Fpoint stuck in target?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BizROWorld

Fpoint stuck in target?

Post by BizROWorld »

So this weekend I bought an Exacilbur Vortex with LumiZone from a local dealer for $779 already put together & sighted in for me. He threw in a Horton Double Stop target for only $20 extra, so I said why not. It says on the label made for compound and crossbows, fieldpoints and broadheads. "EASY 1 HANDED REMOVAL OF ARROWS."

Anyway, I got home and took 1 shot at about 20 yards with my new Xbow and a carbon firebolt with field point tip. I walked up to the target and I can't get it out. Literally its impossible. I have gone online and saw some bad reviews about this target. Guess I wasted 20 bucks? will the T-Puller get it out? if not, how do I get the arrow back? lol........this sucks....what target should I get for FPoints and BHeads?
sumner4991

Re: Fpoint stuck in target?

Post by sumner4991 »

BizROWorld wrote:So this weekend I bought an Exacilbur Vortex with LumiZone from a local dealer for $779 already put together & sighted in for me. He threw in a Horton Double Stop target for only $20 extra, so I said why not. It says on the label made for compound and crossbows, fieldpoints and broadheads. "EASY 1 HANDED REMOVAL OF ARROWS."

Anyway, I got home and took 1 shot at about 20 yards with my new Xbow and a carbon firebolt with field point tip. I walked up to the target and I can't get it out. Literally its impossible. I have gone online and saw some bad reviews about this target. Guess I wasted 20 bucks? will the T-Puller get it out? if not, how do I get the arrow back? lol........this sucks....what target should I get for FPoints and BHeads?
Take it back to the store. Tell him you want your $20 and a new arrow.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

For easier arrow removal I use silicone spray on the arrows, before each shot. I think even a dish soap would help with getting them out. The arrow removal tools are a great idea as well.

I have left an arrow in a target over night, seems like the foam loses some of its memory and its easier to remove after being in there for a while.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
BizROWorld

Post by BizROWorld »

one shot scott wrote:For easier arrow removal I use silicone spray on the arrows, before each shot. I think even a dish soap would help with getting them out. The arrow removal tools are a great idea as well.

I have left an arrow in a target over night, seems like the foam loses some of its memory and its easier to remove after being in there for a while.
Its been in there for a few days now...when I get my T-Puller in a week or so from xbowsplus.com i will give it a try.
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

If it is stuck that bad,I think the T puller will pull the insert out of the arrow. Try and push it in a little first and then back out. Something that grabs the shaft will give you a lot more pulling power. What I did was sit on the ground and put two feet aganist the target, grabbed the shaft with two hands and pushed with my feet. Luckly I had enough arrow sticking out of the target to do this. Good luck
I am a hunter and proud of it.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Good luck using the T puller. I quit using mine after I stripped out a bunch of inserts. The device works. It's just that some arrow makers don't use much glue to hold in the rear insert.

Use a bag for a target if you are shooting field points.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Good luck using the T puller. I quit using mine after I stripped out a bunch of inserts. The device works. It's just that some arrow makers don't use much glue to hold in the rear insert.
If your arrow is that stuck you're more likely to just pull the rear insert out if you use a T-Puller. Cut to the chase and get a Danny Miller puller. Others will work to a point but the DM puller is by far the best I've used. Also lube your arrows. There are various products and concoctions out there but I like Woody's Arrow lube the best. Remember to only lube the first 4" - 6" of your arrow.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
BizROWorld

Post by BizROWorld »

so there is no such thing as just a good target that is good for fieldpoints and broadheads where I can just walk up, and pull it out? how are you suppose to practice like this?

UPDATE > what you guys think of this one?

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... basket.jsp

51 reviews and all are solid.........this would handle my FPoint practice, but what about for a broadhead?
Silver_Fox

Post by Silver_Fox »

I had the same thing when I bought my new target. I bought "the block" which is suppose to have 2 finger removal. I found out that turning the arrow a quarter turn makes a hugh difference. I also found that the t-puller works well.
strum

Post by strum »

[quote="BizROWorld"]so there is no such thing as just a good target that is good for fieldpoints and broadheads where I can just walk up, and pull it out? how are you suppose to practice like this?

You realy need to get a good field point target like the one you asked about (the yellow jacket) i found that a good bag will last for years,,
as far as broadheads..i dont think there is a good answer ..anything you shot with a broadhead gets cut up over time..
of course i can shoot my field tips and broadheads into my Block Crossbow..but i choose not to..just to get longer life i only shoot my broadheads into the Block .and i shoot them sparingly.. i have been looking at one called The Butt Crossbow that looks promising..its around $100.00 so i was hoping someone eles has tried it before i took the plunge,, :) I think i asked that on here once with no responses.
good luck
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

My field point target is a pillow case stuffed tightly with rags. This stops the 424g arrow out of my Exocet with out a problem and the arrows can be removed with two fingers. When the pillow case gets shot up I just put it in another one.

My broadhead target is a American Whitetail Crossbow King which also does a good job stopping my broadhead tipped arrows. It can still be a bear to pull the arrow out; especially when new. The crossbow King does what I need it to do. I don't shoot a lot of broadheads, most of my practice is with field points.

Get a pair of arrows pullers from Dan Miller as Planter recommended.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I use the Rage 2 broadheads and don't pratice with them or shoot them into a target...just into deer! :)
I have the Excalibur crossbow target that I use for my field tips.
It stops the arrows perfectly and you can pull 'em out with no effort at all.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I use rags in a bag . . .works great for field tips. I don't shoot my broadheads anymore at targets.

I would still take that target back. It is NOT working properly. If you had bought a watch and it stopped, then you would take that back. I see no difference here.

The dealer might have even known that bag was questionable, thus why he was willing to part with it for $20. The only way we can get the message back to the guys that make this stuff is to take it back. Then they will have incentive to make a better product.

Take it back . . .let them know it's crap.

Good luck!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
BizROWorld

Post by BizROWorld »

j.krug wrote:I use the Rage 2 broadheads and don't pratice with them or shoot them into a target...just into deer! :)
I havent seen an Excalibur Xbow target....where's it at?
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

BizROWorld wrote:
j.krug wrote:I use the Rage 2 broadheads and don't pratice with them or shoot them into a target...just into deer! :)
I havent seen an Excalibur Xbow target....where's it at?

It's not on their website but my local bow shop gets them in all the time.
I believe I paid around $45 for it last year.
There is a picture of it in last years catalogue on the last page with the Apex and Pixel.
No price or product number though.
Contact the shop you deal with and they can probably get them in for you.
I'll try to post a pic of mine tonight.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads