New CB.....coming soon...***Pics added***

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

muskiewannabe

New CB.....coming soon...***Pics added***

Post by muskiewannabe »

Well, I should be picking up my first Cb later this afternoon. I found a used Phoenix and have agreed to buy it so I am goiing after work to check it out and hopefully bring it home with me. Pretty excited to say the least. I won't get shooting it tonight but I am planning on first thing tomorrow morning to go to the in-laws and fire off a few shots. I'll try and add some pictures tonight when I get home.

So it all went well, looks to be in great shape. Came with the lite stuff package, 15 arrows, soft case, and a bunch of broadheads and field points...1 year old and not overly used, paid $575 for it...

Now here's my question, although it may sound newbie-ish...most of my arrows have a small knock on the end but some don't, can I just buy them and insert them or are the arrows meant to be shot as is? I would think with knocks but I am not certain. Here's what I mean.

I'm heading out this morning to do some shooting, I just hope it warms up a little!
Last edited by muskiewannabe on Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
lscha

Re: New CB.....coming soon

Post by lscha »

Congratulations! Nothing like your first crossbow......and waiting for it. :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

The first Crossbow was Exciting and i could hardly wait to shoot mine when i first got it. Be carefull,take your time,be safe and enjoy.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

onebigskittle wrote:The first Crossbow was Exciting and i could hardly wait to shoot mine when i first got it. Be carefull,take your time,be safe and enjoy.
Couldn't have said it better myself!! Be safe and have a TON of fun with your new Xbow!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Hope its all you want & clean so you can buy it & start shooting
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations you will love it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I remember my first crossbow . Couldn`t wait to show it off and to shoot it . :)
Then my next purchase was more arrows . :shock: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Dash

Re: New CB.....coming soon...***Pics added***

Post by Dash »

Good buy mate,
to answer your question,
Excalibur recommends flat nocks, or no nock with the insert is OK (like your yellow fletched arrow in the photo). Not the Moon nock (Groove in the nock). If you shoot the moon nock, make sure the black vane in your photo is in the rail groove, so the nock groove lines up with the string. Otherwise you could have a partial dryfire.
Enjoy yourself. Just remember the routine..... Cock it, safety on, Load arrow, Aim, safety of, Fire. I don't mean to sound patronising, but if your distracted for a second its easy to have a dryfire. Don't join team dry fire !:wink:
Old Jim

Post by Old Jim »

My first crossbow was ordered about 60 years ago from a Field and Stream Magazine. A steel recurve. No sturrup. You put your feet on the limb. One piece wood stock, with arrow grove cut in the wood. As I recall, about a 10" group at 10 yards. They sure have COME A LONG WAY.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Excaliburs are to be shot with flat nocks only I would not shoot the moon nocks If I were you.
It looks like a sweet bow you have their.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
muskiewannabe

Post by muskiewannabe »

Well I did some shooting with it today, during soem snow we are getting here. I shot but the flat and moon nocks and both fired pretty well the exact same. When shooting the moon nocks I just made sure I had the arrow positioned properly and I didn't find any real difference between those with moon nocks and those without, but I was more concerned with just hitting the target at this stage of the game.

I practiced loading and firing as well as uncocking it when it was loaded, all without any problems. I am hoping to shoot it at least once a week for the next couple of weeks to get used to it and to learn everything involved.

Cheers