Bolt/Broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Onetimeonly x-->

Bolt/Broadhead

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Interested in what Bolt/Broadhead combination works best for members?
I went from the FireBolt/125Mag Slick Trick to the FireBolt/Boltcutter.
The wind played havoc on the FireBolt/125Mag Slick Trick combination! No problems with the FireBolt/Boltcutters!
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
georgiaboy

Re: Bolt/Broadhead

Post by georgiaboy »

Firebolt/100gr spitfire for the Ibex...Firebolt/125gr spitfire for the Vortex!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have taken 8-9 deer with a GT II and a Rage 3. All dropped under 50 yards except one which went 80-90 in the snow.
Specs:
-GTII, Rear insert cut in half and hollowed, and 35 grains added to the back of the front insert.
-2" Blazer vanes
-100 grain Rage 3
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
cevans

Post by cevans »

Are you using the 110 g. brass inserts in the firebolt for more FOC weight? I find that the brass insert in the firebolt shoots a heck of tight group out to 50 yrds shooting 100g grizz tricks. Love them in the wind..they only drift when I had a crosswind of about 10mph 2 inches at 50 yrds. and were still even with bullseye with tight groups.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
WTB

Post by WTB »

Here is my choice.

Vortex Excalibur
FFF String

Firebolt/2"blazer 256gr
25gr Aftershock booster
125 gr Vortex Pro-Extreme

Total weight 406gr

I don't know what speed I am getting for sure. I don't have a 50yd shot and no chrono. At exactly 40yds 1" consistant groups with speed ring set on 328.

Would someone please tell me what my FOC is with this combo
Attachments
FireboltVortexopenEX_edited-2.jpg
FireboltVortexopenEX_edited-2.jpg (65.21 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
FireboltVortexClosedEX_edited-2.jpg
FireboltVortexClosedEX_edited-2.jpg (74.22 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
Onetimeonly x-->

cevans wrote:Are you using the 110 g. brass inserts in the firebolt for more FOC weight? I find that the brass insert in the firebolt shoots a heck of tight group out to 50 yrds shooting 100g grizz tricks. Love them in the wind..they only drift when I had a crosswind of about 10mph 2 inches at 50 yrds. and were still even with bullseye with tight groups.
cevans, No I wasn't using the Brass inserts. I just purchased the Vortex in Nov. 2010. Every year I ask for that One shot 'Onetimeonly' on a nice mature Deer!
Well I had the opportunity with my Vertical bow and couldn't get it done. Now if I had the Vortex I believe the outcome would have been different. A photo with a nice big smile on my face :D . The Slick Tricks were from my Vertical Bow set up, when it was calm they flew great, with the wind not so good.
Cabelas is less than an hour drive for me which is good and also can be bad $$$. I knew I needed more weight. So I looked at the Boltcutters. I actually took one out of the package and was impressed with how sharp the blades were. So I tried them and they worked for me. There probably are much better combinations Bolt/Broadhead out there, that's why I posted the question. Who better to ask then the knowledgeable people on this Forum? This is all new for me as for as the Xbow goes!
So the Survey says? That's where you reply and you did Thanks!!
Wabi Custom Calls
Godspeed!!
Scott
Onetimeonly x-->

enormous wrote:I have taken 8-9 deer with a GT II and a Rage 3. All dropped under 50 yards except one which went 80-90 in the snow.
Specs:
-GTII, Rear insert cut in half and hollowed, and 35 grains added to the back of the front insert.
-2" Blazer vanes
-100 grain Rage 3
Thanks for the reply, fill me in on the GT II, who makes them and where can you get them?
Wabi Custom Calls
Godspeed!!
Scott
Steve_Guelph

Post by Steve_Guelph »

Firebolt and 150/Boltcutter for me.
Micro Nightmare (Chucky)
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I shoot a Equinox / Firebolt with aluminum insert/ 175 grain slick trick it is working good for me may not be the fastest arrow but it fly's good and penetrates great, took 2 bucks this year with it and had short recovery on both.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
WTB

Post by WTB »

WTB wrote:Here is my choice.

I forgot to tell why I really like the Vortex Pro-Extreme. 2010 Dear Season, West Central Texas brush country,five shots,five processing bills. The longest recovery was around 50yd and the shortest, around 15yd. All pass throughs from an elevated (12"-16") blind.
All of them were "DEAD DEER RUNNING" after being slammed by the Vortexes

Vortex Excalibur
FFF String

Firebolt/2"blazer 256gr
25gr Aftershock booster
125 gr Vortex Pro-Extreme

Total weight 406gr

I don't know what speed I am getting for sure. I don't have a 50yd shot and no chrono. At exactly 40yds 1" consistant groups with speed ring set on 328.

Would someone please tell me what my FOC is with this combo
Normous

Post by Normous »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:
enormous wrote:I have taken 8-9 deer with a GT II and a Rage 3. All dropped under 50 yards except one which went 80-90 in the snow.
Specs:
-2" Blazer vanes
-100 grain Rage 3
Thanks for the reply, fill me in on the GT II, who makes them and where can you get them?
http://www.goldtip.com/category.aspx?catid=13
I purchase mine from the Bowhunterssuperstore by the dozen and build myself.
http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/cro ... 4_519.html
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

I gave away all of my GT IIs after using the Carbon Express Maxima Hunters. They have built in FOC and are tough. G5 Strikers are usually what is on the end.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Specs:
-2" Blazer vanes
-100 grain Rage 3
Made for crossbows:

RAGE™ Broadheads are ideal for shooting with your crossbow

One big advantage of the rear-deploying RAGE Broadhead is that it will not prematurely deploy even when shot at the extreme speeds generated by a crossbow. The in-flight accuracy of a RAGE is even more important at those high speeds. And you'll get the huge entry holes and wound channels, better blood trails and expand your kill zone that RAGE is known for!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote: No problems with the FireBolt/Boltcutters!

There are several combinations that work for the members. Actually, there are thousands . . .maybe more.

The trick is to find the combination that works best for you. Based on your quote above, you found it.

I kept looking until I found a combination that I could easily put together and get consistant results. Quick and easy. Oh yeah . . .had to be cheap, because, well, I'm cheap(I'm sure a few members will verify this statement :lol: )

I really don't like to track deer either . . .the terrain is too rough on one tract of land I hunt in Virginia. If the deer goes more than 50 yards, then it's a all day drag, if I find it. So, I need the deer to drop in a hurry.

Stricknines(or any other 3 blade with at least a 2" cutting dia.), Easton Powerbolts and 2" blazers. Best combo for consistantly deadly results with min. out of pocket $$$ and very user friendly.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I shoot the GT LaserII's with the brass insert up front, fletched with 2" Blazers using a 4 degree right offset. They are usually tipped with 125g NAP Spitfire or a 125g Slick Trick and weigh in at 424g. They shoot better than I do.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire