Fixed Blade vs Mechanical

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hallaketrout

Post by Hallaketrout »

I have seen a lot of disscusion on the fixed blade or mechanical broadhead.
It seems a lot of you like the mechanical for it's cut diameter, ...for deer.
Reading between the lines here, am I to assume that Fixed Blade are the way to go for moose or bears?
Any of the mechanicals I have seen do not look strong enough to tackle a moose rib.
Don't have a crossbow yet...but soon.
You are only Young Once but have the rest of your life to be Immature!

Hunting
Kayak Fishing
Fly Fishing
Trap Shooting
30-06
And now Exocet 200/Lumi-zone
Riflemanz

Re: Fixed Blade vs Mechanical

Post by Riflemanz »

Watch this broadhead test and then tell me it won't go thru a rib.Check out the swhacker head going thru a steel drum.
www.hankparker.com
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Thanks for the video rifle. Your pushing ever so closer to a mechanical. :)
Dash

Post by Dash »

I've only used fixed blades before. But hat was just due to price and lack of broadhead weight options over here.
But I like the idea of a very large cutting head and have been looking at getting the FOC 170's to try out. I'd prefer to drop the animal much quicker if possible than follow trails.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

It's just a matter of preference, whether one uses fixed or mechanicals. However don't think for a second that the smaller 4 bladed fixed broadhead don't give as large a cut as the larger 2 bladed mechanicals. In my opinion there's very little difference, when one considers that 4 smaller cuts ultimately can equal or exceed 2 slighter larger cuts. Anyone who's seen the damage done by a Slick Trick can attest to that. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

ComfyBear wrote:It's just a matter of preference, whether one uses fixed or mechanicals. However don't think for a second that the smaller 4 bladed fixed broadhead don't give as large a cut as the larger 2 bladed mechanicals. In my opinion there's very little difference, when one considers that 4 smaller cuts ultimately can equal or exceed 2 slighter larger cuts. Anyone who's seen the damage done by a Slick Trick can attest to that. :wink:

Sorry Comfy, but, I slightly disagree. It's my experience that the larger amount of "cutting surface" is definitely not a preference choice, but, instead a performance choice. I do like the Slick Tricks because their four blades and the total cutting surface is good . . .but, does not equal the three bladed mechanicals. I strongly suggest using the most CUTTING SURFACE as possible and still have sufficient penetration for the animal you are hunting and the bow you are shooting . . .even if you prefer a fixed blade. Arrow weight vs arrow speed . . .need the right combination for the broadhead to work properly on any given animal.

Mechanical blades are largely designed to bend around bone and keep cutting flesh. However, I have had no trouble with the mechanical blades cutting through the rib cage of a deer. I have not had the pleasure of testing them on a moose or a bear, yet.

There are "pros" and "cons" for shooting either fixed cut or mechanical broadheads. It depends on your personal preferences as which fits you best. For me the deer dropping within sight is the only "Pro" I needed to stick with the mechanicals. After the deer I gut shot dropped within 25 yards . . .I was sold. I've had a couple of nice double lung shots drop deer to their knees and I watched them expire.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Scott you might disagree, and that's OK. :wink:

In my opinion and experience, when it comes to mechanical or fixed, which is better can be a moot point. There are other factors which are more important, more on that later.

Personally, I've mainly used fixed blades, I've only shot and taken two deer with mechanicals, one with a Trophy Ridge Undertaker and the other with a NAP Spitfire. With all my other deer, I've used either Slick Tricks or Montec G5s.

None of the deer I've shot have gone more than 35 yds., quite a few dropping within sight, less than 20 yards from point of impact. I guess, like you, I must be a "good shot", or just lucky. :wink:

To get back to what's important, most broadheads sold today will perform and do the job. However, if the shooter behind them doesn't do his/her job, the broadhead used is irrelevent.

So the bottom line is, use the broadhead that works best with your bow, but more important, become proficient enough so that "in the heat of the moment" you're able to place that broadhead where it needs to be.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I have taken deer and hogs with both fixed and mechanical heads...and i would agree that the most important criteria is shot placement. Quality heads of either design will do their job if you put them in the kill zone.
Having said that it has been my experience that the mech heads give me a far better blood trail (larger cutting surface) the flip side is i have to watch my extreme angle shot's due to deflection. That is why i will be trying grim reaper's this year...the design is supposed to help with this, that remain's to be seen.
I have no experience with moose or bear...but i know what a spitfire will do to a 200lb boar hawg!!!!! :mrgreen: :D :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Comfy . . .I had a couple of long tracking jobs on double lung shots when I was in the "testing" stage on broadheads. Both recovered, but, stinking long tracking jobs. The blood trail was OK. One broadhead was a Wasp Boss and the other was a NAP Scorpion. The common denominator was the relatively small amount of cutting surface.

That's why I started collecting the broadhead data. All the data suggests the same thing . . .the more cutting surface, the shorter the tracking jobs.

Sure, an experienced hunter can drop an animal with just about any broadhead on the market. However, I like putting the odds in my favor. Chances are folks will not to "his/her job" perfectly every time. When human error comes into play, and it will, I want every advantage possible.

The broadhead data also suggests that it's easier for a hunter to do their job with the mechanicals . . .for whatever reason. Tracking jobs are shorter and there are fewer lost deer reported using large cut mechanicals.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Fixed or Mech. its based on a persons opinion of believing in yer BH. I have used both & in all my yrs only 2 heads would i never touch again. 1 punchcutters didn't open & i spend a coupld hrs trailing a deer down home in the swamps along Lake Mary. 2 2 blade meat seeker used on any hard angled shot! Another tracking & blood drops & running shot to kill. Big cut hole or fair sized put it through the lungs & its all over but the dressing of yer game! I like 3 blade Spitfire as my Mech. & i have a half dz or more grear fixed bladed BH's that are great
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Tom

Post by Tom »

The reason I went to the mechanical was for a larger cutting dia without having the wind planing effect that many larger cutting dia fixed blades give. The problem I had with the large fixed blades was in windy conditions, they would not fly consistently for me where the mechanicals could be used in all conditions (that is a good quality mechanical, maintained in good working order).

As for the toughness of a mechanical, I have witnessed what happens to a NAP Spit Fire 125 when it hits the spine of a deer. It was a direct, dead on hit and the head embedded fully into the spine. The only damaged to the head was the blades were bent (not broken).

A quality head, mechanical or fixed will be OK for Moose, intact I use the spitfire for moose (just not successful yet but that is not the broad-head's fault :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry:
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

im with sumner on the fixed vs mechanical, thee is no substitute for shot placement , i too have been on some long tracking jobs with double lunged deer , , i like slick tricks they are tough as nails we used to shoot them thru countertops , wouldnt harm them, but wish cutting diameter was bigger, i have used the spitfire 170s and really really like them, i have no doubt with my 225lb exomax they will punch right thru moose ribs , they are reliable and have killed a few deer with them and a 400lb black bear , it comes down to choice and type of bolt setup you shoot what your bow likes ,
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I have argued :wink: with sumner in posts before on mechanical versus fixed. I do like fixed for their reliability and more simple design. The Montec G5 has been my broadhead of choice for quite a while for its one piece design and strength! I did finally try a mechanical though and was quite impressed with it too. I used the Rage 2 blade 2 inch cut and liked it alot. I went from the advice from forum members here that have had alot of success with this blade. I'll post a pic of a spike I shot last year with this head and the wound is quite impressive and a complete pass through. The pic is of the entrance hole too :shock: . But as good of a shot placement this was the deer still managed to run nearly 100 yards before piling up. Different deer definitely react different even when a perfect shot. Find what works best for you and make your best shot possible or not at all.
Why ride when you can walk!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Like i said its whatever BH you have good results with fixed or mech. Here is a montec G5 100 gr whats not to like about the entrance hole or blood trail unless its watching her fall in site, so i didn't have to trail. :lol:

Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I have been using muzzy 3 blade with my vertical bow .I was going to use them with my x-cal ,but my first hunt with it will be in windy Wyo. So I'm thinking of going with Rage 2 for crossbows ,I heard the expanding heads catch less wind.I still want my shots under 30 yards, but past hunts 40 yards were the norm. That last 10 yards are tough. If anyone thinks I'm wasting my money please let me know, thanks.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330