Handling a cocked Xbow question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

houser52

Handling a cocked Xbow question

Post by houser52 »

I am still doing some research on xbows and their use before I order my new Excaliber.
Before I ask my questions, I'm a hunter and former competitive pistol shooter. I know not to EVER trust a safety and always keep the business end of a weapon pointed in a safe direction.

With that said...
While watching some xbow hunting videos I've noticed some of the hunters pick up their cocked but unloaded bows off the ground by grabbing the forend from the topside instead from underneath. This actually puts their arm and hand directly in the path of the fired string if the safety should fail or something else happens.

You shouldn't do that to begin with but it got me to thinking...
How reliable are the safeties?
Has anybody ever had a manual safety fail while under string tension?
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
sumner4991

Re: Handling a cocked Xbow question

Post by sumner4991 »

First of all . . .ya can't fix stupid.

The safeties are very reliable . . .when used properly.

As long as that latch is in the safety position, then it will not go off.

There was a thread on this a few months ago . . .try a search.

Welcome to the forum.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Tom

Post by Tom »

I think that to be either on a hunting show or have your own, you must be stupid now a days. If you watch many shows you will see people doing very stupid things along the way of safety.

How reliable are safeties ....... Quite safe if your talking about a quality bow and it has been looked after properly. I would never trust a cheap bow as safeties are a mechanical device and mechanical devices will fail one time or another. It is just that Quality units will last alot longer then others.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

It takes a very stupid person to put their hand on the top part of rail of an unloaded but cocked CB! Excals safetys are great but its a machine so i keep that in mind. I pick mine up from butt-stock
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

RULE #1 - Never trust any saftey.
Can tell this story because when it happened Excalipur got the same true story:
I have an old wolverine. I was in my treestand and don't ask me why but I was playing with the saftey. Clicking it on and off the old stile on the side of the bow. The bow went off jamming my arrow into my wooden treestand. Bow went back and scope broke on the other side of the treestand. I phoned excalipur and explained what happened and the very next morning there was a new scope at my door. They phoned me and asked me to bring in my bow to see the trigger when ever I could get it there. Took it in and the very sameday, got my bow back with new or fixed trigger what ever they did. I fought to pay them some money for my own stuipity, but they would not have any part of me paying anything. How can anyone beat that kinda service. Thats why I strongly defend excalipur and sometimes get a little harsh when trouble makers come to the site to harass us for kicks. :) :)

On a side note: The only company I hear the same kinda reputation with is Foxpro Game calls, That's why I bought one from them. Have never needed them yet, but it is a nice safe feeling knowing if I ever do.

While I advetise, shop Home Depot also!!!!!! LMAO Was told today they are not giving anymore trucks away on Contractors Day. Guess I was a pain in the ***.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum!
It is wise to treat your Xbow safety the same as your pistol safety....use it but but always know it may fail so don't totally trust it.
As for some fella reaching down thru the top of a cocked crossbow....well that's just plain old STUPID!!!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

The safety is a sear blocking safety. From what I've seen about half of the sear engagement is blocked by the safety. I'll not say anything else but from what you've said you should know what I am saying.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

1st: (and most important) Welcome to the forum!!!!

2nd: Odd that your first questions are about safeties, and not like most people researching excaliburs: what model to buy and why. Perhaps its the competitive shooter in you that made you notice that.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
houser52

Post by houser52 »

Thanks for all the info and opinions on the Excalibur safety.

I had already done some reading on another good xbow forum before I found this one. Matter of fact I see some of the sames guys on here. For a soon to be xbow newbie there's a lot of good info on both forums. All of that good info is what steered me toward Excalibur and the Ibex in particular.

I haven't placed my order yet but hope to real soon.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

mate l've had a trigger apart & if you saw how simple & well made they are you'd feel good about it, there bullet proof
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

welcome to the forum! lots of good info here!

wheelie, almost sounding like a spammer! :shock: But yer right, if someone gave me good service like that I would recommend them too. 8) especially if they gave me a new truck! :wink: :lol: :lol: Info on service is always good to know.
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

bcmuledeer wrote:wheelie, almost sounding like a spammer! :shock: .
Wheelie the spam bot! LOL
End of the road

Post by End of the road »

I have always had some concerns about safetys on my guns and my Excal somehow getting accidentally clicked off and am always very careful. When I first got my bow I would always keep my thumb on the safety to make sure it would stay on when walking in the forest but found a good rubber band around the stock and over the safety lever puts my mind at ease. It is quick and easy to slip the rubber band off when getting ready for a shot but keeps a little pressure on the lever to keep it on when you want it on.
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

Walking out to the stand in daylight I can't begin to say how many time I've wanted to hold the crossbow the same way.

But, my fingers are way too important to me and I've always resisted the urge.

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS