Open sights on a crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bulkness

Open sights on a crossbow

Post by bulkness »

I have narrowed my search for a crossbow to the Excalibur Equinox or Exomax. LIving in Idaho I am now allowed to hunt with a magnified scope on my xbow and I really don't want to use a red dot scope. What are some of the members using for an "iron sight" system. I have researched the Bad River Outdoors Tagged Out Crossbow Sight and it looks like it might fill the package. Is anyone using the sighting system on their xbows. Tony
Dash

Re: Open sights on a crossbow

Post by Dash »

All the "excalibur" scopes are pretty reliable hunting scopes. They're releasing the 2 new models now so I'd give them a good look at. If you get a decent Crossbow like an excalibur you don't want to go too cheap on a scope for it. A chain's only as good as its weakest link.
SScott

Post by SScott »

You are not allowed to use a magnified scope in Idaho? If not, then you could try the peep sights that come with the bow. I'm using them now. They're fine. I saw the tagged out sights as well, but I'm not sure they make one for the Excalibur model I use.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Excalibur just came out with a multi-dot red dot this year that might meet your needs depending on the regs.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Joel

Post by Joel »

i have also tried hard to research options for open sights as well.. i'm in washington and can't use scopes. the tagged out crossbow sight and the peep/pin sight that comes with the excalibur xbows seem to be the only options out there. when i order mine i'll be also ordering the tagged out sight and trying it out.. looks solid and well made and the review i read was all positive feed back. they make a model that fits both those bows you have mentioned too. :D
bulkness

Post by bulkness »

Thanks for all the info. I think I will give the Tagged Out sights a try also.

Tony
crash50

Post by crash50 »

I too, am in Idaho, and this year will be hunting with a crossbow in archery season.
One destroyed and rebuilt shoulder is enough. But my Doc says she will not guarantee it if I continue to hunt with a vertical compound bow.
A friend locally has an Equinox he wants to sell, but his asking price is pretty high, about $500 for the whole rig.

I also am wondering on the open sight issue. I have looked at the Regulations and it says, IF you have the disability hunting permit, YOU CAN use an electronic optic, but the local Conservation officer is not sure about that. Definitely no magnified optics anyway.
So, I am thinking the peep and pin setup will be it for me.
After all the looking at X-bows, I have returned and settled on the Equinox I believe as I am not a small guy, 6'3' and 250, so I can pull it back with no problem.
The only thing that I am waiting on is the sight issue.
Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Here's a much less expensive option for you these are modified Excalibur sights I do these by hand
PM me for pricing if you are interested

Tenpoint Matrix
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Dereck wrote:Here's a much less expensive option for you these are modified Excalibur sights I do these by hand
PM me for pricing if you are interested

Nice looking sight and good work. :D
joakley2000

Post by joakley2000 »

I realy intereted in your modified open sights.
I am interested in three (3) modified open sight sets for my excalibur crossbows.
Could you get me a price and if they are available, thanks.

Eric
fourwair

Post by fourwair »

Derek.......would appreciate contacting you for pricing on open sights for Equinox crossbow. Couldn't find how to PM you through the forum site. thanks...bill
WesternMaHuntr

Post by WesternMaHuntr »

Bad River Outdoors also makes a fiber optic sight for the Excalibur and a few other crossbows,tho a little pricey it seems to me!
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

bad river sight is in one word... awesome! have one. yes it is expensive, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for... my only regret? well eyesight is not what it used to be and peep sights make it harder to see the pins at times. however if you want a reliable, tough, and dependable sight then by all means get this baby. you will not be disappointed!! phone # 989-642-2345
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

would like some info. on those sights also, thanks...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Tennessee Rebel

Post by Tennessee Rebel »

PM sent to Dereck