Any experience with .223 WSSM?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Riflemanz

Re: Any experience with .223 WSSM?

Post by Riflemanz »

Ammo will be more expensive than .223 rem and harder to find.I would stay with .223 rem in a M4 rifle.RRA Entry tactical .223
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
roly

Post by roly »

Adam wrote: I would have to respectively disagree that the .223/556 has unbeleivable stopping power on dog/human sized targets. Especially shooting Full metal Jackets.

I can not argue with you on this as I have no knowledge on .223
But for a police force to do away with their riot guns and go to a .223 assault rifle
it must have something going for it

I went on YouTube and watched a lot of video on .223 it was very interesting
they seem to do a lot of damage.

I wish I knew how to send a link
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

roly wrote:
Adam wrote: I would have to respectively disagree that the .223/556 has unbeleivable stopping power on dog/human sized targets. Especially shooting Full metal Jackets.

I wish I knew how to send a link
Just highlite and hit copy, the HTTP address from the page it is on and bring it back here and hit paste. Copy and paste are on right click of mouse
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Still on the fence about this caliber, it sure looks like a fun one, but I am having a hard time justifying the caliber and finding a spot for it that my .204 wont fill.
I appreciate all the input!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Adam

Post by Adam »

I spent 7 months in Afghanistan using and carrying 5.56 so I am not disagreeing with you for the sake of an arguement. There is many better choices than this caliber. I think one of the benefits is how many of the rounds you can carry due to size.

Back to the subject at hand.
Pydpiper I read that you have a .204 as well. Unless you are dead set on the .223 WSSM I highly reccomend a .243 (unless you have one)
I purchased a 700 in .243 a couple years back and it is my dedicated coyote and deer gun. The range and variations of bullets you can handload is amazing.
Big John

Post by Big John »

As Adam stated, his go to gun for Coyote and Deer is his 243. Excellent choice.
I have many Friends, and know of many others who use the same, for the same.
I believe that to be Excellent. Stop Deer in its tracks and as well Coyote's dont know what hit them.
Very little recoil and great speed, and with a 100 gr. bullet on Deer, Beautiful!! 8)
In Fact, my next Rifle was going to be a 243. But now, with my health crap, I will hold off.
But I still want one. :(
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

.243 is a tad on the light side for our large northern deer. Can be made to work with precise shot placement, much prefer it's slightly larger cousin 7/08 Rem. or my go to rifle 280 Rem. Former is on 308 case, latter on 30/06 case. These .284 diameter (7mm) rounds offer much better selection of bullets and more kinetic energy than 243. But, to each his own.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

7mm.08 is a fine deer cartridge. I no longer have one....but I have killed many deer with that cartridge. You are right cossaack, it's a .308 necked down to a .284 cal. Much better deer cartridge than the .243 win. and is still light recoil for those that are recoil sensitive.
DEO VINDICE
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

My Model 70 Win. in 223WSSM shot not so small groups with factory ammo and handloads.The trigger sucked so that had to get fixed.The loading accs.are diff for the short fats(shell holders loading blocks etc)Bolt lift was stiff even with factory ammo,as evidentely factory stuff is loaded on the stout side to get the velocity up.Noise is up ,recoil is up.Can you tell I didnt care for mine.It didnt stay one of "mine" for long .It was just a large pain for nothing.
Tennessee Tom

Post by Tennessee Tom »

The .223 wssm is what I consider a barrel burner , supper accurate for about 500 rounds very high velocity but erode the leade and first part of rifling just past chamber , I like and have owned two high velocity cals a .220 swift & 22-250 ackley improved the swift with my reloads would propel a 55 grn sierra or nosler at 3850 to 3900 fps as the ackley 22-250 also and due to brass avaliable that would be my choice for a hyper velocity 22 because if you research most paper shooters use laupa brass , and lapua does not offer the .223 wssm as any that I know about ,, both of my rifles would produce groups in th .3's ,, I have taken coyotes easily at 400 yds with both calibers......
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

No .257 Roberts? Old, romantic, highly versatile hand loaded. Am I showin my age again? lol.

Edited to change .256 to .257. You were sayin Kevin? lol.
Last edited by awshucks on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Eze 18:21"
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Shucks you`re not old just experienced . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus