grizz vs mags.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chack182

grizz vs mags.

Post by chack182 »

Has anyone tried the 100 gr. grizz trick out of there exocet or vortex? I like the bigger cut of the grizz tricks but not sure on how they will perform. Need to pick between mags. or grizz before the weekend, deer season will close on the 16th.
Cossack

Re: grizz vs mags.

Post by Cossack »

I can vouch for the standards and mags. but no experience with the grizz. From experience with other-albeit 3 bladed heads- the bigger the head the trickier to make it fly true to field point.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Since the Grizzs are a relatively new broadhead, there is little data. There have been two reported kills by forum members with an average recovery of 78.5 yards.

You can look at this link and see how they compare to other broadheads.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=37098

Of course, with just two reported kills by the forum members . . .there isn't much to go on. Maybe the guys that use them will let you know how the fly.

Cossack is right about the bigger FIXED blades being less user friendly. Everything needs to be as perfect as possible in the arrow components for the larger fixed blades.

Good luck getting your deer before the deadline . . .put the dead in deadline. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I have played with them a good bit. I have found them to be tricky to get to shoot good. I did get them to shoot real close to my field tips out to 50yds out of a Ibex. But only after i cut my arrows down to 18". Don't ask me why they shot with this short of a arrow but they do. On the other hand out of my Scorpyd RDT125 they shot great out to 80yds. With a 22" Gold Tip laser II with blazers.
Slick Trick are replacing the Grizz Trick. With a new GT2 it will be longer and better blades. They clam it will shoot better out of faster bows we will see.
If i was pressed for time I would go with the Mag's if i were me.
I shoot a deer this year with a Grizz trick. Broadside at 15, 20yds it ran 40 50yds and dropped. Big hole in and out. The guys that helped me drag it out ask if i shot it with a slug gun.
Hope this helps and good luck
cevans

Post by cevans »

I have been testing the 100g Grizz Tricks, and they shoot great in this inclimate weather with a 5mph crosswind, using a 335g Ten Point Pro Elite Carbon Arrow, out of my Exomax with stock string. They match my 100g field points and bullseye for me all the way out to 50yrds with no problems. Using brass inserts, 4 in vanes, approx 4 degree offset. Approx 316fps,
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

look at the exit hole from a 125gr mag trick :shock: ....

need i say anything more, all 4 deer to date with them have been like that :wink: ......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.