Stopping Crossbow arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Aero320

Stopping Crossbow arrows

Post by Aero320 »

Will the same block I use for compound also stop crossbow arrows or will I need something else?
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Easton 2117 w/Brass Inserts
Rocket Hammerheads (100g.)
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
wheelie

Re: Stopping Crossbow arrows

Post by wheelie »

try it. just don't put it infront of the nabours car.
strum

Post by strum »

wheelie wrote:try it. just don't put it infront of the nabours car.
or go ahead and put it in front of the neighbors car :lol: :lol: let us know which one stoped the arrow..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
EZKILL

Post by EZKILL »

Aero320 wrote:Will the same block I use for compound also stop crossbow arrows or will I need something else?

WHAT CROSSBOW ARE YOU SHOOTING ? WHAT BLOCK DO YOU HAVE ?
Equinox
Custom Arrows by crazyfarmer
Boo

Post by Boo »

Arrows in foam targets get stopped by the foam gripping the shaft. Crossbow arrows are shorter so they need a more dense foam target to be stopped short enough to leave you enough arrow to grip. My Black Hole is not deep enough nor is it dense enough to be useful. Check out Reinhart target for broadheads and a bag target like Thirdhand Archey's for target tips.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Joystyx

Post by Joystyx »

Your fletching will be ruined if you use a classic archery target, even designed for compound bows.
Get something like that http://www.walmart.com/ip/McKenzie-Shot ... ow/9722096
You can find similar for cheaper.
A sandbag will do the trick for even cheaper, be sure the sand is real thin !
2010 Exomax - Leupold VX-I - HHA Speed Dial
2008 Relayer Y25 #954 -VariZone - S5
A bunch of Firebolts
Shockwaves & Crimson Talons
Inter arma silent leges
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
secret

Post by secret »

The "block crossbow"
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
strum

Post by strum »

secret wrote:The "block crossbow"
thats what i have ,,its holding up pretty good ...i can see that ill have to have somthin eles next year ..the reinhart has been brought up a lot here. think ill try that next,,
anyone try these?
http://www.pacificbowbutts.com/crossbow-target.htm
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

I use the Reinhart 18-1 and like it alot. Holds up really good and stops the arrows great. A little hard pulling them out until it gets "broken" in a little.........good crossbow target. Haven't used broadheads on it yet though.
DEO VINDICE
dwilley

Post by dwilley »

Had the same question, best answer seemed to be, "get a bag filled with rags, stuffed in there tight", I opted for a box with the front and back made of carpet, with cardboard facings that are easily replaceable. Works great for field points with both my cross bow and my compound. For broadheads I made a similar target, but filled it with "kitty litter" rather than rags. Stops both short and long arrows fine, but it takes wiggling the arrow around until I can get at the broad head to remove it, to make getting it out damage free feasible. I'd love to know what works better for expandables. Hope some of this helps, check out the topic of "homemade targets" on Archerytalk at http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthrea ... 472&page=1
cheers
David
Dash

Post by Dash »

[quote="dwilley"]
The feed bag of packed rags works very well. Give it a good kicking, the rags move and the bag holes will close up again. Arrows pull out dead easy too.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Dash wrote:
dwilley wrote: The feed bag of packed rags works very well. Give it a good kicking, the rags move and the bag holes will close up again. Arrows pull out dead easy too.
I did the same thing with a pillow case and rags. Just pack it fairly tightly and it stops the 424g arrows out of my Exocet with no problems. This is for field points. I have a White Tail crossbow King target for broadheads. It is a relatively inexpensive broadhead target that does the job for what I use it for. I probably have several hundred shots into it now and it still does a good job. I have had this target for about 4 years now. It is not something I shoot into daily. I just use it for broadhead testing. As with any target don't shoot the same spot over and over. Also, an arrow puller like Dan Millers comes in handy especially when the target is new.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I have a Block 4x4 and it stops arrows fine out of my Exomax with 100 grain tips. If you use brass inserts or really heavy tips you may want to invest in an arrow puller. With brass inserts it will bury them to just before the fletching so you don't have much grab on to without chancing a vane mishap.

DuckHunt
smitty likes hunting

Post by smitty likes hunting »

I just got my new vortex love it ! I work in a machine shop and some of our parts come in wraped in shrink wrap . we pack it tight into a cardboard box about the size of a t.p. box so you can put more than 1 target on it . you can put garbage bags on it to keep it dry or bring it in when your done shooting. works great. when the box wears out you can just repack the plastic into another box. shooting firebolts with 150 tips and they only go in about 6 inches at 20 yds. only drawback is you can't use broadheads in it. you can't get them back out of the plastic.
Aero320

Post by Aero320 »

UPDATE: I stopped at Bass Pro the other day and bought the Morrel's Yellow Jacket Bag for crossbows (field points). Works great. Stops the arrows and they are easy to remove.
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Easton 2117 w/Brass Inserts
Rocket Hammerheads (100g.)
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta