Blood Trail

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Re: Blood Trail

Post by Raymond »

I do not hunt Dixie anymore because I cannot travel the woods for rabbits. Too strenuous for me now. Maybe I will just keep her like she is now, just a part of the family.
Thanks,
Raymond
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Raymond wrote:I do not hunt Dixie anymore because I cannot travel the woods for rabbits. Too strenuous for me now. Maybe I will just keep her like she is now, just a part of the family.
Thanks,
Raymond
Hounds need to work. They love it. If not going to hunt rabbits let her track. She will love it and will be a much happier house dog with a job. Lots of praise when she gets to the end of the trail. You and dog will get much more bonded as well. Get a collar or backpacks for dog so she knows when packs are on it is working time. I load my bloodhounds backpacks with 6 water bottles, 3 on each side mostly just to tire him out. All hounds just want to please. But one must remember when nose turns on, ears shut off. Good luck and have fun. :) :)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/KYJEN-Outward-Hound- ... 6fc36791f5

As stated earlier with chicken breasts, alot of people do the same with hotdogs. it is alot cheaper to train.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

My last hound was a redbone city folk got him and could not handle him he was high energy like most hounds he would get on fox,and rabbit when I first got him.
I took him north to run with my buddies blue tick for deer and he was not sure what was going on the first day but on the second he got on moose with the other dog too bad we were up deer hunting :lol:
After one of the hunters shot a doe we dragged one of her legs around to get the dogs familiar with that scent, and the next day my red bone put a huge ten point past one of the hunters on his runway.
The best things in life are not things!!
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

DirtyGun wrote:Keep to the hounds for blood trailing...their sniffers are best suited for it.

The unfortunate part about turning your dog into a 'jack of all trades' is that they tend to go toward the other side of the saying, 'master of none'.

I'm a GSP owner and would never even think about training him to trail blood from deer. He'd probably be too frickin' busy looking for birds if I let him loose on a blood trail. :lol:
just an added note here, hounds will work for blood trailing but another breed that is really good at it and easy to train is a lab retriever and the land work does not interfere with their water work. i have seen and been a part of training several excellent blood trailing labs.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Thanks for all your tips folks. I will try that this fall, it looks like I will be physically able to go deer hunting.
Thanks,
Raymond