Blood Trail

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Blood Trail

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I have seen on this forum that some guys train their dogs to follow a blood trail.. Can any breed of dog be trained to follow a blood trail? What is the best bread to use for this job? How about a rabbit hound?
Thanks,
Raymond
one shot scott

Re: Blood Trail

Post by one shot scott »

I'm using what I'm stuck with :lol: pretty sure some breeds are better than others. I read somewhere that a mini dashound was the best. That I found surprising! But I think it the dog is intelligent enough to listen to commands and responds to training well, any breed can follow a blood trail. They all have amazing sniffers.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I have a Beagle rabbit hound. She is very intelligent. She chases rabbits, although I haven't been able to take her in the woods for quite a few years. When she is let outdoors, away she goes if she is not watched. She still has the hunting urge. Could she be re-trained to follow blood trails from a deer?
Thanks,
Raymond
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Raymond wrote:Hey Folks,
I have seen on this forum that some guys train their dogs to follow a blood trail.. Can any breed of dog be trained to follow a blood trail? What is the best bread to use for this job? How about a rabbit hound?
Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond, make sure that is legal where you are, no need getting in trouble for something that can be avoided.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

It is legal to track and recover a deer here in Nova Scotia. But only to track and recover a deer. Thanks for the warning though. It is a good information for everyone to know about if you are going to track with a dog.
Thanks,
Raymond
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Pretty sure it's not legal where I am. However letting game spoil is illegal too. I'm training my dog to track in the event a buddy who is not color blind isn't able to help me out. I don't endorse others to break any laws. Check the regs before Using a tracking animal. I wish they made exceptions for the many ones who are color blind. I forget the stats, but there are quite a few of us. Even if it were legal to hire someone licensed to have a tracking animal it would be a step in the right direction. I would be happy to hire a guy like pydpiper!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Here in Ontario you have to get a license for each of your dogs to hunt deer in the north and in the south it is not allowed,but if you hunt racoons here in the south you are suppose to buy a license too!! here a license there a license everywhere a LICENSE!!! :twisted:

Just venting I have to renew my truck license and my drivers license and my dog license, but I allready renewed my hunting license!! :D
The best things in life are not things!!
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

here in wv it is illegal to track them with dogs but in new york state from which im from originally and keeprperty there , if you call the dnr they will bring trained dogs and help you recover!!!any breed of dog can do this but some are more intelligent than others seems a good way to recover meat, it thi nk here the fear is they fear you d be hunting with them i dunno
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

one shot scott wrote: I would be happy to hire a guy like pydpiper!
No need to hire, just call, I'll be there.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Any Dog that will obey you can trail a blood trail. Use a harness & leash to keep them by yer side. Give them a treat or treats as they do yer trailing. I started Gussie blood trailing deer at 4 months of age. I shot a deer & watched it fall from my tree stand. Climbed down field dressed the Doe, came to cabin hooked Gussie up & when we hit the blood trail she was really pulling me along & went straight to the deer! It was treat time & she has trailed 8 more following that 1st one. Most time if'en on a leash then they are not chasing nor hunting game there-fore not being used fer such where i live.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

That is awesome Mike. I will try that this year if I can go hunting. I don't know if my Dixie will track or not, but she is smart so I think she will. Time will tell.
Thanks,
Raymond
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Raymond wrote:I have a Beagle rabbit hound. She is very intelligent. She chases rabbits, although I haven't been able to take her in the woods for quite a few years. When she is let outdoors, away she goes if she is not watched. She still has the hunting urge. Could she be re-trained to follow blood trails from a deer?
Thanks,
Raymond
Yes she can. No licence needed for tracking, only illegal for them to chase deer in some areas, mine included. Tracking dogs stay on leachs. My bloodhound tracks slow and my beagle tracks the same trail five times faster than my bloodhound. I grind up chicken breasts in a blender with water and put it in a squirt bottle and make trails. i leave a piece of chicken at the end. Get him good then use some blood.
I am sure someone here will come with a better way to do it.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I am going to try that. Any other ways to train her for blood trails for deer. She already hunts rabbits.
Thanks,
Raymond
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Raymond wrote:I am going to try that. Any other ways to train her for blood trails for deer. She already hunts rabbits.
Thanks,
Raymond
Put the word out to all your friends if they shoot a deer, leave it, and phone me and I will come right away and put the dog on it and then I will help you drag it out. Hard to train one yourself in this country because we can only shoot one or two max a year.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Keep to the hounds for blood trailing...their sniffers are best suited for it.

The unfortunate part about turning your dog into a 'jack of all trades' is that they tend to go toward the other side of the saying, 'master of none'.

I'm a GSP owner and would never even think about training him to trail blood from deer. He'd probably be too frickin' busy looking for birds if I let him loose on a blood trail. :lol: