New trigger system

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Newtrigger

New trigger system

Post by Newtrigger »

Hello everyone,
Together with a friend I have developed a new trigger system that makes it possible to have an adjustable trigger pull down to half a pound and have the same feel like a match rifle. The trigger effort is independent of the draw weight and has been tested to 400 lbs. The trigger system is robust and withstands the same environmental conditions as currently employed trigger systems. The system can be easily implemented in any crossbow that uses a pivoting latch release principle like Excalibur. In fact the size of the trigger group is so small that in our current Excalibur based technology demonstrators we reuse the trigger housing, the latch and the safety with room to spare.

The reason why I am presenting the technology here is to get feedback from the crossbow community before I invest more time and money into the project.

The first question is the obvious one. Is there a need for this trigger? If a aftermarket product would be available for around 200$ would you buy one?

maybe I should add that the price I am suggesting is based on manufacturing a signature series of 50 PCS. Based on the comments received maybe it's not viable. I am open to suggestions on how to get this technology into the hands of shooters. I have demonstrated the system to few crossbow shooter and everyone is just blown away with the feel and performance of the system

I am happy to answer any questions except details on the design and working principle.

Thanks,
Mats
Last edited by Newtrigger on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackjack

Re: New trigger system

Post by blackjack »

WILL IT LOOK LIKE THE EXCALIBUR TRIGGER & BE A PERFECT FIT OR IS IT A TOTALEY DIFFRENT DESIGN & ALSO THE EXCALIBUR TRIGGER UNIT IS BULLET PROOF WHAT ABOUT YOURS ? I ALSO AGREE WITH SUMMER YOU'LL BE HARD PRESSED TO SELL IT AT $200
Last edited by blackjack on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I believe you would have a hard time finding buyers at that price. Take a $400-$600 bow and add $200 for a trigger?

Different story for a $1500 rifle, another $200 isn't much and it greatly helps the accuracy at a much longer range.

The triggers on the Excaliburs are pretty darn good, especially with a little polishing. The accuracy on these bows is already excellent. The down range accuracy isn't going to be improved much with an adjustable trigger.

Might find a niche market with the target shooters.

I hate to be the one to say this, but, it would be a hard sell to the average hunter. The price would need to be closer to $75 and even then . . .I'm not so sure.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Bones

Post by Bones »

I agree, well said Sumner. I don't see the need to change mine out.
Bones
Newtrigger

Post by Newtrigger »

Interesting take. Just so you know a replacement OEM Excalibur trigger is 250$. Also the current cost estimate is base on very low volumes say for a signature series of 100 pcs. The price would come down once the volume is higher. I don't know if 75$ is possible although.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

A PHOTO OF IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE MATE. CAN YOU POST ONE
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

$200 :shock: Is that a typo? If not, I feel the cost at that price point
is excessive for the benefits that could be derived.

I personally find the stock Excalibur trigger adequate as currently manufactured. Can it be improved, of course. However, if anyone were interested in trigger improvements, there are aftermarket trigger "smoothing" services available for a fraction of the price of your trigger.

So, unless you can find a way to substanially lower the sale price of your trigger, I would think you'd find a very limited interest in you trigger.

Just my opinion.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

This is a post better suited to the trading section. If at all.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
TPM

Post by TPM »

I can understand a trigger like this on a rifle but I don't think it will be a big seller on the crossbow market. Typically the sub 1 pound triggers are found on competative rifles shot off a rest in an attempt to achieve the elusive "one hole group". Not scenario you really run into with crossbows. Most competative crossbow target shooting is off-hand and your score ring is typically, 3D anyway, at least 1" in diameter. No trouble acheiving this kind of accuracy with a bit of fine tuning to the factory trigger. There will always be those who will do anything and pay anything to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of their equipment but I think that market is very very small.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TechTed

Post by TechTed »

I couldn't justify $200 to enhance an already functioning trigger on an already highly accurate crossbow. Even at $75, I am not sure there is enough gain in accuracy or usefulness in adding an adjustable trigger compared to the trouble of installing said trigger. I am for keeping things simple when simple is sufficiently accurate to ruin arrows on repeated shots from a bench rest (which BTW my Phoenix is now capable of doing).
Newtrigger

Post by Newtrigger »

blackjack wrote:A PHOTO OF IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE MATE. CAN YOU POST ONE
As I said it's identical to an OEM trigger only the internals are different. I can't somehow upload a picture the forum won't allow it. I will try to get a youtube video up that shows the trigger being subjected to a 400lb test load in a day or so.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Newtrigger wrote:
As I said it's identical to an OEM trigger only the internals are different. I can't somehow upload a picture the forum won't allow it. I will try to get a youtube video up that shows the trigger being subjected to a 400lb test load in a day or so.
thanks, now can explain how the 400lb test was done
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

mate l'm in australia. but whats an oem trigger?
Newtrigger

Post by Newtrigger »

Oh sorry mate! its the same as the original factory installed trigger
Newtrigger

Post by Newtrigger »

blackjack wrote:
Newtrigger wrote:
thanks, now can explain how the 400lb test was done
I built a test rig where I could measure the force applied onto the latch in exactly the same way that it is on a crossbow. I will post a video link shortly