Accuracy MY Phoenix Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TechTed

Accuracy MY Phoenix Questions

Post by TechTed »

I had an Axiom that I bought last year. That crossbow was excellent! I enjoyed shooting it and took both a coyote and a large doe during bow season here in NC. Unfortunately, just before turkey season in April we had a burglary and among the handful of my things that were stolen (mostly my wife's jewelry) was my Axiom.

I have replaced the Axiom with a Phoenix since I was partial to the aluminum deck. The Axiom was dead on with NO adjustment out of the box. It was putting arrows through the same spot in the target repeatedly at 20 and 30 yards.

The problem is that the Phoenix isn't that good so far. I have the Vari-zone scope. While I am hitting 2" inch groups (certainly kill shots for a deer) I am not getting the same level of accuracy as with the Axiom.

The question is - is it me? Like my woodworking tools, is the crossbow capable of better than I am? OR are there suggestions for better accuracy?

I am shooting Firebolt arrows with 125 gr field points and 125 gr fixed blade broadheads on a rest. Should I be getting better accuracy than 2" groups at 30 yards?

I appreciate any feedback. This is my second year of crossbow hunting after nearly 35 years of bow/muzzleloader/gun hunting.
Normous

Re: Accuracy MY Phoenix Questions

Post by Normous »

Welcome, Sorry to hear of your unfortunate theft.
First check to see if all your screws are tight, especially the four holding the scope mount on.
Second, look in the riser cutout or valley. Excalibur uses a thin plastic protective shim between the limbs and riser. If these plastic shims extend into the riser valley then fletch contact might alter your groups. Cut off any excess plastic with a razor blade.
2" groups at 30 yards with fixed blades is still very good the way I see it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!!!! :D :D
Are you shooting the two inch groups with the field tips?
Are the broadheads shooting same poi as field tips?
Have you checked all the screws for tightness?
Are you using the rope cocking aid?
Sorry for all the questions...trying to help!!! :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Boo

Post by Boo »

Have you changed arrows or fletchings?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

What fixed BH are you shooting ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

never shoy a phoenix but know my axiom was same as yous , dead onr ight out of box as was my exomax . check screws string any vaiations in arrows as stated , if not try different bolts and see what it likes dont know if power stroke is same in phoenix and axiom good luck tracking it down
SScott

Post by SScott »

I would think 2 inch groups at thirty yards would be plenty good, but perhaps I have low standards? Isn't that about the size of your average red delicious apple?

But I do own a pheonix. If my form is good, then I'm shooting golf ball sized groups at twenty yards off hand; At thirty yards though, my groups are not not that good. I'm sure, however, that if I could keep my form, it would be possible to do, so in my case, i'm sure it's me and not the bow.

Is the Axiom lighter than the phoenix, balance differently?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

Steve
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I thinks the folks before me have got you covered so I'll just say sorry to hear you were ripped off and welcome to the forum!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Prior to the new Axioms being made with "plastic" rails, the only difference between the older Axiom and Phoenix was cosmetic, i.e different camo pattern. That being said, with the different components and complexity of the manufacturing process not even Excaliburs of the same model are created equal. Some might have stronger limbs, others smoother or crisper triggers, those are just two factors that can affect the degree of accuracy.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
TechTed

Post by TechTed »

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate the feedback and expect to get the Phoenix dialed in with your help.

To answer some of the questions, I am using a cocking aid. The broadheads are muzzy 125 gr. I haven't checked the screws yet but will the next chance I get. The scope is installed correctly and the screws are tight. I will look for the plastic shims to see if they need to be trimmed.

Maybe with some tinkering I can get the groups tighter. Again, I appreciate your ideas.
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Being also new at this, my groups tightened up big time by numbering my arrows, some shoot Alot better than others, when I sight in I use the same arrow over and over again! I know it's more walking but knocks out any variables in arrows! :D
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

TechTed wrote:Thank you for the replies. I appreciate the feedback and expect to get the Phoenix dialed in with your help.

To answer some of the questions, I am using a cocking aid. The broadheads are muzzy 125 gr. I haven't checked the screws yet but will the next chance I get. The scope is installed correctly and the screws are tight. I will look for the plastic shims to see if they need to be trimmed.

Maybe with some tinkering I can get the groups tighter. Again, I appreciate your ideas.
I have seen many muzzy & thunderheads plane off while using CB's!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

Spintest your arrows if you haven't done so already. Look for a wobble at
the junction of the insert and the broadhead. Some can do this in the palm of their hand and feel the vibration; others spin on a table top and observe,
but best of all is a spin tester like the one Pineridge makes.
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

I own a phoenix, 2 of them; the crossbow is MUCH better than the man(me) operating it; I suggest that you drop down (just a test) to 100 grain field points and broadheads and make sure of your brace height; also make sure your rail is completely clean and also try waxing only your serving to start with; give a SMALL squirt of wd-40 to your trigger to make sure there is no particles or shavings of metal in trigger housing; doble check your brace height again to make sure your string is falling between the brace height marks located at the end of the barrel; alot of work but well worth it all;

I can shoot at 50 yards with a vari-zone scope, and keep all the bolts in a 1 1/2 to 2 inch circle,freehand and if shoot from a bench rest I can ruin alot of arrows if desired; just make sure of all mentioned above and make sure that that you don't get upset; the phoenix is a great model as are ALL models of excalibur; BTW, I shoot feathers instead of vanes with a right helical twist on the feathers and a brass insert for extra weight which allows me to shoot a 100 grain BH with EXCELLANT accuracy; my bolts are the goldtip laser 2; the brass inserts with 100 grain field points/BH made all the difference in the world for me; good luck and keep us posted on your progress;
TechTed

Post by TechTed »

Thanks for the additional information, xbowholic!

To everyone else, thanks as well. The suggestions have helped me put my Phoenix in excellent tune!

Have been shooting arrows that I used last summer with the old Axiom. Apparently the vanes were in worse shape than I thought. I broke down and used a couple of new arrows and am now in danger of ruining some arrows if I don't remove the first shot before taking a second shot!

It took a couple of evenings of tuning and now I am "catching up" to my crossbow.