Arrow question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CAC

Arrow question

Post by CAC »

Hello,

I am looking at adding a crossbow to my hunting toy collection. I am not sure on what model of Excalibur I want at this time. One thing I'd like to do is possibly utilize some of my other arrows that I have for my various other bows that I no longer use for them. I have two sets of arrows I could cut down. I have some easton 2419s and some CE 4560 terminators. I have 50 and 100 grain inserts I can add to the 4560s which should bring the weight up to a decent level. For the 2419s I don't see any nock options and was thinking I could just use an insert as the nock?? My only concern with the 2419s is FOC and possible poor flight characteristics.

Any thoughts on these options?

Thanks,

Chris
FLA-XBOW

Re: Arrow question

Post by FLA-XBOW »

I think that an arrow is alot thinner than a bolt and wouldn't sit in the groove properly, but I've also never thought about it.
2011 Vortex w/ varizone
fff string
Rage 2 125 grain broadheads
firebolts w/ 3'' vanes
Nikon Archers Choice rangefinder
BLOCK fusion targets
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

i dont think it would sit right either , if they dont make a nock fo it proabably a reason
Boo

Post by Boo »

The 24 series shafts will not contact the string. It is too fat to go between the latch fingers.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
CAC

Post by CAC »

Arrow diameter is not an issue. 2419 is 24/64 of an inch opposed to the common 2219 that is 22/64 of an inch and is of higher spine. The carbon arrows are all roughly the same whether for a vert or horizontal bow, unless you use the new HIT type arrows. I assume the reason that there is no nock for the 2419 is that Easton has discontinued them as well the largest common crossbow arrow seems to be 2219.
CAC

Post by CAC »

Thanks Boo,

I guess that rules out the 2419s :(

So any concerns on using the 4560 terminators?
CAC

Post by CAC »

I did a bit of looking and I see that the crossbow arrows look almost the same as the regular arrows, but are about .04" bigger. :oops:

So I guess I should ask what is the range in shaft diameter that I can use and what is the minimum spine?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have used alum. in the following sizes 2114-2117-2213-2216-2219 anything along that area shoud do well. I actually prefer the 2216 in alum.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
CAC

Post by CAC »

Well I did it. I picked up a Exocet with the lite stuff kit. Looked at the Axiom, nice rig, but the scope was the worst I have ever seen. Checked two to make sure the one wasn't a dud, but both were sub par. Kinda reminds me of my vision after a couple bottles of merlot. :P

Anyhow the arrows.. I now have the chance to check the clearance of the 2419s ... they fit nicely between the latch fingers. I think I will just get another set of inserts and use them as nocks? seems to be sort of what is on the firebolts? Has anyone tried this?

I can definitely see that the CE terminators a tad too small.

Am I just being too cheap? :oops: Is there something I am missing? I just don't use the 2419s for anything else at the moment and cant see it in the future.

Cheers,

Chris
Stash

Post by Stash »

I also didn't think the 2419s would fit, as Boo indicated. But if they do, you could likely use them. However, I don't think I would risk using point inserts as nocks - in that size they they taper in a bit to a thinner point diameter (11/32) and it's possible your string might duck under the shaft upon release.

Your "standard" arrows (Terminators) are definitely too thin - they will drop low into the arrow track and the string will likely bounce over the end of the arrow.

Most crossbows shoot a 22/64 diameter arrow and you can get away with a 21/64 if necessary, so the aluminum arrows vixenmaster listed will work. DO NOT GO UNDER 21/64" DIAMETER!

You can also use "fat shafts" in carbon, but check the shaft weight - they will be on the light side. Gold Tip Series 22 will definitely work, but I'm not sure about the various models of similar sizes, such as the Easton Fatboy or Carbon Express CXL, as they are a bit closer to 23/64 than 22/64 and might not fit under the latch. But then again, if the 2419s fit, then these will, too.
Last edited by Stash on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Eventually, you will want all your arrows to match . . .exactly. Seems like a lot of trouble to save a few bucks. You would be better served to buy the arrow shafts you need and sell the ones you have.

The seating of the arrow to the nock is probably one of the most overlooked and most important aspects to shooting the crossbow. You do not want to chance a partial dry-fire by using a make shift arrow.

However, experimentation runs wild here on the forum and it's a ton of fun. Some good results and some not so good.

Good luck and congrats on your purchase.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen