LImited entry hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bcmuledeer

LImited entry hunting

Post by bcmuledeer »

Yahoo! After ten dry years my wife and son both scored the limited entry hunt for bull moose! From sept 25 to oct 19, prime rut season! Now if I can convince my wife or son to use the vortex to bag one! :shock:
I learned a very valuable lesson ten years ago while hunting these huge deer, in the rut I was calling, challenging a big bull that had seven cows in his harem! I got his attention to good, he charged me from 60 feet, (this was the 1st time i seen him, at full charge). I raised my gun, made dumb mistake leaving scope on 9 power, all I seen was brown! :shock: the 1st shot hit him in the right antler knocking him down at 25feet from me! He jumped back up, charged again, I think the good Lord looked after me, I don't remember even loading another shell but shot him through the head at 10feet! :shock:
Man did my dad give it to me! Bull moose in rut are not to be played around with, I now call when I can a least see 100 feet in all dirrections!
I have his rack mounted in my house to remind me of how close this was to a bad ending!
Any other good stories out there, like Pyd with his yote! :lol:
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
Raymond

Re: LImited entry hunting

Post by Raymond »

That was quite close. Too close for comfort. And good luck to the wife and son. That will fill the freezers, :lol: :lol: .
Raymond
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Wow! That story read like something out of my Elmer Keith book "Hell, I Was There." About the only good thing about hunting here in Illinois is there's nothing out there that can kill you. It would be a whole different ball game hunting up where you are. Be safe! Gary
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Good story. Would love to come to Canada for moose. Never seen a live moose before. Only in pictures. Can you party hunt for moose?
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats on yer folks getting selected for the draw!
Hopefully they won't need fresh shorts after their hunt!! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Xbowkiller wrote:Good story. Would love to come to Canada for moose. Never seen a live moose before. Only in pictures. Can you party hunt for moose?
You sure can, if you enter with three guys you can shoot 2 moose, any one of the three can make the kill and you don't even have to be together at the time.
We have 6 days of regular open bull season. It's after the rut so you want a young one! Many many many hunters out there, mostly from Vancouver area. Not real keen of hunting at that time, lots of sound shooters out there!
My moose dressed out at 680 lbs, primebull!
Yes sir mr Krug, I learned a big lesson there, too panicked to even think of any thing else,
Another story, one of our clients a few years ago was calling, it was getting dark so he turned around to leave, behind him was a grizzly bear! :shock: he is now a road hunter only! :lol:
Bill
novacam

Post by novacam »

There is one you'll never forget! Congrats on the draw too. I put in for the Cape Breton moose hunt but no luck this year, I will have to keep trying. By the sounds of your luck I might be putting in a few years.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on the draw!!! :D
Hope y'all bag a big one!!! :wink:
Charged at 60ft...shot at 10ft...dressed at 680lbs!!! :shock:
And y'all call us stupid in the south!!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though if you bow hunt these critter's are you allowed to have someone along with a gun for back up? Or can you carry a BIG sidearm and plenty of tp? :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congrats and best of luck with the harvest.
I bet you feel pretty small with a 700 , 800 ,900 lb bull bearing down on you. :shock
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

i gotta good one for ya....

one afternoon i was sit'n on my favorite live oak limb above and south of the creek where tha hawgs normally cross to feed after dark.
sat there for several hours waiting. i knew they would come before dark.
shur-nuff they arrived. so i waited for my favorite shot.
i must have been part of that live oak limb, cus i had something tapping on
my camo hat and mask. at first i thought it wasa bird or squirrel so did'nt pay much attention to it cus i was focused on smoked hams and strap bacon :wink:
well, i guess i was too much involved... cus all of a sudden i hada 25 lb bobby
in my lap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she was young and not too worried about much.
she sniffed and rubbed, looked me over real good and jumped to the next limb
under me.

she was healthy and did not appear to have young just yet.
it wasa great experiance.. hell yeah i was scared !!! she could have cut me ike a razor blade ifin she wanted. never seen her again :cry:
i hope she survived the swamp. i think she will be all right cus i know there are lots of them out here but you never see them. they are very smart cats !!!
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

:lol: :lol: if you hunt in bow season only, you are not allowed to shoot it with anything else! I guess life could get very interesting then, in this leh hunt you can shoot with any legal firearm. I don't know if I would hunt these big boys in the rut with a bow. When not in the rut they are not as nearly dangerous, more like gentle giants.
My cousin has shot a few with vertical bow but always hunts in gun season and his partner packs a rifle for safety.
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Gendoc, awesome story, now that sounds like you have excellent camo and can sit still a long time! Very cool man. :D
strum

Post by strum »

That moose would have slipped and fell if i had been there cuz i would have craped all over the place :lol: :lol:
glad you got him..that could have been a BAAAAAD story.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

congrats i hope you guys have a hunt of a lifetime! with no close calls!!
Bones

Post by Bones »

Good story Bill and congrats on the tag's , a simular thing happened in our hunting group a couple years back, My buddy shot a big bull and didn't realize he was just fighting with another a few minutes earlier, The other bull came trotting at him and would not stop even though he was yelling and clapping trying to snap him out of his rage, he has no idea when the bull finally turned and took off, he was running. Got his with an equinox at 12 yd's ......... We only hunt the pre rut or front end of the rut ( or try to )..... weather!! I live for moose hunting!
Bones