Another Ontario Coyote down...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fratri

Another Ontario Coyote down...

Post by fratri »

I got another coyote today and this has to be my most special one to date. It is the first one I got using just hand calls... I went out after work today to a relatively new place. Since I just picked up the property a few weeks ago, and I had a couple of hours to kill I figure I would go scout the property out for the upcoming turkey season. I was going to be doing a lot of walking so I wanted to travel light. I left my ecaller in the vehicle and figure I would just go for a walk with my .223 and if a spot looked half decent I would try calling with my hand calls. As I round a corner of a field I notice a bunch of turkeys in the far cut corn field. I watch them for about 15 mins...There must of been about 30 of them...Lucky me... :) .... I want to get closer so I jumped into the bush and make my way closer, I get about 40 yds away and watch for a few more minutes. Not wanting to spook everything I decide to move off and head to the other end of the field and into the tall grass, bush area that separates two fields. This tall grass, stage bush stuff is about 150yds wide by 500 yds long....Just before I sit down and call I spook a few deer, I think great busted already.... I wait a few minutes for everything to settle down and blow a two long wolf howls on my hand caller. I wait a few minutes but nothing shows. I then grab my screaming dying rabbit hand call and begin blowing on it for about 30-40 secs and then wait a few minutes. Just as I am about to blow it again, I see something coming in. My first thought was a deer? but no a coyote is making its way. He was looking for that dying rabbit....He would walk a bit and then stop, walk and stop, he started out at about 200yds or so but continued coming crosswind. He ended up stopping for a good minute behind brush so I gave a few calls using my baby dying rabbit caller. (its a real soft quiet squeak sound) he turned and started coming toward me, as he cleared a tree and some brush I wolfed hin and the .223 dropped her in her tracks, about 100yds away.... She was a small hide beaten coyote compared to the others I have taken.... Enjoy the pics... Frank

The setup…

Downed Coyote

The Pose

"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
Adam

Re: Another Ontario Coyote down...

Post by Adam »

Congratulations on your first hand called. I leave my million dollar Foxpro at home and bring my hand turned calls out. Looking back the E caller was a waste of money but it does a number on the crows.
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Congrats Bud what a great hunt ! :D
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Way to go Frank! Nice! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
phil

Post by phil »

Nice yote!...sounds like you have a new great spot for turkey too!!!
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congrats man!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Frank you da man!!thanks for the pics and story you got that .223 dialed in keep up the good work :D
The best things in life are not things!!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Way to go Frank!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

Good job on the coyote!

I always enjoy how you explain with pics what went down.
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
fratri

Post by fratri »

Mr. Dynamite wrote:Good job on the coyote!

I always enjoy how you explain with pics what went down.
Thanks, if it wasn't for places like this I would never even known it possible to call in a coyote, just paying it forward :) ....
"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri