Lost my dogs!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CDN Taxman

Re: Lost my dogs!

Post by CDN Taxman »

Actually, I lost my dog at the very same cabin mentioned above in 2003.

We were off visiting some friends and my brother in law was at the camp with our dog. A big thunderstorm struck and instead of running to the camp, she ran into the woods. This was on a Thursday and we were leaving for home on the Saturday.

What a sight we were. I was in a cast and on crutches and my wife was 6 months pregnant. I spent the rest of the daylight hours Thursday and almost all Friday looking for her on a 4-wheeler. I put my jacket out on the road (similiar to what Wheelie did above) and still no success.

Nothing hurt more than putting our vehicle in drive and heading to Southern Ontario without our dog of 11 years.

Sunday morning, we're at home and the phone rings.

It's our local animal shelter and they are asking if we still owned the dog?

Here's the rest of the story!

Some couple from Toronto was driving from Sault Ste. Marie to home and were just east of Bruce Mines when they spotted our dog (almost 9 kms straight south of the camp) on Highway 17. For whatever reason, the lady told her husband that something didn't seem right and made him turn around.

The drove up to the dog and opened their back door and she immediately jumped in. They looked at the dogs tags and could tell that she was from Southern Ontario, so they kept her in the car and continued driving.

The rabies tags were a year old but they called the animal shelter anyways.....on a Sunday. It just so happened that there was someone there tending to the kennels when they called and that's who called me. She looked up the old dog tag and got our number from there. Since it was a year old, that's why she asked if we still owned her!

I got outside where the wife was and told her the good news! Obviously she was ecstatic!

We met the couple at the Hwy 88 rest stop on the 400. What a sight for sore eyes! Other than losing about 5 lbs and being full of burrs, the dog looked otherwise good and was thrilled to see us!

She jumped into our van and laid down. When we got home, she stayed in the basement for three days before coming up for good! She started eating again about two days later.

Man, they can really get into your hearts, eh?

Mike
Last edited by CDN Taxman on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by j.krug »

That's an amazing story Mike!
What a stroke of good luck for you and the dog!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
bommer

Post by bommer »

Glad you have your dogs back. the worst feeling in the world to lose your best friends I have lost coon hounds , and also left my coat out and came back to find them curled on it. what a relief
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Glad you got your pup's back! :D I had to put my 13 year old golden down in nov...just ain't the same without him.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
tman74

Post by tman74 »

Glad to hear you got them back.
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Glad to hear you got your dogs back, all of you who had them run off. Definately an emotional rollar coaster!!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Beagles are hounds, and as such they pretty much do what they want sometimes and the heck with the consequences. LOL.
Glad you got em back Wheelie. I'm sure they're just like your kids to you. (sort of)........
In the Wind.......
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Glad you found them Wheelie. A part of the family they are.
Raymond
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Pretty cool wheelie! Good thinking on your part, it tells me them dogs know and love where they live. Dogs are mans best friend for a reason! Very loyal and great companions! :D
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Glad you got your dogs back! :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Glad you've been reunited!

Microchip your dogs. Don't count on them keeping their collar on. Microchipping isn't a foolproof, but it's one more way to help them find their way back to you if they are picked up.

Engrave your cell phone # on the dog tags - it's what you're most likely going to have with you when you're looking for them.

Consider using buckle tags on the collar - they aren't as likely to get lost as regular dog tags (and they don't jingle).

Tracking collars sound like a great way to go. You never know if your dog might be hung up on a fence by it's collar, or stuck in a well or in an old trap, or ....
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Glad to hear a happy ending to the story Wheelie ! I know all to well what it feels like to have a dog missing .

My wife's dog disappeared on our wedding day while we were at the reception. Long story short we spent 2 days looking for her. Ended up getting a call from a lady 20 miles away saying she found the dog on the side of the road . What a way to start your honeymoon :lol: