shooting mechanical broad heads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hurketthunter

shooting mechanical broad heads

Post by Hurketthunter »

Just a quick question, I've been shooting fixed blades since I started crossbow hunting several years ago. I know I always had to practice with my fixed blades because they don't fly like my field points. What I don't know is if I start shooting mechanical broadheads do I need to practice with them before the season or can I just shoot field points? I've always heard that they fly like field points but I'd rather hear from some people that have experience with them. Thanks for any info.

Hurketthunter
Pydpiper

Re: shooting mechanical broad heads

Post by Pydpiper »

It's always best to try first, but you are likely to find they will fly like a field point.
A good spin test is usually all that's needed. Personally though, I would want to see it fly before I hunted with it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum

There are a few brands that come with a practise heads

I shoot rage BH and they send a practise head with the BH's
I tryed it once to make sure they did fly like field points

Like said make sure your arrow is true and practise with your FP's :D :D
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Hurketthunter wrote:Just a quick question, I've been shooting fixed blades since I started crossbow hunting several years ago. I know I always had to practice with my fixed blades because they don't fly like my field points. What I don't know is if I start shooting mechanical broadheads do I need to practice with them before the season or can I just shoot field points? I've always heard that they fly like field points but I'd rather hear from some people that have experience with them. Thanks for any info.

Hurketthunter
[/size i have used both the spitfire and the rage 100 grain mechanicals and with either one i can shoot all summer with practice tips and switch to broadhead the night before season and have all the confidence that they will shoot the same as practice tips. when i started using spitfires 10 years ago i first used the practice blades to find out how they shot but after a year of shooting with the practice blades i realized it made no difference. thats my personal findings but it would be a good idea to try them with your setup just to be certain.....
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

your fixed blades should be flying close to your broadheads depending on type you use and orientation, those boltcutters shoot just like a field point when aligned to vanes , i have shot the new spitfire 170 grain, they are accurate and give you good foc , , they fly just like the 170 grain filkedpoints they give ya,
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D
I've been shooting spitfire's for 8 yrs...use to soot practice tips then switch to hunting heads before season. Now i just go from field tips to hunting heads, they shoot exactly like field tips!! Been shooting grim reapers lately and they also fly just like field tips. :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

After a few years of practicing with the mechanicals, I have stopped. They have always shot just like my field tips. Granted I have to make sure the arrow/broadhead is straight . . .no wobbles.

There are several advantages to using mechanicals vs fixed blades. However, the one that sold me over and over again is the cutting surface. A large cutting surface will knock a deer to it's knees on a double lung shot.

You can always tie a mechanical shut with dental floss and practice with it.

I love the mechanicals.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

yes cutting surface witrh the mechanicals is nicer, did have a few probs with boltcutters picking up blood, really like the blood runners just wish they were heavier, there kid of a hybrid, as far as grim reapers used them but they usually break alot one shot and done unless ya you replace blades
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I shot the spitfire hunting head 3 blade 100gr into my block target just to test it and it does fly just like a 100gr field point.Great hunting head.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

mechs are a love hate relationship with me...I cant make up my mind..I lost a real whopper once due to ME taking a bad shot with a mech BUT if had been a cutOnImpact I would have that deer today..SO If you choose to use the mechs HOSS thats me lol stick with the rules for mechs that do not apply to fixed
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!