Lost my dogs!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Lost my dogs!

Post by wheelie »

Took my beagles out to a new bush they have never been to before. I always just take one dog with me and they stay within eye sight of me and always come when I call. Decided it was time to try both dogs together. Let them out of the truck in a remote spot and let them off there chains. Off they went, never heard a noise from them, not even a peep. After an hour of nothing I went looking for them. Walked for miles calling them here and there. Not a peep. After 3 1/2 hours of nothing I thought, well I will go home and hope someone calls me because they have our phone number on there collars. I decided on the way home to stop where I let them out of the truck and left a blanket. When I got there, they were both laying on the blanket sleeping and the minute they seen the truck they wanted in. Dogs seemed to have a gr8 day but I did not. A man was there and said they showed up 20 minutes ago and he was wondering what to do. They never got in trouble for it at all, but it will be a while before they both go together again.

On a side note, I am happy that now I know if they get lost they can find there way back. After all they are house dogs with hunting oppertunities. Guess maybe train my bloodhound to find them! LOL
j.krug

Re: Lost my dogs!

Post by j.krug »

Wow!! I'd have been worried as all get out.
Glad they made their way back and very cool that they stayed with the blanket you left, not sure I would have thought to leave a blanket?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Glad you got them back Wheelie. They sure know who fills their belly. :D
cmawdsley

Post by cmawdsley »

Glad you got them back. I'm sure you were a little stressed.
Chris Mawdsley,
2011 Exocet 200
Lumizone scope
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Oh yes, I was certainly stressed. My biggest fear was the dogs would get separated, and one show up at a farm with a big ugly farm dog. All I was praying that they would stay together. They are very close, and would defend each other till death.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Little buggers, those Beagles are born with their own agendas!Image
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I like happy endings. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
strum

Post by strum »

sumner4991 wrote:I like happy endings. 8)
me too !!!Great ending to an almost bad story:D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Good to hear they are allright!! a guy I know had his beagle pup on bunnies last year heard some loud yelps when he got to his pup it was too late coyotes tore him up :evil:
The blanket works good even better leave an old coat or sweater as long as it has lots of your scent on it in a pinch even a t-shirt works just make sure ya come back :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

That's where a tracking collar can come in handy. We were up in Northern Ontario once in a remote (kinda) area north of Thessalon and Bruce Mines.

A dog showed up at the camp and hung around with us (a beagle too by the way). After a while a truck pulls up and a guy says, "You've got my dog?".

Followed the signal right to the camp!

Mike

P.S. Glad to hear you got them back too!
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by j.krug »

Quite a few years ago I moved from Windsor to Belle River.
At the time I had a male black lab and a little male mixed mutt and they where inseperable.
A day or two after we moved they got out of the yard and were gone for almost 2 weeks.
It was the middle of winter so I figured they where either taken in by someone or had perished somehow.
Low and behold my mother in law who lives on the shore of Lake St Clair in Belle River sees 2 tiny specks way out on the lake one day.
As they get closer to shore she realizes it's a big dog and a little dog and she went out and started calling them.
They made their way to her and sure enough it was our dogs Buddy and Andy!!
She took them to our house and put them inside with some food and water.
My wife and I didn't know they had been found until we got home from work that day and we were so happy and surprised.
They were a little shabby looking but none the worse for wear.
We couldn't stop laughing and crying like fools because we thought we'ed never see them again. :( :lol:
Crazzy a$$ dogs!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

j.krug wrote:We couldn't stop laughing and crying like fools because we thought we'ed never see them again. :( :lol:
You get pretty close to them. Dogs are part of me and my family now. Even though some days they drive me nutzz!!! LOL
Tom

Post by Tom »

j.krug wrote:Wow!! I'd have been worried as all get out.
Glad they made their way back and very cool that they stayed with the blanket you left, not sure I would have thought to leave a blanket?
I grew up with beagles and know that Lost Dog feeling well. Leaving a blanket is a good thing to do, but what is better is an old bed of the dogs or old coat of yours. They will recognize it as theirs and stay with it knowing you will be back. I would not leave food of any amount the first day or two other then a favorite treat of theirs. But make sure they have water there and post a sign saying if dogs come back call ********. Also the sign should be large enough that someone could see the # from far enough away to not scare the dogs.

Glad you got them back ............ I love beagles.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

wheelie wrote:
j.krug wrote:We couldn't stop laughing and crying like fools because we thought we'ed never see them again. :( :lol:
You get pretty close to them. Dogs are part of me and my family now. Even though some days they drive me nutzz!!! LOL
For sure they are wheelie.
We've always had labs and they tuly become a member of the family.
My wife and kids laugh at me all the time cause I talk to my Roxy the same way I talk to them....I know she understands me!! :) :lol:

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

MADMAX2 wrote:a guy I know had his beagle pup on bunnies last year heard some loud yelps when he got to his pup it was too late coyotes tore him up :evil:
We've never had coyote problems on our rabbit hunts, but that is something that I sometimes worry about.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount