cheek piece

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bcmuledeer

cheek piece

Post by bcmuledeer »

Just bought a vortex, was wondering what are the advantages to having a cheek piece installed. is it to keep the xbow more level or just more comfortable feeling. I am new to bow hunting so any help would be apprectiated.
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
j.krug

Re: cheek piece

Post by j.krug »

I put a cheekpiece on my Vortex and also the stock extender.
The cheek piece is quite comfortable and I find that it brings my eye to the scope quicker with less fidgeting to find the correct alignment.
I am glad that I chose to put it on my crossbow.
I would suggest going to a dealer and shouldering the Equinox which has the cheekpiece on it to see if you like the fit and feel of itbefore you buy one.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

welcome to the vortex club!. the cheek piece is part feel and function. some people even with guns have no problem adjusting to where a scope is in relation to your eye but it usually envolves sliding your cheek up with the side of the stock ending up closer to your chin. your scope and ring height has alot to do with it. its a fit and form thing. if you shoulder the vortex and you get your eye on the scope without lifting your head then your good.ive never herd anyone complain about putting one on and then ditching it later. i could live without it but it sure is nice having it on.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I have an 09 Equinox and I previously owned a 08 Phoenix, I installed a cheek piece on the Phoenix also. Would not go without it, way more comfortable with it on.
Raymond
strum

Post by strum »

I had the same question so I tried a tip i had recived from the guys here..
Get a piece of pipe insulation maybe 6-8 inches long ( the kind with the slit in it)
place it on top of your stock and shoot..
i did this and was amazed at how much better it feels and of course as the comfort level is improved your shooting will also..
I think ill still get a cheek piece but the foam will stay on untill that day..
I was hesititant about spending the 30 bucks thinking is it realy going to help ..but now i know it will ..
I think it was awshucks that has pic of his homade cheekpiece..
dan miller told me he glued a walnut shell on one of his years ago and still uses it today.
he said once you find your sweet spot al you need is about 5/8" to rest on..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

thanks strum. I will try it out.
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!