Boo String Test!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Boo String Test!

Post by sumner4991 »

Let's start this test! Here is a picture and a video to give you a good feel of the string. I have not shot it yet.

Video link . . . http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q72/ ... %20String/

I guess I can't do a direct video, so try a copy and paste. Let me know if it works.

My initial thoughts . . .nice looking string, as expected from a Boo Custom String. The material is not as tacky as the other strings, has almost a slick feel. Loops and serving look awesome . . .look at how tight each weave is on the loop, how each of them look almost identical.

Nice job Don.

Don . . .if you want, please add the specifics of the material.

It's a beautiful day . . .hopefully, I can get outside after lunch and shoot a little.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Normous

Re: Boo String Test!

Post by Normous »

Going to start shooting my string this week after the sickness leaves my body. :(
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
strum

Post by strum »

good looking string..it lokkes blue in the video..you said its a black serving..is it black?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I noticed the blue tint in the video too . . .it's definitely black. :)

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i just want the camera that took the picture :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

It is a 28 strand Astroflight string from Brownell. It twists up into a pretty fat string. It's quite unusual as far as how it feels and feels very light but there isn't much wax in the core of the strands which may be why it feels light. It is pretty slick which makes it a bit of a pain to twist up probably because of the way I make the string. The biggest fear I have with this material is serving separation. I is supposedly lower in creep and noise/shock as well as yield a higher string speed compared to Brownell's Xcel and I find that hard to believe. I am quite skeptical about all this improvement over Xcel.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

OK . . .took my first 25 shots. Mainly trying to get a feel for this string verses my other Boo string and chrony them both under the same conditions.

I was putting on one string and shooting five shots, then putting on the other string and shooting five shots. I was living a bad karate movie . . .string on, string off, string on, string off.

At the end of the release, I get that normal stop and quick vibration. Same as I get from my other Boo Custom string. I really couldn't tell a difference between the vibes. I was tempted to take my STS off the bow and see, but, decided not to because of time constraints. Maybe next time.

The chrony was registering 325.5 FPS for the test string on average and 324.25 FPS on average for the Boo Custom String. I shot an arrow weighing 411.5 gr. out of my Exomax.

I was wanting to test the string against a FFF, but, I gave that one away without realizing it was my last. No problem, the guy I gave it to and I are suppose to be shooting together Friday. I'll "borrow" it. :lol:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I got another 35 shots in today. Sitting at 60 total. Everything looks good. I'll post a picture of the serving later with some additional information. I got a High School tennis match to watch. :)

Anyone else started shooting the test string?

Norm, you feeling better?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

sumner4991 wrote:I got another 35 shots in today. Sitting at 60 total. Everything looks good. I'll post a picture of the serving later with some additional information. I got a High School tennis match to watch. :)

Anyone else started shooting the test string?

Norm, you feeling better?

No chrony work yet just 3 different strings for noise, the fff is by far the loudest, it's a toss up between a Boo string without whiskers and the test string, sometimes I think one is different than the other, then I switch and I'm undecided again, maybe to close to call for me. My POI is the same so far with all three, i'll know more as soon as I get my hands back on my rifle rest so all shots are identical and thru the chrony, this should start tomorrow :D

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I now have 100 shots on the test string.

Mostlybow came by with the FFF I gave him and we did some comparison shooting. The FFF is definitely louder and the vibrations last a tad longer. It's not a whole lot, but, it is easily noticeable.

You can see some slight fraying beginning to appear on the serving. However, there is no separation at all. The separation was a concern. I have discovered that if a string/serving will last 100 shots without separation, then it's usually good until worn out. We will see if this one is any different.

The test string settled in quickly. I made three turns to tighten the string during the first 40 shots and keep my brace height. In the last 60 shots I didn't need any adjusting to the string.

I will run another chronograph test on Monday.

You guys and gals have a great weekend!

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

sumner4991 wrote:I now have 100 shots on the test string.

Mostlybow came by with the FFF I gave him and we did some comparison shooting. The FFF is definitely louder and the vibrations last a tad longer. It's not a whole lot, but, it is easily noticeable.

You can see some slight fraying beginning to appear on the serving. However, there is no separation at all. The separation was a concern. I have discovered that if a string/serving will last 100 shots without separation, then it's usually good until worn out. We will see if this one is any different.

The test string settled in quickly. I made three turns to tighten the string during the first 40 shots and keep my brace height. In the last 60 shots I didn't need any adjusting to the string.

I will run another chronograph test on Monday.

You guys and gals have a great weekend!

Thanks Scott, was starting to worry about my hearing now i know it's ok, should reach the hundred mark tomorrow :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Boo

Post by Boo »

Scott, it appears as though there is no wax on the serving.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Boo wrote:Scott, it appears as though there is no wax on the serving.
I have been waxing it every 25 shots. I just finished my 25th shot when I took the picture. I planned it that way so you could see the serving better. Once I put the wax on, it covers up the frays and could cover up or make any separation harder to see.

Could be the way the light is coming through the window too.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

Due to illness I have been delayed in shooting my test string. Yesterday I got 20 shots in and another 30 today for a total of 50. I did not notice any fraying like Scott did, just some pressure points from the latches (see photo after 50 shots). Today was sunny enough to use the chronograph to get an average speed over 10 shots with new new Astroflight string.

With a short break-in, the test string was adjusted and my average speed over 10 shots was exactly 337 fps. My Custom 34 strand Boo string with 6 cat whiskers (3 a side, two small and one medium size) came in at 334.5 fps average.

The custom boo string certainly had an edge in pleasently dampening the string vibrations. This is my preferred string of choice because I find the whiskers durable and effective with little preformance loss.

I would have thought the 28 strand Astroflight string would have been noticably faster through the chronograph than my (heavier) custom/whiskered 34 strand one. The diifference was only 2.5 fps. The 28 strand Astroflight is thicker and has about the same thickness as a custom 36 stand string in comparison. I'll try to get my scale working to determine the weight difference between the two.

At 50 shots the serving is still as tight as a thirty something female looking for marriage material. I'll report back at 100.

Equipment used:
-Equinox, trigger work
-355 gr GTII arrow
-Competitive Edge Dynamics Chronograpgh
-NGSS string dampers-testing was 12" from the screen
-40 degrees in the sun

Here are some photos:
After 50 shots.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Norm . . .glad you are feeling better. I'm hoping to get out and shoot some more today. Been raining all weekend . . .this morning is no different, a downpour. It's suppose to clear up later, we'll see. But, my yard is a mud hole . . .I will need it to dry up a little too.

I didn't experience any fraying until well after 50 shots. Your string looks a lot like mine after 50 shots.

Your brace height is lower than mine. And, do you have the shims on that bow? I think I have one or two 350 grain arrows in my bucket. I want to see if I can match your speed.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen