Question about broadheads by a newbie.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Goose smasher

Question about broadheads by a newbie.

Post by Goose smasher »

Hello to all.I have just purchased myself a new Exomax and so far I really like the bow.I can't believe how well it shots! I was shooting yesterday out to fifty yards and it was dead on. However when I tried a shot with the broadheads that came with it they shot a foot high compared to my field tips. Is this a common thing to have happen? That you for any help in advance. I'm new to the whole crossbow scene.

Goose smasher
www.everythingwild1.com
Goose smasher

Re: Question about broadheads by a newbie.

Post by Goose smasher »

I forgot to mention I was shooting Excalibur bolt cutters on the fire bolts that came with the bow.

Goose smasher
www.everythingwild1.com
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Welcome Goose Smasher,

I'm new at crossbows too, but it seems to be alot like vertcal archery,some people get everything to shoot the same out of the box ,but most of us have to play around a little bit to get things just so ,but thats what makes all archery so fun! I my self have blazers on firebolts and 2213's with muzzy 125 grains and I spin check them to .005 t.i.r . They all group within a 3 1/2 bullseye at 45 yards EVER SHOT! I'm happy with that. Read some past posts and they will have alot of good set ups ,again thats what makes this sport so fun!
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!! :D :D
As a general rule fixed blade broadheads won't fly the same as field tips. The larger the cutting surface of the blade the more they will plane on you. This is where you get into all the "tuning" of the arrow game. There are some fixed blades that fly like field tips, slick tricks for one. Some here just sight in with fixed blades and then just practice with them. The bolt cutter's are a quality head...you will just have to experiment with your set up.
Or you could take the easy way out like i did and shoot a good quality mechanical!!! :mrgreen: :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
M.J.M.

Post by M.J.M. »

I'm having great luck with the slick tricks.
strum

Post by strum »

A foot high?..every time?..if thats true i would think you have a heavier field tip..much heavier..I have a exomax and firebolts my boltcutteres fly very close to my field tips.(but i never try 50 yards)
check and see if they weigh the same..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

What scope are you using ? If'en it be an Excal adjust the speed ring to bring yer arrow down at 50 yds
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
strum

Post by strum »

vixenmaster wrote:What scope are you using ? If'en it be an Excal adjust the speed ring to bring yer arrow down at 50 yds
hmmm..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

A foot high is quite a bit. Is it consistent?

The boltcutter is 150g, a fairly heavy head, but with fixed blades you run a risk of them planing the further you shoot. That and any slight movent on your part is greatly amplified. How do they hit at 10, 20, 30, 40?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I see its on at 50 wid field pts & are the arrows the same weight vanes all exact same ? Sumpin ain't right fer all BH's shots to always be foot hight at 50!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Slick tricks is the way to go...
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

i like the boltcutters , and 150 grain razor caps, for a few reasons , one is the three blade orientaion to align the vanes this has an effect especially at longer ranges the other reason i like them is the foc is then say a 125 grain slick, i shoot a 2219 with wraps and 5 inch vanes with 3 degree offset out of my exomax , the broadheads shoot within an inch of the field points at 50 yards , now you may need to adjust speed ring on your scope, but usually this wont affect it unless you shoot from different yardages , i am fooling around with the 170 grain spitfires and a few other 170 grain magnums out of 2117 and 2216s so far with pretty good results , everntually you will find the combo that suits you best dont be afraid to experiment play and have some fun!!
Goose smasher

Post by Goose smasher »

Like I said,I am totally new to the crossbow game and I'm only using what came with the bow right now. The field tips hit bang on at fifty yards shooting a three inch group with six bolts which I thought was awesome! I really like the bow but so far I've only had it out twice and I've only fired the broadheads at fifty yards so far.I think I just need to learn a little more about the bow with some more range time for now.Thanks again guys for all of your help!

Goose smasher
www.everythingwild1.com
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Try the spitfire 100gr 3 blade mechanical heads,they fly just like a field point
and leave devastating holes.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I just watched Hank Parker do a broadhead test with different heads and i was amazed at the penetration and strength of the Swhacker broadhead shot thru a steel drum and stayed together.
http://www.hankparker.com/
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks