What broadhead do you use ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

huntman

Re: What broadhead do you use ?

Post by huntman »

Great post, I have been contemplating changing broad heads for the past few seasons. I have shot the WASP Hammer SST 100 grain from both my Exomag and Vortex for the last seven years. I have stuck with them only because of superstition not because of how good they are. I have not been impressed with the blood trail they leave. Even with a heart or double lung shot the blood has been minimal. Thank God I do most of my bowhunting late season and there is usually snow on the ground otherwise I would maybe not found some deer.

Broadheads I'm looking at for next season are:

Muzzy 4blade
Rage 2blade
Slicktricks
secret

Post by secret »

I use the WASP SST 100grn Hammer... Since its development ive shot 20+ deer with a bow or crossbow. I have never had a deer go more than 50yrds. Most die within sight!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Dash

Post by Dash »

This is good stuff, Keep it coming the rest of you :!:
huntman

Post by huntman »

secret wrote:I use the WASP SST 100grn Hammer... Since its development ive shot 20+ deer with a bow or crossbow. I have never had a deer go more than 50yrds. Most die within sight!

How has the blood trail been with those down deer??
You are right some have died within eye sight for me as well. I have taken about the same amount of deer with those heads as well but when i watch some of these Hunting shows and see the amount of blood that other heads leave the Hammer's don't come anywhere close>!
secret

Post by secret »

ThisImage
Plus

Equals
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

shot this deer with an Excalibur 100 grain mechanical X-act great head great blood trail she only went 25 yrds
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

Field points with crushed glass crazy-glued to edge of fletching. Nobody ever thought to have the fletching do the cutting rather than the head of the arrow. I should patent the idea!
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I've been bowhunting a LONG time and have killed deer with Hilbre,Bear, Sattelite,Zwickey,Snuffer,Simmons,Thunderheads and Wasp Hammer SST. I've tested various other heads including Magnus,Montecs and Slick Tricks. The last 5 deer were shot with Wasps. If you get them mounted true,(thats why I use aluminum shafts) they fly the same as field points. I shot my first 2 bucks this year with my Vixen and watched them both drop. The big (198# dressed) Pa 8 point only went 30 yards and there was an immediate blood trail. I think that the amount of blood is dependent on many factors. I do believe that Slick Tricks would leave a more open exit hole and more blood sign. However, they did not group the same as field points for me and they did not penetrate as well as the Wasps.
I do believe that 2 holes are very important and I've always used fairly heavy arrows and 125 gr. or more broadheads. This year my slugged 2213s weighed 425 gr. and had 20%FOC. I've heard and seen too many horror stories with mechanical heads and have never tried them. I try to go with the KISS theory, one more reason to use an Excalibur!
footed shaft

Post by footed shaft »

Muzzy Phantoms for me, in 125 grn. :D Bill
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I use 125gr 3 blade Muzzys. They work, plain and simple. Do they throw down the best blood trail?? Probably not, but the blood trails are certainly there. Heck I've tracked them through flooded timber so some of the lack of a trail is due to the water vs a poor BH.

I've had deer drop within ten yards of being hit, and go as much as 100. Their life expectancy isn't more than about ten seconds with a well placed arrow. :wink:
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I mainly use the Trophy Ridge Stricknine. I typically only hunt deer, but, will shoot just about anything that comes close enough. They fly perfect. I have not had a deer make it out of my sight, 55 yards is the longest. I like the big 2" cut, three blade design with the simple lever action.

The reason I stick with these large cut broadheads. . .I shot a 6 point buck in the gut and it went about 25 yards and dropped. After that I was sold. I had two does that took a broadside double lung hit that just went to their knees and fell over.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
frisky

Post by frisky »

I use the MEAT SEEKER by Trophy Ridge. http://www.trophyridge.com/broadheads/
I use the 1 1/2 cut, makes a big hole and I don't have chase the arrow as far after a pass though.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

I've been using Steelhead 100 grains with good results. I've got several packs of NAP Nitron 100 grains that I may play with next year.
cevans

Post by cevans »

I have used about every broadhead made over the past 38-39 yrs beginning with a Bear recurve and the old broadheads you had to sharpen. And for a number of years even owned a archery shop. Being new to CB, I have and am going to shoot and play with for now, the slick trick 100 and 125g's and the 150g. Boltcutters. I have the slick tricks on the way and already have the Boltcutters, and really like what I see so far. Will keep you posted. :wink:
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) This year and last have used the X-ACTS and can say without a doubt . These bh`s are devastating on a deer with the longest recovery being 50 yards . Vix`s or Close-up can testify to the blood trail . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus