O/T Trip to Oro-Medonte Canada

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Horizontal Hunter

O/T Trip to Oro-Medonte Canada

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

This summer my wife and I will be taking a trip up north to Canada and we will be staying at a resort in Oro-Medonte for a week. I know that there are many forum members here for the great white north and I would appreciate any suggestions you might have in regards to some of must see places and activities in the area.

Thanks,

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Stash

Re: O/T Trip to Oro-Medonte Canada

Post by Stash »

Weber's Burgers is a must-do esperience. ( :roll: for people who know it :lol: )

Elwood Epps outdoors store is worth a look. Plenty of good golf and of course water activities. Not the greatest fishing, as it's not really a remote area.

http://www.oro-medonte.ca/

Maybe you can get a boat over to Boo's place on Georgina Island? What sort of things do you like to do?
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I think there might be some good places for mounting biking... Hardwood Hills. I'm a bit out of the loop on the biking scene these days, but the area is pretty.

What brings you to that area? A resort?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Horizontal Hunter

VixChix wrote:I think there might be some good places for mounting biking... Hardwood Hills. I'm a bit out of the loop on the biking scene these days, but the area is pretty.

What brings you to that area? A resort?
We will be staying at a resort there and my wife always wanted to got to Coopers town, see Niagara, and spend some time in Canada as she is 100% French Canadian; so it all got rolled into one for this trip.

We like nature (she doesn't hunt), boating, bike riding, theater, and good food. Definitely looking forward to trying Webers burgers and the Elwood Epps outdoor store.

How are the ticks up there?

Thanks,

Bob
Stash

Post by Stash »

Not much in the news about ticks at all. What month are you planning? Blackflies are about done, but the mosquitos will be around til the fall.

If you're driving via Niagara Falls, maybe see if you can get yourself an invite to the Excalibur factory - less than an hour out of your way.

Stuff to do in Barrie and Orillia (the largest towns in the area.
http://www.barrie.ca/
http://www.orillia.ca/
ch312

Post by ch312 »

niagara:

wine tour, clifton hill, sundowner

kitchener:

excalibur factory, st jacobs market

lake simcoe:

people come from all over north america to fish lady simcoe for perch, bass, whities, and lakers. whoever said the fishing is no good must have extremely bad luck...

you might as well hit up canadas wonderland while you're up this way. ;)
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

Take a day trip to the Penetang/Midland area. They have boat cruises on Georgian Bay, Martyrs Shrine and Ste Marie among the Hurons just to name a few things.
Penetanguishine or Penetang for short is a very much a French Canadian area in the middle of Anglo Ontario. My dad was born in the area. Stop by Henry's Doral Marine Resort for a great seafood lunch.

Enjoy your visit
Stash

Post by Stash »

ch312: I didn't say the fishing was "no good", I said it "wasn't the greatest". That would be compared to wilderness areas farther north where you're hauling something in on every cast. Simcoe can be good fishing, but you have to know where to go and unless you're hiring a guide or a taking a charter, might be "not the greatest" for someone casually tossing a line.

Horizontal: If you're coming through Niagara Falls, you'll need to travel the 403/401/400 series highways through Toronto and these are some of the most congested roads in the world. Avoid morning and evening M-F rush hours at all costs, and above all, don't put yourself in a position to have to take the 400 north on a Friday afternoon. You'll be fighting for 3 lanes with 100,000 cottage-goers. :lol:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

OldSkool wrote:Take a day trip to the Penetang/Midland area. They have boat cruises on Georgian Bay, Martyrs Shrine and Ste Marie among the Hurons just to name a few things.
Penetanguishine or Penetang for short is a very much a French Canadian area in the middle of Anglo Ontario. My dad was born in the area. Stop by Henry's Doral Marine Resort for a great seafood lunch.

Enjoy your visit
x2 on the Midland or Penetanguishene cruises! The Midland one is longer, I think, and takes you into some of the typical Georgian Bay rocky island landscape. BEAUTIFUL. They also offer sunset & dinner cruises.

OldSkool is right about St. Marie among the Hurons too! It's an excellent history experience! Very well presented rebuilt fort with museum.

Might want to take a drive up to Parry Sound and take a cruise there too - gorgeous. You're also just a few hours from Algonquin park - could make it a day trip up, through and back.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Horizontal Hunter

Stash,

Thanks for the links. We will be traveling in a few weeks and I am glad to see that the ticks aren't a big issue. They are "thicker than thieves down" here. Thanks for the traffic info. That is the way we will be coming and I figured that there would be a fair amount of traffic through there and I will time it accordingly.

CH312,

I would love to see the Excal factory. Hopefully we can get it in. A fishing trip on Lake Simcoe would be great as we both like to fish. I assume that visitors can purchase a short term license. If it is a guided trip do the fishermen/women fall under the guides license or do they have to purchase a license.

OldSkool,

Those sound like great trips. We will have to look those up as well.

VixChix,

The dinner cruise you and Oldskool suggested are just the ticket as it is something we both enjoy. The rebuilt fort at St. Marie sounds like a great trip as well. I am fascinated by the history of that time period.

Thank you all for the responses. Your input will make the trip that much better.

Thanks again,

Bob