Should I use Rail Lube / Wax?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SScott

Should I use Rail Lube / Wax?

Post by SScott »

I have been using the excalibur wax on my string and X Rail Lube on my phoenix (rail lube every three shots), as that is what the dealer reccomended to me. I notice that the insturctional video that came with the crossbow said to only use the wax on the string and let it work into the rail. Is this what I should be doing? I'm a little hesitant, becaue I've been taking 45 - 60 shots each time I go to shoot, and if I don't lube the rail often, I get this heat smell and start to worry about the health of the string.

The big drawback is that the rail lube is sticky, dries and then I have to really work to clean it off. I was thinking about a putting a thin layer of Maquire's car wax on the rail, but I worry about the chemical effects of this.

Does anyone have any advice?

I apologize for bothering you all so often, but you seem to really know what you're doing here.

Steve
one shot scott

Re: Should I use Rail Lube / Wax?

Post by one shot scott »

I don't like waxing the rail, too much surface area that will collect grit and then your doing more harm than good.

I think the heat smell your getting is from the aluminum nock as it's launched down the rail. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

SScott wrote: I was thinking about a putting a thin layer of Maquire's car wax on the rail, but I worry about the chemical effects of this.

I have done that about once a year for the last three or four years. . .works good. Never had any side effects.

I only wax the serving every 20-25 shots. I use a silicone spray on the rail, mainly to clean the wax off, once after every outing. The silicone spray really breaks down the wax, so, keep it off the serving.

You really only need to keep the rail clean . . .same with your shafts. I just like to use the silicone spray for that.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

ive never used it have a friend tho says too much rail lube and tends to shoot lower, for a few shots ,
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

SScott wrote:I have been using the excalibur wax on my string and X Rail Lube on my phoenix (rail lube every three shots), as that is what the dealer reccomended to me. I notice that the insturctional video that came with the crossbow said to only use the wax on the string and let it work into the rail. Is this what I should be doing? I'm a little hesitant, becaue I've been taking 45 - 60 shots each time I go to shoot, and if I don't lube the rail often, I get this heat smell and start to worry about the health of the string.

The big drawback is that the rail lube is sticky, dries and then I have to really work to clean it off. I was thinking about a putting a thin layer of Maquire's car wax on the rail, but I worry about the chemical effects of this.

Does anyone have any advice?

I apologize for bothering you all so often, but you seem to really know what you're doing here.

Steve
i only use wax on the string and i use jigaloo on my rail, it dries dry no wet or sticky residue to collect dirt, i use it about every 10 shots or so
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
SScott

Post by SScott »

one shot scott wrote:I don't like waxing the rail, too much surface area that will collect grit and then your doing more harm than good.

I think the heat smell your getting is from the aluminum nock as it's launched down the rail. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong
Yes, I get a wax like build up and it is rather nasty. I think I will just ditch it and try something else. I didn't realize that was the nocks. I was worried I was going to ruin my string. Thanks!
SScott

Post by SScott »

sumner4991 wrote:
SScott wrote: I was thinking about a putting a thin layer of Maquire's car wax on the rail, but I worry about the chemical effects of this.

I have done that about once a year for the last three or four years. . .works good. Never had any side effects.

I only wax the serving every 20-25 shots. I use a silicone spray on the rail, mainly to clean the wax off, once after every outing. The silicone spray really breaks down the wax, so, keep it off the serving.

You really only need to keep the rail clean . . .same with your shafts. I just like to use the silicone spray for that.
Thanks for the help. I've been using WD-40 on the rail and Break Free CLP for any screws, etc. What silicone spray do you use?

I have been waxing the whole string after each shooting session, but I probably shoot fifty to sixty shots, so I guess I will up the frequency of my string waxing.
SScott

Post by SScott »

I'm not sure what Jigaloo is, but I will look into it. I don't know if the wax affects my accuracy, but it's messy, even when shooting the bow. It's a hassle, for me anyway.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Try Dalton 2000 on your serving and string. No possibility of build up and it's slick.
http://www.daltonarchery.com/wax-conditioner.php
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dash

Post by Dash »

Theres a lot of different opinions about this subject. And although some opinions conflict, doesn't mean one of them is wrong. Theres wax and theres wax. If you use a normal dense type bowstring wax on the serving the chances are it will get buildup on the rail and cause friction patches and inconsistant shots. A "CRC silicon spray" or "rail lube" applied to the rail and "wiped clean" will help stop this buildup. Hard type waxes are OK on the rest of the string, but not good for smooth serving/rail continuity. Like Boo suggested "Daltons" or a similar high speed waxes are better a better option. They don't build up, soft and easy to apply, and very good at limiting the friction between the Serving/Rail . Its a more convenient way to go.
Last edited by Dash on Sat May 21, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

x2 on the Dalton's. I can't see any diff using Jigaloo so I don't, lol. You can overwax, harder to do w/ Dalton's.

Excals are bullet proof, quit worrying and just shoot it. I didn't use any wax for 2 years and mine shot fine.

As for your dryfire, I had one [of many] where I couldn't find the string in my shop for a week. [FFF coiled up on a grey shelf like the Cobra it was] :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

SScott wrote:I'm not sure what Jigaloo is, but I will look into it. I don't know if the wax affects my accuracy, but it's messy, even when shooting the bow. It's a hassle, for me anyway.
jigaloo is a spray lubricant and available at auto parts stores.bright orange can. there is no odor after it dries.spray on rag then wipe rail
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

badredbird wrote:ive never used it have a friend tho says too much rail lube and tends to shoot lower, for a few shots ,
MATE I'VE SAID THAT FOR ALONG TIME I'M JUST WONDERING IF PEOPLE THINK THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THERE SIGHTS (RAIL LUBE DOES SLOW YOUR BOLTS DONE) MAKE NO MISTAKE OF THAT, I'VE FOUND JUST FOR THE FIRST 5 OR 6 SHOTS AS WELL AS SERVING WAX, I USE SILICON SPRAY LUBE SINCE I READ ONE OF BOO'S POSTS ABOUT IT & NO PROBLEM...BEST REGARDS FRANK
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I use Future floor polish on my rail. Wife keeps it around for the floors. Seems to make it slippery
TPM

Post by TPM »

I've never ever used any kind of rail lube or wax but I do wax my serving every 75-100 shots. Never had any issues.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger