Some pic's from 2011 turkey season , so far + video link

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Some pic's from 2011 turkey season , so far + video link

Post by R.J. »

Our prey = Eastern Wild Turkey " Meleagris gallopavo "

We hunted several farms and took some beauty birds on our 2011 Ontario Turkey opening day ...

Vic R. , Tim and Jim S. were set up in local spots ...
They had some decent action in the morning .Vic and Tim took a beauty Jakes ( shotgun ) .

Jim S. took a beauty Jake ( Excal crossbow ) .

This is link to Jim S's video ... Excalibur Equinox with video mount above scope .
( cool video , great shot ... jake expires within sight of ground blind )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JR7JzFm_bU

Randy,Chris,Skip and myself were set up on two farms across a concession road from each other ... we saw birds in the morning , but none of us connected !

We broke for breakfast approx 9:30am and had a good laugh at a video Chris took showing a missed opportunity on three beauty birds !
( hey ... it happens , and even better when you catch it on video so your buddies can rub it in ! )

Skip had to go , so Randy , Chris and myself put time in on another 5 farms total .... we came up with three birds total in the afternoon .

Man did we get wet ! ... Randy picked up a beauty opening day Jake with his newly acquired Remington 870 pump .

I picked up a nice Tom with my Y25 Relayer ( Easton XX75 with 130 gr Wasp Broadhead ) ...
My wife took a picture with my pocket camera , once all my gear was dried off in the barn .
( arrow still in place .. at 42 yards I didn't get a pass thru )

7 1/2 inch beard ...

1 1/8 spurs ...

As I mentioned before .. CH " Chris " and his father in law "Skip " missed a few birds all caught on video !
Chris redeemed himself and got a nice Tom later in the afternoon with his Remington 1187 .

I originally had the week off , but with fluctuations in my work schedule ,
I'm back on night shift and busy fitting in spring chores at home between bouts of rain !
" Gotta make hay while the sun is shining ! "
Never get lonely doing chores ...
I have the " crew " with me at all times ! ( " Spike " our mini Dachshund , " Jade " our lab , and " Gus " our pet Tom )

" Gus " is never far away and can be heard gobbling ( I love that sound ! ) every time I swing a hammer or make noise working on the barn etc... The barn is very old and its age and construction design lend it to heave / sway during the different weather swings ... so the slinding rail door needs lots of adjustment !

Here are few other pic's I pulled from the memory card ...
Early this month a Mennonite farmer planting ...

And a couple of scavengers ...

We will be back at it Saturday trying to fill our 2nd tags ... Good luck to all that venture out ... Safe Hunt and have fun !
Last edited by R.J. on Fri May 13, 2011 12:29 am, edited 8 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
rt2bowhunter

Re: Some pictures from 2011 turkey season , so far ...

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Great pics thanks for sharing.
Rich

Post by Rich »

As always RJ, nice pics. I thought Gus was the most realistic decoy I have seen when I first looked, pretty cool to hear him gobble all the time.
secret

Post by secret »

Great photos! Congrats on the harvests! But i like "GUS" the best !!!!!!!!! I need to get me a pet Turkey. Awesome!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Nice pics and hunting adventure. Is that turkey a different breed than the ones you hnt in Ontario? He sure is a beautiful bird.
Raymond
beagler

Post by beagler »

Nice!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Excellent pics there!
Thanks for sharing them with us. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
R.J.

Re: Some pic's from 2011 turkey season , so far + video link

Post by R.J. »

Thanks all ....

I got a few PM's about " Gus " ..
I picked him up at a fur and feather auction in Woodstock a few years ago .. he is a domesticated " Bronze " Turkey .

I've always enjoyed having pheasants / pigeons / chuckar / bob whites etc. in the past , so I thought it would be cool to change things up and get a turkey . He has been a great pet , is very tame , struts around while we are out on the property and provides lots of comic relief !

It's cool to hear him gobble all the time ... and he shows up in many of my picture threads :lol:

I also got a few PM's about " why no pass thru " ?
Well , it was a long shot in my books ( 42 yards ranged ) ( I have been practicing at 50 yards for months ) ( and remember , turkeys don't squat / duck the string at release )

This Tom came in with a couple jakes along a hardwood ridge ... they past a 42 yard tree I had ranged ... When the Tom's head was behind a tree , I moved my Y25 Relayer into position and spooked a jake ... the Tom started to quarter away when he cleared the tree ... the 2216 licked thru some light slash and picked him up quartering away .. the 130 grain Wasp broadhead tore thru the vitals but slowed when it caught some breast and wing bone on the opposite side .... bowled him over and he did a " dead on his feet " wing flap run over the ridge , where I found him piled up .

Bottom line ... the 2216 did the job !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

So what exaclly does Gus think of all these turkey's coming home dead? Does Gus enjoy a good turkey dinner also? Congrads on all the birds. :) :)
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

wheelie wrote:So what exaclly does Gus think of all these turkey's coming home dead?
That's what I was wondering too! He is strutting in every picture you see of him!

How much meat is lost to the broadhead by a body shot?
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Congratulations on your successful hunt!

Great photos, and video! Thanks for sharing.. :D
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife