New string trouble

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tim.Berrich

New string trouble

Post by Tim.Berrich »

Hey everone, just put a new string on my Vortex a #1994 . My problem is as much as i untwist im still a 1/4" past my last line closest to my scope on my xbow. Now this is my first time doing this. Do i need to let the string on over night and stretch and recheck. I was hoping to hunt this afternoon.
Thanks
Tim
one shot scott

Re: New string trouble

Post by one shot scott »

Strings will stretch some, cock it and leave it overnight. even after that it may take some shooting to get it to where you want it

Im not 100% sure what string that part number is, what bow are you using?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

You can accelerate the stretching process by pushing down on either side of the mainframe towards the riser . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Tim.Berrich

Post by Tim.Berrich »

Thanks guys and im shooting the Vortex. Shot it a few times, shot low and 2 the right and string still in same place. just finished waxing whole string and cocked will leave like this for a day.

Thanks
Tim
masboy

Post by masboy »

i also shoot vortex with excel string .all new stings i put on are above that line like yours.more you shoot the more it goes down .mine stays close to the bottom of top line after shot a lot.thats where it stays.so thats where i shot it at.once shot a few times mines poi. stays real close to same poi all the time.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Just use it it will settle in with use this is normal you can hunt with it you should not notice much point of impact change at reasonable hunting ranges.
now would be a good time to get another back up string and get it pre stretched before next season gets here.
I used my serving jig to pre stretch a back up string I would give it a turn or two every day until I got it were I like it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Dash

Post by Dash »

As well as firing a dozen shots or more, the heat from a good waxing of the string helps stretch it in.
Since I made a jig for reserving the string, it gets used to stretch my spare string in before using it. That way your not stuffing around just before a hunt.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Tim.Berrich wrote:Thanks guys and im shooting the Vortex. Shot it a few times, shot low and 2 the right and string still in same place. just finished waxing whole string and cocked will leave like this for a day.

Thanks
Tim
Tim,

If I understand your issue correctly, then you should just zero in your bow as it is. Keep the brace height where it is. You will be fine to hunt with that brace height. After the string breaks in and stretches out, then make the brace height change and the SLIGHT adjustment to the scope. In the meantime, hunt as normal.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
morton

Post by morton »

I have the vortex also,shoot the fast flight flemish string #1989,works great,have to twist the heack out of it at first to get b h up to one and oneeight,after about 30-40 twists you don't have to worry anymore,it settels right in,drive tacks up to 50 yds. thanks,have a nice day----MORTON