Looking for local Upland dog / Brittany help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Looking for local Upland dog / Brittany help

Post by VixChix »

I know I've asked for this here in the past. Now that we're down to one dog I can put time into training him.

In the past I was referred to Ruffwood - they've recently relocated 1 1/2 hrs from us. I'm hoping to find someone closer to work with. It doesn't have to be a professional trainer - anyone who could guide and direct me so I don't mess Rusty up. Am willing to pay for the help, of course.

Anyone near the KW region that would help me work with Rusty? This is our first bird dog. I've only hunted with dogs once (pheasants with labs) so this is new to me.

Rusty is 5 - we've had him for 3 yrs. He was hunted over before we got him, but we don't know the details, assume he was used for grouse.

Wat we'd most like to use him for is grouse hunting on our lot up in Huntsville. Maybe pheasant if we ever had the opportunity.

I'm willing to purchase a training collar and whatever else I'd need to get started.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Horizontal Hunter

Re: Looking for local Upland dog / Brittany help

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I always wanted a Brittany until my "new" neighbors moved in three years ago. He has a four year old Brittany named Herbie that he hunts pheasant and grouse with. Herbie is still so full of energy he is hard to control . My neighbor takes Herbie out and runs him every night to burn off some of the energy and keep him fit. Herbie has a wonderful temperment but way too much energy for me.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Horizontal - our dog Rusty has plenty of energy - but it's all good and happy energy. He's not too crazy. He gets the zoomies and tears around the yard, but he's sweet in the house. I wasn't too crazy about getting him when Tim wanted him, but he's really grown on me. Now I adore him. :D

Here's our wild and crazy dog:

Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
reaper

Post by reaper »

Try the book, training& hunting the Brittany Spaniel by Ralph B Hammond. Its quite good, but trying to go both grouse& pheasant is hard on a pointer. Also try Jack at Wind a gail kennels. Good luck with your pup. Britts are the best.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Vix,

He is adorable. My wife and I have been cat people for the last 18 years.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
bdog

Post by bdog »

There's a foundation training seminar going to be held at Gold Creek farm near London put on by Rick Smith check out the Rick Smiths site.
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com