Arrow Weight Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

smallSHOT

Arrow Weight Question

Post by smallSHOT »

I shoot a Vortex and i am wondering the ideal weight for the arrow?

I am looking at getting the Firebolts w/ Lumnanoks already in them with an arrow weight of 280 grains. With the Boltcutters adding another 150 grains to the weight i am a little concerned on how it will effect accuracy at longer distances and the energy behind the arrow.

Any insight?
Archer Ontario

Re: Arrow Weight Question

Post by Archer Ontario »

as a rule i use 400 grain arrow
with carbon arrows brass inserts and 150 gr broadheads this will be achieved it will improve your FOC and give you an excellent hunting arrow with excellent KE
Boo

Post by Boo »

Don't be afraid of going down to 350. There is no ideal weight for the bow but there will be for the shooter according to his expectations. Personally I like the range of 370 to 420 but that may change as I change what I want from my bows. Don't be afraid to experiment to find what you like.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I had a Vortex and shot 400 grain total weight and they flew straight at 303 FPS but like Boo said try a few, find what you like best and fire away.
Tenpoint Matrix
Missin

Post by Missin »

The question is more speed or power? I prefer heavier with a chisel tip BH. The big bones arnt such an issue then.
Also the heavier you go the quiter the bow will shoot.

Experimenting with arrows is half the fun of hunting. The arrow combo you are looking at will be a good starting point though.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Using a 405 gr total weight arrow in my Vortex, GT Lazar II, 110 gr insert, Blazers, aluminum GT nock and 100gr Slicks. Sweet.
Good balance of weight and trajectory at 317 FPS using my own 32 strand Flemish string.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I'm shooting Firebolts with brass front inserts and 125 gr tips/broadheads for total of 406 grains and they are DEADLY accurate out of my Vortex!!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

shooting 413 grains, gt laser 2, 100 grains field points.brass inserts, 2" group at 50 yards with slight wind, about 300 fps. new to this bow hunting so invested alot of time checking what the experts had to say. like boo said, if you have confidence in your equipement you will shoot accordingly.
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I have a bucket full of target arrows. They range from 350 gr to over 500 gr. It's a ton of fun to shoot them back to back.

When it comes to hunting, I like an arrow weight that will give me a complete pass and keep the flattest trajectory possible. This also slows the arrow down to where it usually stops within 20 yards after the pass. For the size deer I hunt, that's a 408 gr arrow. Took me a couple of seasons to figure that out.

That weight will change with the broadhead you use too. The larger the head(the more cutting surface), the more weight will be needed to penetrate all the way through. No worries about penetration, you have more than enough power. I shoot as big of a broadhead as I can get and still get a complete pass at 408 grains.

Have fun with the weight. The lite arrows, out of my Exomax, magically appear in the target as soon as I pull the trigger. The heavy ones seem to float in the air relative to the lite ones . . .you can watch them fly easily.

Heavier arrows will be a little smoother upon launch and have less vibrations. Both shoot very accurately.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen