Quiver on bow or not?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bmac

Quiver on bow or not?

Post by bmac »

I am new to the world of crossbow hunting and have not yet purchased one but am looking at a Phoenix or Exocet. For those who hunt with their crossbows, do you like a quiver on the bow or not? I currently hunt with recurves (shoulder issues are soon to end this) and rarely have a quiver on the bow. I prefer to carry arrows in a side/back quiver and hang it on the tree when I'm on stand. I'm debating on buying a crossbow "naked" and adding accessories including an upgraded scope. It doesn't seem to make sense to buy a package bow when I may not use the quiver and scope that comes with it. Any thoughts?
strum

Re: Quiver on bow or not?

Post by strum »

A lot of guys use a top mounted quiver I used one for a while but for me..i found i like to target shoot without the quiver or mount..its just unneeded weight IMHO ..for huntin i use a Quikie quiver.. that way when i get in my tree i have a screw in bracket i can put in the tree and hang my quiver on...that being said .. Those Munch mounts are pretty nice. you may want to check em out..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

I'd recommend the groundpounder or munch mount too only because it balances the bow better than that side mount.

I have the GP but take it off once in the stand as well.

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by Galgo »

After my first year I went to a hip quiver to keep them out of the way and keep weight of the bow. Wont' go back.

F
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I usually carry my quiver. I tie it around my waist and slide it to hang on my low back. It is out of the way and there if I need it. I can easily reach behind my back and grab an arrow. But, you don't get many second shots while stalking and using the crossbow. If I'm stand hunting, then I'll carry it in and lay it on the ground. I don't get in trees, but, if I did . . .I'd carry the quiver and hang it in the tree.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Joystyx

Post by Joystyx »

Galgo wrote:After my first year I went to a hip quiver to keep them out of the way and keep weight of the bow. Wont' go back.

F
Same thought here. Hip quiver definitely solves the problem of balance
2010 Exomax - Leupold VX-I - HHA Speed Dial
2008 Relayer Y25 #954 -VariZone - S5
A bunch of Firebolts
Shockwaves & Crimson Talons
Inter arma silent leges
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
deerhunter65

Post by deerhunter65 »

I like to use hip quivers too they work much better for me then on the cb .
Excal Exomax
Excal Vortex
Barnett Predator
Too many bolts
Too many guns
GETTING TOO DAMN OLD
frisky

Post by frisky »

Some guys use the hip quiver, I can see a advantage there for side to side balance and less weight. That said, I use a quiver on the bow mounted on top, parallel to the rail. I remove it when I get to my stand.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

This is what I use, it's a catquiver, it's lite you don't know it's on your back, I can carry what I want or need in the three pockets, flashlight, rope cocker plenty of room, I use another for my compound due to longer shafts,

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
bmac

Post by bmac »

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I like the looks of the Munch mounts but I think I will go without the quiver on the crossbow. Limbs and Sticks... I have a couple of catquivers (mini and 3.5) set up for my recurve arrows. I'll change one of these for my crossbow bolts or get some leather and make a sidequiver.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

bmac wrote:Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I like the looks of the Munch mounts but I think I will go without the quiver on the crossbow. Limbs and Sticks... I have a couple of catquivers (mini and 3.5) set up for my recurve arrows. I'll change one of these for my crossbow bolts or get some leather and make a sidequiver.

Then you already know how easy they are to use, I didn't like the hip quiver's that well, seem to be in the way or snagging something, By the way welcome to the forum

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I just stuff my excal quiver in my back pack & away I go. Simple yet effective...

Don't like any extra weight on the front end..

Last edited by Carnivorous on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Personal preference whether you have a quiver mounted to your bow or go with a hip quiver or another method.
I have a munch mount that I use for hunting,
Sometimes I take it off when I arrive at my hunting spot but often I will just leave it on.
I do prefer a hip quiver when target shooting or practicing.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

I use the stock quiver on the bow. I practise with it on the bow at times and don't find that it affects my shooting. When I get to the tree stand I take it off to reduce wieght a bit. It's simple, cheep, and does the trick.

Regards
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I use a Munch Mount that was custom made for me and I do not remove my Quiver. It is nicer to carry and nicer to shoot with with th quiver centered on the crossbow.
Thanks,
Raymond