 in pack for the price of 3 in most.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

G5 montecs 100 g now I bought some 125g.

They fly great and are fool proof. Easy to resharpen!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Rage 3 for the past 3 seasons. They work very well for me.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
WTB

Post by WTB »

Vortex w/FFF
Firebolts

Whitetail,Turkey

125gr Vortex Pro-Extreme

Because of the terrain where I hunt, it is imperative that the blood trail be Consistant and Heavy. A pass-through shot is needed for this to happen.

The Vortexes had a great season this year. (5) Five shots and (5)Five Dear. The longest recovery was 50 yards.The shortest recovery was 13 yards. All "pass-throughs".

There are several mech. BHs that have similar design with only minor differences. The "minor" differences,between the Vortex and others, based on my feild experience are "MAJOR".

The Pro-Extreme is highly aerodynamic and fly "reeeeaaaaallllll" close to FT

I will be able to set my Vortex up to be sighted in with both the 125gr Vortex and the 150gr Boltcutter (for special application)

Great Broad Head and great Company. I had the pleasure to speak with the owner. He is an avid XBower.
End of the road

Post by End of the road »

For deer I use 125 gr G5 Montecs on my Exocet 200. Like Hikerman says they fly great and are easy to resharpen. For bunnies I use 125 gr judo points
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I'm shooting 100gr spitfires out of my ibex.
I hunt deer,hogs and the occasional coyote that wanders under my stand !
I guess you could say I'm lazy...but I don't like sighting in my bow twice,that's why I stick with mechs. !!!
I have tried other mechs ...but the spitfires are just so damn reliable...and they leave a pretty good bloodtrail too !!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
toytruck

Post by toytruck »

Anybody try the Excalibur Xact mechanical BH on deer?
Life may change us, but we begin and end with family.
White's and TC Renegade
2010 Ibex
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Equinox/ Firebolts with aluminum insert / 175 gr slick trick for deer.
I went with this head because I wanted the high F.O.C it offers it is a 4 blade and is a larger cut than the bolt cutters.
This is a very tuff head that can deal with bone and flies the same as my field tips.
I killed 2 bucks with them this year and put one through a scapula on the exit side on one of the deer this year, the bolt shattered but the B.H. went through the shoulder bone for a pass through.
EQUINOX RULE :!:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Tim.Berrich

Post by Tim.Berrich »

I shoot Muzzys 125 grain 3 blade. I hunt whitetail and pig. They fly great for me and. You get 6 broadheads for the price that most sell 3 broadheads brands for. Im shooting a Vortex.
Tim