Vixen II or Ibex?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TonyBanks

Vixen II or Ibex?

Post by TonyBanks »

Dear all,
this is my second post. I already own a Vortex. The only thing I could hope for more from it would be that the reciever had the Kolorfusion coating all over like the other two higher poundage bows (225#).
I want another xbow, though...Don't we all? I want something a little lighter in poundage, though, something that can still hunt deer/hogs but will be easier to get really good with (ie lots of practice). I like the idea of the Ibex-lower poundgae-same stock design as the Vortex. But i think the 150# Vixen is probably best for long term durability/wear n tear/ease of practice. Is there that much of a step down from 200# (Vortex) to the 175# Ibex-25# doesn't SOUND like much...but in actuality is it? I also like to TH stock aesthetically more than the trad stock, but I it's not a deal breaker for me. BTW although tall I don't have a great deal of upper body strength-something I'm working on though. Your input/experience/knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Tony
Cossack

Re: Vixen II or Ibex?

Post by Cossack »

I shoot the Vortex and Phoenix and had an Equinox and a fast compound. The 225 Excal was just too much for me to cock repeatedly. Due to the ease of cocking, the Phoenix gets shot more, than the other two and it's beyond accurate.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Dash

Post by Dash »

I have an equinox which I still love, but later on also got an Ibex. I like to shoot, test arrows, and play around a lot. The equinox isn't so hard for me to pull back, but repeated use will wear you down and cause you to lose accuracy. The Ibex for me was a perfect stepdown (50lbs stepdown).I can shoot all day now, and love it. I keep the equinox just for hunting now. I also have a recent shoulder injury which bothers me when cocking the equinox repeatedly from the longer draw length. With the Ibex, no probs at all.
An Ibex would only be a small stepdown from the Vortex for you, so not sure how much practical difference it would make. But you would definately notice 50lbs less going down to the Vixen. Its not just the weight, but the shorter draw length that you notice. So much easier.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ah i see yet another ? Lets prep the answer by some up front talk. You like the T-hole style models & the ibex is that & it don't matter if'en yer a body builder you will notice the cocking diff between the vortex & ibex soon as you cock it. The diff between the vixen & ibex will be the same you will knowed it right here & now like slicin soft butter vs cold hard butter. The ibex will give you long servce on string n serving, the vixen will give you more of the same. They don't make a T-hole stocked vixen. I shoot the vixen & she is the tuff & tumble type jus down right gritty in yer face tuff! She is as gentle n sweet as they ever was one on this earth. I have in the past shot her 1000 shots a month fer 3 or 4 months just to get to knowed her well. Ah yes i have an on going love affair with miss vixen :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Andre Agassi once sent his racquets back for restringing because the tension was a pound off. He was in the middle of a major match when his trainer got them to him and he quickly switched out what he had for what he got delivered. I suppose the one pound makes a difference for him.

The difference in power will show up. The higher poundage bows give you more options in set-up. You will want to keep your arrow speed higher than the minimum speed on the scope speed dial if you have a varizone or a lumizone. That's easy with the high speed bows.

I can easily watch my arrow fly through the air and hit the target when shooting my Vixen, even with the lite arrow, not the case when shooting the Exomax with a lite arrow. That arrow just shows up in the bullseye.

Down range speed and trajectory is the reason I hunt with the Exomax. Major reason is limited opportunity for the deer to jump the string. Trajectory is a major issue too. Especially if you don't have the luxury of watching the deer at the feeder while you dial in the range finder.

The Vixen is a great bow, you will definitely enjoy it at the range. It's much easier to handle, if upper body strength is an issue, then go with the Vixen.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

I agree with bstout. My Vixen shoots my arrow at around 280fps. My Exocet around 315. At normal or rather comfortable hunting range for me (15-25 yds) there isn't that much difference in drop---both hit in kill zone and both enter and exit so fast you usually destroy a Slick Trick when it burys in rocky ground after exiting. Besides, the Vixen is lighter, easier on strings, quieter and easier to cock. You might ask then, why do I even have other bows? I guess for the same reason I have a 243, 270, 25-06 and 300 win mag rifle. I love hunting "things."
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

vixenmaster wrote:Ah i see yet another ? Lets prep the answer by some up front talk. You like the T-hole style models & the ibex is that & it don't matter if'en yer a body builder you will notice the cocking diff between the vortex & ibex soon as you cock it. The diff between the vixen & ibex will be the same you will knowed it right here & now like slicin soft butter vs cold hard butter. The ibex will give you long servce on string n serving, the vixen will give you more of the same. They don't make a T-hole stocked vixen. I shoot the vixen & she is the tuff & tumble type jus down right gritty in yer face tuff! She is as gentle n sweet as they ever was one on this earth. I have in the past shot her 1000 shots a month fer 3 or 4 months just to get to knowed her well. Ah yes i have an on going love affair with miss vixen :lol:
You forgot to mention the 25,000 dear that yer mighty Vixen has laid to rest!! :lol: :lol:
It's a killin' machine!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i must be odd duck. i cant tell much a difference pulling any of them back. i adjust my rope cockers that they hook up pulling the string back quite a bit though.got a vortex last year and been shooting the equinox mostly this season. the last few hunts ive been using the vixen. maybe because of the cold none of them are fun to cock. there is only an inch difference between the rails of a vortex and an ibex. cant see you noticing much there. i do love shooting the vixen with no add ons. i carry the quiver and sling the bow on my back. no sts or disappator pads feels nice for hunting.could still be a little lighter though. when i get a chance im gonna weigh my bows. feels heavier than the published specs to me.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I am also looking for either a vixen 2 or ibex for my wife and daughters to hunt in the future and also as a backup x-bow. I like the stock size and lower overall weight of the ibex and vixen2. Do you think the ibex would be to big for a smaller frame female? I would prefer the ibex for a backup for my equinox for shooting does and hunting on those cold days when the short stock is nice with all those bulky clothes. Since I am 5'8 220lbs and do alot of weight training, I prefer a shorter stock on my rifles (youth models). Are firearm season is usually cold here in pa and feels better with those heavy clothes. The equinox feels fine but I would like your opinion on my future purchase. Thank you and GOD bless.

BIG D
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Big D are yer ladys short ? If so the vixen II will fit them better as the LOP is 13.5" area. Vixen II gives up 20 fps to the Ibex no big thing on 30 yds & under shots. Thats with the optional string & a 350 gr arrow. Regular string give around 275 fps with 350 arrow. Using regular string & GT II arrows gives you 264 fps area. My old one gets 245 fps with GT II
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Big D

Post by Big D »

vixen master thanks for your help and forgive me for asking but what do you mean by LOP is 13.5" area. my wife is 5'4 and my children are young; therefore, would the ibex work? I would like to keep arrows in the 400 to 450 range with (FOC) weight for these lighter bows and i am afraid the vixen 2 maybe to slow with this arrow setup. What do you think?

Big D