Deer Scents

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Onetimeonly x-->

Deer Scents

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

I know that timing and Buck/Doe ratios plays a big part in the scheme of things. I've had more success with Deer calls, grunts and bleats
then any Deer Scent I have tried! I've always wanted to try a Tarsal Gland from a Deer harvest and see how well it works? It's like using fresh
Spawn on the river, probably can't beat it! So, anyone had any good success with a Deer Scent if so which one and who offers it? Thanks.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
onebigskittle

Re: Deer Scents

Post by onebigskittle »

I have used alot of different scents and have even used fox pee,i think covering your human scent is most important
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Lot's of hogs where I hunt...sometimes I put sow estrus on my boots walking to my stand. I've had a few porker's cut the scent trail and come in to investigate!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I've found use the wind to your favor because the one scent you don't want Mr. Buck to smell is your's. Never been into deer scents, good ol grunt calls are the way to go. just my opion

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
masboy

Post by masboy »

no scents here just wind and calls and rubber boots.i like to keep it simple and enjoy.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

I use the Brown boot like liners from an old pair of Sorel boots. I keep them in a plastic bag in my vehicle next to me and put them on without touching anything and step out. By using the Sorels I don't Contaminate the ground walking around suiting up! Once I've got my hunting boots on the Sorels go back in the bag. I like using Raccoon Urine on my hunting boots seems to work in controlling my scent on the ground. Without a doubt Human scent or lack of will make you or break you!
Last edited by Onetimeonly x--> on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
phil

Post by phil »

I agree from all that was said in the above replies....my #1 thing to have on me though in and around the rut is my grunt tube!....in the peak of the rut, i drag a saturated piece of cloth on a string soaked in tinks #69 too. I have had bucks and does follow that in!
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
strum

Post by strum »

last season i had the privlage to hunt some land that has a horse pasture and a nice creek runing through a wooded bottom..
I would always walk across horse poo..i mean i would grind my boots good in every pile i came across..killed 3 deer there..one was a nice 8 point . i had used a drag rag the eve before and that morn a spike came in , walked right to the bush i had hung the rag ,,then followed my drag trail out as far as i could see him ..them about 30 min later the 8 showed up .downwind from the rag,,
i have never been much on scents either but it worked for me that time :D i think it was some year old Code Blue..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16