what kind of glue?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cevans

what kind of glue?

Post by cevans »

What kind of glue is everybody using on their brass inserts, and the back insert? In carbon arrows? :?:
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
secret

Re: what kind of glue?

Post by secret »

I use Steel Force cyanoacrylate glue. For vanes ,inserts,nocks
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Sumo glue. Its alot like gorilla glue but I find its better. They are the type of glue that expands a little. They will not allow you to get the insert back out! No matter what glue you get make sure you clean the inside of the arrow first.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Missin

Post by Missin »

All these glues and yet i have found the simple glue gun to work fine, fletchtite for vanes.

The one main reason i like using a glue gun is becuase you are putting a consistant amount on each time for every arrow. Second reason is because it makes it easy to remove inserts and nocks by just putting them in hot water.

Oh and ive never actually glued an insert in, just unneccassry weight.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I think missin's idea is a good one if you constantly tweaking your arrow set-up. Its nice to be able to swap out front inserts. But it depends on what your target bag is like i think. If your shooting into a soft bag like the home made ones with rags that are common then you will likely never have a problem with an insert pulling out. But I have lost many broad heads and brass inserts to both my foam deer target and my layered bag target. One summer I lost all 3 of my boltcutter heads! :evil: Either they stay in the target when you pull the arrow out, or they continue through the target and into the ruebarb :roll: Ive lost lots of $ in broadheads before I finally got mad enough to make my arrow inserts permanent! Finding a glue thats adheres to brass is tough too. Since switching to sumo glue I have not lost any inserts or broadheads, and the rear nock has not pulled out with the excalibur thread-in puller.
cevans

Post by cevans »

Thats the reason I was asking, I bought a dozen carbon arrows made and had to re glue all the front and back inserts as they all came out. I was just curious as to what type of glue everybody was using on their crossbow arrows.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

cevans

Post by cevans »

I have been using Ferr-L-Tite hot melt glue but the first couple of times I used it, I didn't clean the inside of the carbon shaft, then I used a brass bore brush almost same size as inside dia. of arrow and cleaned old glue from inside, and so far, everything has held tight, but what ever glue was used on this doz. arrows I purchased off ebay, virtually sucked as I had to re-glue every insert, top and bottom. I also tipped each vane front and back of it with fletch-tite as they didn't do that either, and it keeps the vanes on moreso especially if you happen to shoot thru a foam target. So I was curious as to what everybody else was using on brass inserts as well.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Mister B

Post by Mister B »

like cevans I use Ferr l tite hot melt glue and have had no problems. I do like bstout's idea of using the softer, rubbery hot melt glue though. Next time I need to glue in a brass insert I think I'll try it. I don't worry so much about the arrows that go into my foam target as much as the ones that go into the ground or are stopped by something hard enough to break the more brittle Ferr L tite seal.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

Crazy Glue in Gel - I was never able to pull an insert out. I use the same for all my fleching.
Darz Bór!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

yup plain ol hot melt glue gun glue, easy to remove componets when you need to....i bend an alum arrow, i want my grass and custom made nocks to use in other arrows :lol: :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
masboy

Post by masboy »

just got done shooting super slams with fletch tite platinum and sanders most fletchings fell off when shooting or pulling arrow out not togood.used cx express bond before hard to get off with plyers.no more fletchtite or sanders for me.now have to do16 arrows over.cx express bond works good on carbons not bad on aluminum.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey bob1961,
You use just the regular hot glue from a hot glue gun. What do you use on your vanes? What is your procedure to remove the inserts and flat knocks from your arrows?
Thanks,
Raymond
Missin

Post by Missin »

Raymond wrote:Hey bob1961,
You use just the regular hot glue from a hot glue gun. What do you use on your vanes? What is your procedure to remove the inserts and flat knocks from your arrows?
Thanks,
Raymond
I use the regular glue aswell. Fletch tite on the vanes. To get inserts out i just chuck them in the boiling kettle for no more then 30 seconds. They pull straight out and then you can just wipe of the glue before it dries again.
cevans

Post by cevans »

I know you may not like using it,,but we used the heck out of it in our shop, after stripping the feathers and vanes off, we soaked the shafts in acetone and it ate the glue off, then wiped the shafts down with a clean rag with acetone on it, and when you use fletch-tite glue you would have no problems at all with them sticking, but if you know your going to shoot em thru a bail or target you tip the front of the feather and the back of the feather with a dab of glue and that vane or feather would stay on till it wore off. Prepping the shaft will more than pay for the time invested in fletching. :wink:
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's