bolts vs arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

bolts vs arrows

Post by wabi »

Been a forum member for years, but post less these days for various reasons. One reason is that it's often hard to detect the author's true meaning of a statement from printed words alone. Is it humor or sarcasm? Constructive criticism, or just malicious criticism?

I mean this as constructive criticism!

One thing brought to my attention early in my crossbow shooting/hunting days was that the projectiles we use should be called ARROWS! The anti-crossbow fanatics like to point out any difference in tools and methods, and the fact they shoot arrows and we shoot BOLTS is often mentioned. "They [crossbows] aren't archery because they shoot BOLTS - not real ARROWS!" is frequently an argument.
I know I'm not telling experienced crossbow hunters anything new about our methods, but the fine points can be argued forever. As far as my personal experience I've formed the opinion the modern crossbows we use today are just as much archery as lauching arrows with any other form of bow! A string transfers energy stored in the limbs to the arrow, and the arrow makes it archery!

Google "crossbow bolt" and read "wikipedia's" definition. :wink:
I agree!
they have a picture of a CROSSBOW BOLT

and they define CROSSBOW PROJECTILE
The arrow-like projectiles of a crossbow are called bolts. These are much shorter than arrows, but can be several times heavier. There is an optimum weight for bolts to achieve maximum kinetic energy, which varies depending on the strength and characteristics of the crossbow, but most could pass through common chain mail. In ancient times the bolts of a strong crossbow were usually several times heavier than arrows. Modern bolts are stamped with a proof mark to ensure their consistent weight. Bolts do not have fletching, commonly seen on arrows.[4] Crossbow bolts can be fitted with a variety of heads, some with sickle-shaped heads to cut rope or rigging; but the most common today is a four-sided point called a quarrel. A highly specialized type of bolt is employed to collect blubber biopsy samples used in biology research.

Most modern crossbows are however designed to shoot arrows instead of bolts.[4] Crossbow arrows are of similar construction as ordinary bow arrows,[5] just shorter in length because of reduced power stroke.

Crossbows can also be adapted to shoot lead bullets or stones, in which case they are called stone-bows. Primarily used for hunting wildfowl, these usually have a double string with a pouch between the strings to hold the projectile.
Note that BOLTS do NOT have fletching, and MODERN CROSSBOWS shoot ARROWS! :wink:

Since we (or most of us who hunt with them and come here to share our thoughts) use Excaliburs and shoot arrows through deer and other game instead of defending our castles with ancient crossbows shooting bolts through the chain mail armor on the attackers, let's call them arrows and see if we can get the rest of the world to follow our lead. :lol:
wabi
Limbs and Sticks

Re: bolts vs arrows

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Old news Wabi, :mrgreen: I call mine sticks, get the folks that sell them to change what they call them, i really don't care what folks call um, i know what they are talking about and don't hold it against them no matter what they're called, JMHO

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Good article wabi. I have done Internet searches for the term "bolt" and that picture is the only one that pops up that demonstrate the look of a crossbow bolt. Makes me think bolts are not common at all.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

an arrow is made up of shaft, nock,fletch,and point.no mater how long or short.and they all kill the same way.no matter how you sling it.
strum

Post by strum »

Great tutorial Wabi :D and im glad to see you post..hope you post much more,,
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

What's a dart? :lol: :lol: :lol: I always thought those guys were throwing arrows. 8)

I agree 100% wabi
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am with y'all & Miss Vixen shoots arrows
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Dash

Post by Dash »

You have to laugh at wikipedias version of a "modern crossbow bolt" :lol: . Where do wiki get their information from ?
this picture that they use, doesn't resemble any modern crossbow bolt I've ever come accross. Has anyone else ever seen a "modern crossbow bolt" used like this one ? It would be interesting to know.
I've also spent a lot of time looking at historic weapons when I was in europe and china which are the main historic regions of crossbow use. But haven't seen any version of a crossbow bolt that looks anything like that. Although there are many very different versions of ancient crossbow bolts from different countries and different ages, "nearly all of them resemble some type of an arrow" with fletching except only a couple of all metal verions.
Bolt was only an "english" word to differenciate between the projectile of a bow and a crossbow regardless of material or size. Some other countries always used the same word for both. So really neither word is wrong.
But with modern crossbows the design has slowly come back to a normal shorter arrow anyway. Same materials, parts, just a bit shorter.
Please don't take any offence from my comments Wabi, they're not directed at you. Just stateing that Wikipedia is a very "unreliable" information source. As for what we call it now, I'm easy, both work for me.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

In my opinion; the major controversey about arrows vs bolts is that for the longest time the anti crossbow crowd used the term bolt as a negative. The vertical bow users claim that crossbows do not shoot arrows , but bolts Therefore crossbow use should not be allowed in an "archery season". That's pure horsepuckey, as we all or most of us, know.
To try and combat the negative connotaion about crossbows , most pro crossbow people call the projectiles arrows. This helped somewhat to reverse the negative meaning of "bolts"
IF the anti crossbow crowd would completely go away then calling crossbow projectiles arrows or bolts would not be an issue.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Boo

Post by Boo »

The crossbow and it's bolt was originally brought out for warfare in Europe to penetrate the armor of the enemy because arrows would not penetrate the metal clad warriors. The ones who wore armor were the upper class who could afford the protection from the arrows. Soon after the rich began to die they complained to the Pope and he declared crossbows with their heavy metal penetrating bolts unfit for war.
Our arrows are a tad longer than the arrows used by an over draw system and are not capable of penetrating armor at long distances like bolts are. I call them arrows and if some inbred wants to call the bolts I could give a carp! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
SScott

Post by SScott »

I don't think it matters. People who don't want Crossbows used during bow season don't care. They are not going to look up the rich history of the arbalest in Ancient China or Medieval Europe. They have made up their minds, and they will believe whatever they choose to believe. Yes, I think it's sad, but other than feed the market for crossbows and crossbow related goods, there's not much I can do.
Dash

Post by Dash »

[quote="DaGriz"]In my opinion; the major controversey about arrows vs bolts is that for the longest time the anti crossbow crowd used the term bolt as a negative.

I agree mate. The word crossbow and bolt seem to be used in a negative way here, unlike a vertical bow. I received an email reply from one of the archery assosiation heads the other week saying, he did not consider crossbow a form of archery, and it has no place in archery here. He said the crossbow was more like a rifle and he didn't want any association with them. It's amazing that since the days of peasants killing knights, the negative attitude towards crossbows has never been shed, there's still the medievil mentality. There's no real basis to any negative argument against the modern day crossbow now, but unfortunately some persist and keep the negative conatation going.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

No dash, those people are simply ignorant and a little selfish, that is until they might one day require a crossbow when they cannot shoot their compound anymore. Take them out one at a time and invite them to your place to shoot a crossbow at 250 yards. Dont forget to record it. Hows that for "rifle-like" hehehehe
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Boo wrote:The crossbow and it's bolt was originally brought out for warfare in Europe to penetrate the armor of the enemy because arrows would not penetrate the metal clad warriors. The ones who wore armor were the upper class who could afford the protection from the arrows. Soon after the rich began to die they complained to the Pope and he declared crossbows with their heavy metal penetrating bolts unfit for war.
Our arrows are a tad longer than the arrows used by an over draw system and are not capable of penetrating armor at long distances like bolts are. I call them arrows and if some inbred wants to call the bolts I could give a carp! :mrgreen
OUCH !!
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

whatever ya choose to call it its inconsequential, its omething that passes thru the dee i shoot with it!!