Bear !!!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bigsy

Re: Bear !!!!!!

Post by bigsy »

Ottawa Valley Lad wrote:
bigsy wrote:
Ottawa Valley Lad wrote:Help me understand your logic that the bear needs to be harvested.

The population is naturally increasing across the province, and it's only healthy for them to spread out a little. It's not good for them to live trap them and bring them back up this way to be over populated.

You just answered your own question :roll:
I don't think I answered my own question. I wasn't clear enough, if the bear comes back and rips the hive apart again, yeah it's a problem that need to be dealt with.

One option would be a solar powered electric fence, there is a missionary near Combermere that started using one a few years ago for this very reason and it solved the problem.

If the bear does end up being harvested, I hope that the meat is not spoiled and that you eat it, you might be surprised and enjoy it.

It seems like there is a perception that black bears are big scary human predators, when they are actually big powerful animals that don't like to be screwed with.

If you live in the area where the bear has been seen, it might not be a bad idea to take down your humming bird feeder and bird feeders, don't store garbage outside. Also, bears love dog food too.

On another note, we have more than enough coyotes, and they seem to have started out in the US and have grown and migrated north over the course of time. We should live trap them all and take them back to where they came from.
Your right you weren't clear enough. Sorry for the sarcasm.

You also make great points, however, southern western Ontario has been more or less bear absent for the majority of a century meaning most people here are not adapted to live side by side with bears. This bear will no doubt be classified as a nuisance bear(as no one here bear proofs anything) and trapping the animal will not be a option hence it will be harvested, is it the bear fault no, just being a bear, but public opinion and, yes fear will win and seal this bears fate. The real sad part is this won't be the last bear to meet its end this way.
I agree it would be a shame if the meat was wasted.
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
Ottawa Valley Lad

Post by Ottawa Valley Lad »

Bigsy

I think it might take a while, but the southern Ontario crowd is going to have to learn to co exist with them at some point.

There are less people hunting bears now and it's too easy to blame it on the cancellation of the spring bear hunt etc. But one of the side effects of no spring bear hunt, and several years of excellent berry weather meant that the sows often had 2 or 3 cubs each spring. Enough time has passed since the spring hunt cancellation that the population is growing exponentially.

If bear is ready to reproduce at 2 years old and has 2 cubs each year for 5 years and her cubs start reproducing at the same rate you can see where the population gets to the point they need to spread out.

Harvesting the immigrants (and yes I do mean the new bears to the area :D ) might be part of a solution, but core problem is further north with a rapidly increasing population. The damp spring we just had and now warmer weather looks like another big year for berries etc, which means the sows are going to go into their den's with lots of reserve fat and will definitely have more cubs next year.

I guess I should explain a little further the last paragraph. Bears for some neat strange reason biologically know if they have enough stored energy/fat to be able to keep it's self alive, and feed the cubs. If the body tells it self, nope, then the bear will not proceed with the pregnancy. Wouldn't that be neat if humans could change their minds?
Bones

Post by Bones »

Try dealing with grizzlies their even more fun!! I don't worry about black bears, it's the habituated bear ( either or ) that poses a problem. And generally we are to blame for their habit forming way.
youngbuck1

Post by youngbuck1 »

those bears are worse
Pro-staff for team gobblestalker
pro-staff at Turkey tuque
DUCKS UNLIMITED CANADA
Turkey callers of canada
http://www.gobblestalkercalls.com
type1 diabetic since 2003
mike schnarr :P
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Better do your math again on bear population increases.
-Sows have their first cub at 4 years old
-Average litter is less than 2 cubs after that
-The sow only breeds every other year.
Sure, they will increase population with time in a favorable situation, but not even close to what deer can do.
Personally I think we should start a restocking program in Southern Ontario, not persecute them. They are indiginous to this area and should be welcomed back!
Perhaps the Don Valley would be a good location for the initial release?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Is Don Valley and Boo Valley in about the same location? If so, then that's funny. :mrgreen:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

:lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Bones

Post by Bones »

Bill T wrote:Better do your math again on bear population increases.
Sure, they will increase population with time in a favorable situation, but not even close to what deer can do.
Personally I think we should start a restocking program in Southern Ontario, not persecute them. They are indiginous to this area and should be welcomed back!

I think I may know where you are going with the restocking idea...... Brilliant!!
Bones
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

youngbuck1 wrote:He has pics too
Lets see those pics :shock:
Tenpoint Matrix
Ottawa Valley Lad

Post by Ottawa Valley Lad »

Bill T wrote:Better do your math again on bear population increases.
Thanks Bill

I stand corrected on the breeding habits of the bears, even with your numbers, yeah they are increasing and it's visibly noticed around here.

Don't know what's going on but have seen several sows with 2 and 3 cubs tagging along the past couple of years.

The more bears you can take down there the better, we have an abundance of coyotes free to a good home too.
youngbuck1

Post by youngbuck1 »

Who knows were that bear can be now ??? Lol
DUCKS UNLIMITED CANADA
Turkey callers of canada
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Hope he read this post and is headed to the DVP!! :lol: Keep an eye out Boo!
The best things in life are not things!!
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

MADMAX2 wrote:Hope he read this post and is headed to the DVP!! :lol: Keep an eye out Boo!

Boo better not see a bear track in the ground he just worked up, property may go on the market :lol: :lol:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
youngbuck1

Post by youngbuck1 »

sorry thee were no pics he lied to meee !!! :( sorry guys
DUCKS UNLIMITED CANADA
Turkey callers of canada
Tom

Post by Tom »

Ottawa Valley Lad wrote:
youngbuck1 wrote:I don't kn what I will do if I see it and I have my gun
If you do end up shooting it, try eating it.
I would not even move the bear from the place of harvesting if it is shot as a nuisance bear. I was once involved in trying to protect a bee farm that was being ripped apart by a bear. They do not just rip into the bee hives, but they eat everything, including the boxes that the hives are made from. And yes, an easy meal like a hive will bring them back for more.

In my case, the bee farm did contact the local MNR and they told them that they could dispatch the bear if it came back to the hive, BUT it MUST not be moved from the spot of kill, and must be buried right there. I did not ever see that bear, but another hunter got it at another of his hive locations.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]