Mechanical Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

novacam

Mechanical Broadheads

Post by novacam »

Hi, only my second post and I'm guessing this had been asked before so I appologize in advance.....but, do people like the mechanical broadheads and do they open 100 percent of the time? I'm leaning that way for the upcoming season (only 6 months away) but I don't trust them, not based on any personal experience, just from what I've read, thoughts?
SPITFIRE

Re: Mechanical Broadheads

Post by SPITFIRE »

Welcome to the forum. :D You came to the right place for answers.Personly I like the Spitfire 125 grain mech. They shoot just the same as my 125 grain field points. I can shoot a field point and put a spitfire in the same hole on the next shot. Not bragging, just showing they shoot to the same poi. At least they do with my Vortex. I have never had one open in flight. Like anything else you have to decide for yourself. :)
I am a hunter and proud of it.
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

I've been using my old Rocket Steelhead 100 grains. I've only killed one deer with them, but it worked just as well as they always did out of my bow. I don't see how the Steelhead could "not" open on contact.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome, you'll find the answer's here, all good advice.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D
Please don't pay any attention to the negative hype about mechanical heads!!! Its like anything else in life...you get what you pay for!!! Purchase a good quality, proven mech. head and you will be fine!!!
I have taken over a dozen deer and several hogs with spitfires...proven winner!!! Many here shoot rage, a little to fussy for me in the quiver but a devastating broadhead on game!! The rocket steelhead is another head with a good reputation. Just do your research and stay away from "flashy" and "shiny" ...if it sounds to good to be true...well you know!!!
Good Luck !!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

To me Spitfire 100 & 125 3 blade is one of the best mech. BH's around. I have one that i shot a Doe with this past season & i just sharpened it abit on ez diamond stone. Then used same BH & shot a 160 lb + hog last month with it. I resharpened it & now waiting on Tick Toter season to start :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
novacam

Post by novacam »

Thanks for the welcomes and replies. As I said it was not personal experience but a few words that I have read that gave me this thought. I will use mechanicals when the time comes, now it's just deciding what's best :)
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

novacam wrote:Thanks for the welcomes and replies. As I said it was not personal experience but a few words that I have read that gave me this thought. I will use mechanicals when the time comes, now it's just deciding what's best :)
Welcome to the forum.
There a quite a few good mechanicals out there that are reliable and deadly so don't be afraid of the mechanicals!
Deciding on which one to use will be your biggest challenge. :)

I use the Rage 2 and they are accurate and deadly but as mentioned they can be a bit finicky in the quiver.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I prefer fixed, but always keep a mechanical in my quiver, I find the mechanical can buck wind a bit better when the weather turns extreme. That broadhead is a Rocket Hammerhead, flies like a dart and makes a great big hole. Unfortunately they are what I consider to be "one time use" broadheads, they rarely come out intact.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

I shoot 100gr NAP Spitfires and they group the same as my 100gr fieldpoints. Best of all deer drop within site. Im considering turkey hunting with them. And another thing is you can pick them up at all your major big box stores.
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
Boo

Post by Boo »

One thing that is guaranteed is that there will be more screw ups with mechanical because for every blade there is an additional variable. In trade you often get a wider cut, better accuracy and more consistent flight with mechanicals. The only mechanical that I've used on deer are the Wasp Jackhammers and I have only heard about one failure. I am presently trying to whack something with my G5 T3s but haven't had any offers from deer yet.
I think you have to weight the pros and cons and see if the pros out weight the cons of each broadhead's design.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

planter wrote:I wonder what the most expensive head on the market is right now. :) The Rages seem to be the one but there has to be something even more costly out there.
$50 plus tax for a 3 pack of Rage 2's at the last few archery shops I've been to!! Ouch!!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Welcome to the forum.
Raymond
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I have a fixed blade in my quiver, but, I doubt I will ever shoot it. I like the accuracy of the mechanicals, the knock down power and the ease of use.

The knock down power is the biggest reason. We kill via blood loss . . .how else are we going to make the blood flow? Larger cutting area is a key ingredient to a successful hunt. Cut 'em big and bring 'em home.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen